Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on buying volvo

Views : 1924

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 25th, 2019, 15:09   #41
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
So just found out this s40 d5 I want to look at today has no service history with it..

But guy says it drives fine and no problems

Still worth going to look ?
With no service history you're starting to take a risk, has it been serviced at all? if you've only got the guys word for it. If you've got the reg number you could look up its MOT history and see if it passes first time each year or has to have basic repairs after it fails or things that the owner should have cared enough to do like changing worn out tyres.
You need to assess for yourself what risk you can afford and are willing to take. For 'my' car I usually buy cheap and am prepared to take my chances, I'm in the fortunate position that paying less than £2000 for a car (after I've done what I can to check it) is something I can afford so if it does turn out to be no good I'd be sorry to lose the money but I could just buy another one. My level of ability at fixing it also comes into play, if you're not confident with that you need to be more confident of the car to start with. For 'the wife's' car she wants something newer with some peace of mind that it won't go wrong, we spend nearer to £10,000 on her car so it's a much more rigorous process to buy it.

I also usually spend quite some time researching the car I want to buy before I start really looking for the one to buy, reading forums and other internet sources for what is good and bad about that model, and also watching what is selling on ebay, ebay may not be perfect but you can see a number of cars go by and see what they sell for at the end (asking price and selling price are different things), there may be some that once they've sold you'll wish you'd put a bid on but with reasonably common cars like the S40 there will be another one coming along soon and then you'll know what it's worth.

MOT test here link
Tax isn't transferable but you can check that too here

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 15:23   #42
Benholder90

Turns out it was sold that's what he says anyway ..

So will wait for another one to come up

There is a 2007 s60 d5 for sale near me it's on 86k but has soot filter full message and from the sounds of it has loss of power sometimes

Would this mean having to replace the dpf?
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 16:11   #43
Benholder90

I spoke to the dealer he says dpf is full and car has loss of power ..

So is it possible to clean the dpf? Or does it mean I would have to fit another one ?
Benholder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:27   #44
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benholder90 View Post
I spoke to the dealer he says dpf is full and car has loss of power ..

So is it possible to clean the dpf? Or does it mean I would have to fit another one ?
There are firms that clean HGV dpf filters, you have to remove them from the vehicle and send it to them. Cost in the midlands I'm told is circa £500.
What's the cost of a new one? What price can you negotiate? Do you have diognostics to check it's just the filter full or are there other issues.

The filter content is measured by the preasure drop across it via 2 sensors as I understand it, is it full or is one or both of the sensors faulty?

The car could be a bargain or a money pit , and only you know the depth of your pocket and ability to diy the diagnosis and repairs of the faults, if you are paying someone to do the work I would walk away now as it will never be a bargain..

Running a landrover discovery 1 as a hobby car it would of been scrapped long ago were I not able to weld it even at back Street prices of £30 an hour, however to be able to diy has cost me a grand in equipment and probably as much again in materials over the years. It's a hobby and keeps me out of the pub but it's not cheap. There is no such thing as a cheap car, if the price is low it's for a reason.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 09:52   #45
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

True that.

I bought mine for whole £800.

By now:

New brakes (whole lot)
Lots of gearbox fluid
New cambelt+tensioners+pump
3 wishbones
Rear shocks
Front shocks
Spark plugs
2 ignition coils
Bottom gearbox mount
Top engine mount X2
Battery
Cost of Dice
Oils, tyres, bulbs, filters, wipers.. The usual.

And lots of tools, of course.

And I can't help it- I love this car.

Frankly, if I was to change it, there is only one other that I'd like, sometimes I do think about it, and check the web for availability and prices, but this thing is as rare as snakes toenails.

Volvo XC70 3.2 6-pot petrol, automatic, BLACK leather, WITHOUT 4C.

Last edited by ThomasG; May 26th, 2019 at 09:55.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 10:02   #46
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
True that.

And I can't help it- I love this car.

Frankly, if I was to change it, there is only one other that I'd like, sometimes I do think about it, and check the web for availability and prices, but this thing is as rare as snakes toenails.

Volvo XC70 3.2 6-pot petrol, automatic, BLACK leather, WITHOUT 4C.
V70s do tend to grow on you, Thomas!

Anyway, 'rare as snakes' toenails', eh? Thats a new one on me; are they rarer or more abundant than hens' teeth? I sense a new thread in the making?!

Regards, John.
Old May 26th, 2019, 10:50   #47
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Hahah!

Am I marked as the "entertainer" now?

I think "clown" would be more fitting at times

No- no new thread. Today and tomorrow I'm busy.

On one hand I've got AC problems, so have to pull Vida out and run some checks.

On the other.. 5 kinds of meat, some of it bathing in various salts for few days now, spices and whatnot, mincer..

If I roll these sausages today, I'll be smoking it all tomorrow

Fun time
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 16:24   #48
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
I would agree

True, I would miss the boot..

So I'll stick with V70. Pretty much same thing+ boot.

BTW: with a D5 163bhp one doesn't need to worry about dpf..
I have a 2007 S80 2.4D (163bhp). Does this have a DPF? I was under the impression that the models with the grey engine cover in the engine bay did.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote