Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF filter blocked and trouble forcing regen with VIDA(help)

Views : 2433

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 18th, 2018, 12:45   #1
WilBo

Default DPF filter blocked and trouble forcing regen with VIDA(help)

Hi,
I've got a 2010 C30 1.6D (only 11,000 miles) and have been having some trouble with my DPF and getting it to regen in VIDA.

As a bit of background, the engine management light came on after I nearly ran out of fuel. So I initially thought it might have had something to do with that, but it turned out just to be a coincidence.

I took it to a mate's garage, who lent me his Snap-On diagnostics tool and sure enough I got a 'DPF filter blocked' code. I tried forcing a regen but it would not start the regen saying 'conditions not met' or something.

When I read the initial fault code I also got a 'Additive sensor, faulty signal' code and as the car was fairly new to me and I had no idea when the Eolys fluid had last been filled I decided to get some fluid so that I could make sure there was fluid in there. Sure enough I had to add a whole litre of fluid before it just started to drip out of the overflow pipe.

I'm guessing that despite the low mileage the Eolys fluid had ran out and so the car could not regen itself during long journeys and so the soot built up in the DPF.

So, now I was happy that the fluid was topped up I took the car to a Halfords Autocentre and got them to do a 'Deep clean', where they basically spray some chemicals into the DPF to help the soot burn off quicker and then they force a regen. I explained that I had topped up the Eolys fluid and they said they would reset the level on the computer.

After that the car ran brilliantly for about 1,000 miles. However, last week the I started to get the 'DPF blocked' fault code again (P242F on a generic code reader), but no other codes.

Frustrated with not knowing exactly what is going on I decided to get a VIDA-DICE system. So after hours and hours of fun (read agonising pain involving ending up buying a second hand laptop running Windows 7 Pro) I finally managed to get VIDA to work.

So with VIDA now working last night I read the codes and got the following:
ECM-2A30 'Particulate Trap - Blocked'
ADM-0002 'Additive level sensor, Faulty signal'
CEM-DE11 'Communication with ECM control module signal missing'

I also read the pressure sensor output to see what was going on there and got the following:
- 18 hpa at idle
- 40 hpa at 2k rpm
- 90 hpa at 2.5k rpm

I also swapped out the pressure sensor to make sure that it wasn't a faulty sensor giving dodgy readings and I got almost exactly the same readings on the new pressure sensor.

I then sprayed some Wurth DPF cleaner into the DPF via the temp sensor hole, replaced the temp sensor and tried to force a regen. First attempt it failed to start but eventually I managed to get it started. The regen process took over and the revs increased to about 4k rpm, a load of smoke chucked out of the exhaust and it continued for about 15 minutes then slowed down to an idle for a while.

As soon as the regen started the dialogue box for the regen where you click 'Start' said something like 'Process completed successfully' and the regen started. The dialogue box stayed like this during the whole process and after the engined slowed back down to an idle I waited for about 5-8 mins but nothing seemed to be happening so I clicked stop.

NB - I was expecting a screen to come up telling me how many grams soot were in the DPF (or percent blocked) along with loads of other parameters like DPF temp, but nothing like that came up.

I then turned the engine off and back on again and then to position II and re-read the fault codes. There were no fault codes so I checked the DPF pressure sensor again and got the following:
- 9 hpa at idle
- 11 hpa at 2k rpm
- 18 hpa at 2.5k rpm

I took it for a quick test drive and it seemed to be ok. However, when my wife got in the car this morning to go out the engine management light has come back on and I'm getting the 'P242F - DPF trap blocked' fault code on my generic reader.

So my questions are this:

1) does it sound like the forced regen worked properly in VIDA (15 mins seems a bit short and it didn't end on by itself)?
2) Should the regen parameter screen popped up in VIDA (2014D) during the regen and if not how do I set it to come on?
3) Could it be that the forced regen failed halfway through because it doesn't like the 'Additive level sensor, faulty signal' code? and if so what could be causing this?

Sorry for the long-winded post but I've tried to include as much relevant detail as possible.

Cheers,
WilBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 22:35   #2
WilBo

Ok,
So, bit of an update (just in case anyone has a similar problem and reads this thread). I got in the car on the Tuesday to do the weekly commute and it was fine. No engine management light and it drove fine for 150 miles, and 150 miles back this evening.

I don't know why, but it seems that the generic bluetooth fault code reader that I keep in the car must have been reading a pending code that cleared up on the next drive cycle or something.

It seems the VIDA regen worked after all. It was a bit of a pain to get the VIDA-DICE system working though. And I can't believe what a pain in the arse the DPF is. From looking at other threads in the forum it seems that DPF trouble with these cars from the same period is not an isolated issue.

Cheers,
WilBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 05:29   #3
Toprivetguns

Any update on this ?
Toprivetguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 06:29   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Sure enough I had to add a whole litre of fluid before it just started to drip out of the overflow pipe.
Did you reset the counter using your Vida Dice? It then tells the system the Eolys tank has been topped up, otherwise the car will still think it is empty.

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpf, regen, vida dice