Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Driver Door Handle Fault

Views : 2065

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2016, 20:07   #1
TTR

Default Driver Door Handle Fault

Hi all,

Well it's at least 2 months since any glitches so it's doing well 😂

The drivers door handle is definitely getting loose, I have greased the mechanism from the outside with silicone grease but still no better.

It appears to me that it's just wear and tear. From the outside the hinge side ( on the right if you stand infront) is gradually getting looser and slacker. I am sure it must be worn internal fixings. The mechanism feels like it's sticking but it's just the level of slack that is developing (( I thinks)

Before it fails completely does anyone know how to strip these out or offer any advice as to what the problem is ?

It must involve the door card of, do I need to disconnect the battery at all to safeguard the elctriccs or are all the window and mirrors switches just multi plug?

Can you then get to the mech and how is it held in ?

Can you get replacement parts or is it a whole new assembly?

Anyone got a diagram?

All input welcome as usual.

Typical it will fail just as we are forecast to get snow!

Cheers all
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:40   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

I think I may have a similar problem. Both of my front door handles can be hard to open at times, with some people giving up and thinking the door is locked. It seems there is some play in the handle and unless you have it in the right place, it will not open!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 10:06   #3
GrantA
Master Member

Spooky or what.... I noticed the same the other day, rear doors are fine but drivers door, and to a lesser extent the front passenger door, seem to need that extra bit of effort to open. It is like there a "ridge" worn in the mechanism and you have to pull the handle over it before the door opens. I've checked all the handles and they are all the same i.e. not loose as such with just the front doors giving me the "problem".

Like TTR and tt82 any advice gratefully received....... It's -3C here so don't want to stand around outside freezing my rollocks off investigating if there is an easy answer or is it a job for a sunny (sic) day??

How to take the door card off is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UpoWWpP2U
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 13:31   #4
TTR

Granta TT82

Thanks for the responses, i get the feeling mine might just fail soon !!

It would seem from your responses the problem is the same as mine, drivers side definatley worse than passenger as you would expect.

Did some digging and handle may just come off without taking door card out, or so it appears although i really would like any feedback from anyone just to confirm.

Undo rubber plug on inside of door
Disconnect battery if you have keyless
Turn torx25 screw 4 turns
Handle pops out
Juggle electrical plug off

Hay presto!

Can it really be that simple ???

Might be forced into trying this weekend

Then its a question of whats worn and spares and will it make it worse if i refit - I love cars.....

Cheers all for the replies thus far
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 22:03   #5
RogerTo

Haynes for the V70 covers door handles, specifically outer handle removal and refitting, front door lock cylinder removal and refitting, Front door lock assembly removal and refitting, rear door lock assembly removal and refitting, door interior handle removal and refitting, as well as door cards, trim panels, glass etc. Looads of stuff.

Got Halfords (inverness) only copy couple of weeks ago (sorry GrantA, they might have another one in by now)

Cheers all.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 22:09   #6
RogerTo

and more specifically,
Outer handle
1 The operation is the same for front and rear doors
2Prise out the cap at the top of the doors rear edge (with illustration)
3 Insert a screwdriver through the hole and loosen the screw by no more than 5 turns. On the drivers door the screw should be loosened by no more than 7 turns which will release the lock cylinder and it's cover from the handle (again with illustrations)
4 Remove the outer handle, disengaging the forward pivot from the location in the door. Recover the rubber seal between the handle and the door when removing.
5 Models with keyless entry systems have wiring connected to the outer handle. As the handle is withdrawn gently pull the wiring connector forwards to lock it in position before removing the connector.
6 Refitting is the reverse.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 22:30   #7
GrantA
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerTo View Post
Got Halfords (inverness) only copy couple of weeks ago (sorry GrantA, they might have another one in by now)
No worries Roger I already have a copy, just hadn't got round to reading "Chapter 11.6 Bodywork and Fittings" mainly because I squirted some oil into all the locks the other day and the driver's one seems a bit easier. I've put the job on the back burner for the better weather - too bloody cold to work outside at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantA For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 23:14   #8
RogerTo

Too right it's too cold. I now have a garage, but the only car I can get into it is my '81 Mini, so that's getting a suspension rebuild. I could get the Volvo in, but only with 3 inches clearance. Not so handy...
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 20:16   #9
TTR

Rogerto and Granta

Cheers gents for the updates and additional info.

Will be giving it a go as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

I can just imagine stripping it out and the snow arrives ! No car and no chance to try the XC for one of the reasons I bought it.

RogerTo,

I rebuilt a 89 mini I got for my 30 birthday many years ago. Remember stripping it out, full respray and front and rear subframe swap refurbish and rebuild - enjoy.

Cheers all
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 23:00   #10
RogerTo

Mine's an auto which arrived (bought off eBay, sight unseen) in the back of a local removal firm's lorry, from Cheltenham, where it had an unstressed and salt free life tootling to the shops with an old couple, racking up a staggering 30,000 miles. Barely a speck of rust anywhere! It's a bit of a keeper. Taught No.1 kid to drive in it, No.2 is too tall and not interested, No.3 and 4 have a few years to wait. With cheap insurance and a minimal top speed in comparison to anything modern, it's a good option. And turns out to be a sound investment and a fun hobby for me! Wins all round :-)