Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2013 D5 twin turbo DPF issue

Views : 944

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2019, 13:05   #1
Bikerp

Default 2013 D5 twin turbo DPF issue

Hello all, I bought a 2013 S80 D5 twin turbo manual box ex undercover car with 146k on the clock in Jan 2018, very quick compared to my old 2003 S80 D5, had it serviced as per schedule in summer and no issues at all until just before this Xmas. Driving profile 2 short journeys per week and every 3 weeks 200 miles of motorway work.

Reduced performance rabbit icon came up and went into limp mode, day after it had cleared then 2 miles in came up Engine System service and Soot filter Full ( back into limp mode ) got the mobile tech out with laptop, error codes showing DPF full and needs manual regeneration, also reporting O2 sensor faulty. Had the manual regeneration almost an hour of static running 500rpm off the redline, brutal !

All error codes clear, run for 10 miles and back into limp mode with same codes (Engine system and Soot Filter) back on.

So has anybody encountered this before, surely cant be DPF full again so soon so I'm assuming faulty sensors maybe ?

Paul.
Bikerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 13:59   #2
I-S
Premier Member

In general the twin turbo engines have reliable DPF systems. There are, however, parts around the system that can cause problems.

Two common(ish) causes to check are:

DPF Pressure sensors - if the pressure sensors are faulty then you'll get false reports of soot filter full (as the sensors determine a large pressure drop across the DPF that is actually not there).

Intake leak - Split intercoolers are a known issue, as are leaks from the boost piping. A leak here results in inaccurate air/fuel ratios (boost leaks, less air goes into cylinder than anticipated, too much fuel for the air present) and generation of significant excess soot, causing the DPF to clog up quickly.

You have an O2 sensor issue already logged, and that could be the cause - resolve that fault and clear the DPF again, then see where you're at. If you still have an issue, check the items above.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 14:21   #3
Bikerp

Thumbs up

Many Thanks for the advice, Tech coming in the morning with laptop to check fault codes, will pass on your items to check.

Paul.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 09:46   #4
Bikerp

Thumbs up Update

Tech arrived yesterday morning and I passed on the potential fault list, quickly located split pipe under the air filter coming from the bottom of the intercooler into the intake manifold, got one on order along with o2 sensor, will update again after fitting

Paul.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 17:37   #5
ExCee70
VOC Member

Don't know if this will help but my 2012 D5 XC70 went into limp mode last summer. No power and would hardly accelerate.

Cleared the next time I drove it but I could hear a hissing sound when accelerating with the window down. Culprit was a damaged bottom intercooler hose. Standing at the front of the car with bonnet open, down the left of the radiator is the intercooler hose. The bracket which supports wiring loom just as the hose turns towards the front panel of the car had rubbed through the hose. I had to manipulate the hose away from the bracket to be able to feel where it had rubbed through as you just cannot see it from above.

New hose from Volvo was £80'ish and the new ones come with a protective sheath the prevent further rubbing. I also cut the sharp edge off the plastic bracket to make sure it didn't do it again.

Not saying this is your problem.....just saying it might be something worth checking.

1967 123GT running resto
2012 XC70 SE Lux D5 with Polestar
ExCee70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 22:41   #6
I-S
Premier Member

That sounds a possible culprit. Keep us updated.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 12:05   #7
Bikerp

Talking Update

So, had the split intercooler hose replaced (from the front of the car lower right hand from the intercooler to manifold) and the O2 sensor, manual regen (again) and all seems well at the moment, noticed improved mpg being indicated, apart from that nothing else different.

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

Paul.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerp For This Useful Post: