Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T4 clutch not fully disengaging

Views : 1059

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 14:31   #1
-bobda-

Default T4 clutch not fully disengaging

Hello again.

The clutch on my new T4 (2003) doesn't seem to disengage fully. What I mean, is that when I am stopped and I depress the clutch to the bottom and move into first gear, there is a definite resistance on moving the gearstick.

I've checked the obvious (ie mat under the clutch pedal!) and there's nothing restricting it.

Could it be a fluid level thing? Buggered slave cylinder? Dodgy clutch? I'm assuming that it has a hydraulic clutch, so adjustment is not possible, right?

It's done 53000 miles and I doubt it will have had a clutch change, but 53000 is low for a clutch to go, I think.
-bobda- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:24   #2
kilou

Not sure about cars with M56 boxes but hydraulic clutch can be adjusted sometimes (as on the M5P gearboxes). However I think Haynes recommend not to alter the adjustment on turbo cars..

Anyway I'd first check the fluid level yes and if leaks are present at master or slave cylinder. Again I'm not sure on turbo cars if the slave cylinder is accessible outside the box or is inside but try your best to see if you have hydraulic fluid somewhere.

Also if no leak is apparent try to bleed the clutch hydraulics thoroughly. Maybe you just have some air in there.

However do ou only have trouble to go into first gear or does it happen with all gears? I'd say if it happens all the time it may be related to clutch but if it's only in 1st gear maybe the cables need some adjustment. Also check the engine/gearbox mount: probably less sensitive with a cable commanded gearbox but if the engine/box is misaligned you may have troubles with some gearshifts.
kilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 17:33   #3
-bobda-

Just checked the level and it is fine, it's over half way to maximum.
I'll recheck again at a later date, but I don't think there is a leak.

What is the procedure to bleed? Cap off, pump footbrake and clutch, or something totally different? I assume the reservoir to be the highest point in the system...

It has resistance on all gears, it's just more noticeable going into first from a standstill as the engine is at idle speed. If I bring the engine speed up a touch before going into gear, it becomes slightly easier.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 00:33   #4
kilou

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bobda- View Post
Just checked the level and it is fine, it's over half way to maximum.
I'll recheck again at a later date, but I don't think there is a leak.

What is the procedure to bleed? Cap off, pump footbrake and clutch, or something totally different? I assume the reservoir to be the highest point in the system...

It has resistance on all gears, it's just more noticeable going into first from a standstill as the engine is at idle speed. If I bring the engine speed up a touch before going into gear, it becomes slightly easier.

Maybe it's a sticky clutch. It can happen if the clutch disc is not moving freely on the input shaft and rubs against the flywheel when clutch is depressed. Revving the engine a little is sometimes enough to allow the clutch to slip more and engae gears. However it could also be all the other things too. You mentionned the level is half way up? The important thing is that it must cover the hole that feeds the clutch hydraulic. If that hole in the reservoir gets uncovered it can/will suck air in the system. So yes first think is probably to add fluid and bleed the clutch hydraulic. To bleed you slowly depress the clutch pedal and ask someone to open the bleed screw on the slave cylinder (I have no idea if this can be done this way on the M56 boxes because I don't know if the slave cylinder is inside or outside the bellhousing). Just before being down to the floor with the pedal your assistant must close the bleed screw so that you can pump another time etc etc. But if you can get a pressure bleeding kit it's much more easier.

I don't think that having the reservoir at the top is a real problem. Bubbles that go up to the liquid surface in the reservoir will just get out of the system as well. But maybe if you incline the car so that bleed screw is a little higher it may be good ??
kilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 14:50   #5
-bobda-

Thumbs up

I'll try topping up the fluid a little bit as it was close to the hole. I assumed the fluid would be drawn from the bottom of the reservoir.

It seems to be slightly temperamental, sometimes it's great - other times it has a clunk when moving into gear.
I've not worked out the correlation yet, perhaps it's something to do with being on a slope and the feed hole not being covered?
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 15:27   #6
pphilpot
Premier Member

Could it be the gear oil? Maybe low or poor quality?
pphilpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 15:31   #7
-bobda-

Don't think so, it's definitely not disengaging fully. Sometimes!