Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 145234

Replies : 922

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2019, 00:25   #281
malc-c
Master Member

Today I replaced the radiator in my V70 (1999 - S plate)
(see my thread https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296326 )
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 21:34   #282
ITSv40
VOC Member

When I bought the convertible the rust and stripped paint on the servo was very apparent - sloppy topping up from a Volvo dealer no less.

It was one of the jobs on the to do list - but could not decide how to tackle. Either a new servo from Volvo or repaint the original. Anyway, found a good almost rust free servo on the bay that was the same part number as mine, so a few days later servo arrives.

Today, I have stripped the connectors off and de-rusted it and generally prepped ready for painting. Next stage is the POR 15 process - then fitting later in the year when the paint is fully cured and hardened.

One thing I was keen to salvage is the part number label. I have successfully removed it without damage - soaked it with rubbing alcohol, got a new stanley knife blade under one corner and carefully lifted the label off whilst soaking the glue with the alcohol. The label is plastic and came off remarkably easy. Once the painting is done, I need to work out how to re-glue it back on.

Attachment shows it ready for the next stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20190714_001.jpg (224.6 KB, 12 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 22:26   #283
Cookeh
Premier Member

I really need to do mine, but what is involved in removing it? Is it a huge job or relatively simple? Weirdly my Google-skills are failing me immensely.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 22:50   #284
ITSv40
VOC Member

The servo unbolts from the bulkhead fairly easily, but the engine needs to be moved forward in order to get enough clearance for the servo to be removed. The pushrod is the critical component in all of this and there is not enough room to remove without moving the engine. This was one reason why I bought a good secondhand one so it could be re-furbished before any dismantling.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 18:57   #285
Martin Cox
VOC Member

Took my 1998 V70 Tdi Auto for its MoT this afternoon I took it to the local Volvo dealer who has done all the earlier tests. Happily it passed with one advisory for a bit of wear on one tyre edge. Not bad for 21 years and nearly 225,000 miles. Even the emissions were passed with ease on a single acceleration.

Well pleased!

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Cox For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 19:59   #286
vorlon7

Today started to tidy up front brake pipes on my 99 v70 having let it sit in drive for some months decided to put it in for Mot and make decision on it Had relaced rear bumper mounts a common issue and surpise it passed but I knew it needed some brake work so expecting trouble stated to check it out both front calipers seized and pads delaminated so new pads f/r discs and drum disc found a good pair calipers to recon but as I often find heat cold nor the four horsemen could undo the brake pipes so made some up module end always shifts wheel end even when cut off and put in vice and torched is still immovable! Tomorrow vacuum bleed and there will be no stopping me ..No hang on thats not quite the right idea.
vorlon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 22:33   #287
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
When I bought the convertible the rust and stripped paint on the servo was very apparent - sloppy topping up from a Volvo dealer no less.

It was one of the jobs on the to do list - but could not decide how to tackle. Either a new servo from Volvo or repaint the original. Anyway, found a good almost rust free servo on the bay that was the same part number as mine, so a few days later servo arrives.

Today, I have stripped the connectors off and de-rusted it and generally prepped ready for painting. Next stage is the POR 15 process - then fitting later in the year when the paint is fully cured and hardened.

One thing I was keen to salvage is the part number label. I have successfully removed it without damage - soaked it with rubbing alcohol, got a new stanley knife blade under one corner and carefully lifted the label off whilst soaking the glue with the alcohol. The label is plastic and came off remarkably easy. Once the painting is done, I need to work out how to re-glue it back on.

Attachment shows it ready for the next stage.
Right, so having prepped it last weekend I set too and painted it yesterday.

I have used POR 15: First off a de-grease and washed off with water then Metal Prep applied and kept wet for 30 mins or so to treat the rust and phosphate the metal - this was then washed off with clean water and left to dry thoroughly.

Next up, two thin coats of rust encapsulating paint applied by brush and allowed to tak dry between coats then two thin coats of Top Coat satin finish applied by aerosol can.

I was concerned the brush applied paint would show the brush marks, but the paint is self levelling and no brush marks left. I am quite pleased with the result - just need to leave to fully harden and then fit in a few weeks time when I have some free time. Attachments show the finished result.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190722_204814 (1024x1024).jpg (109.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190722_204910 (1024x1024).jpg (105.3 KB, 20 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 01:24   #288
daniel mossey

Default New front shocks

Replaced new front b4 bilsteins today and put on a new calip. V70 r
daniel mossey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel mossey For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 11:41   #289
Richard_TD
Master Member

I've not had any time to check the car over this year so I had to present it as-is and hope for the best. It passed with one advisory for a track rod end, which I'll be changing today.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 18:41   #290
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_TD View Post
I fitted all the cruise control bits to my 850 a couple of weeks ago but it didn't work. Yesterday I investigated and found that there were two reasons for this, both related to the donor car being an automatic S70 and not a manual 850.

The pull rod (25,25,26) was telescopic, not the hinged arrangement you see here. Even with the bellows fully retracted it didn't start to pull the pedal. It needs to be telescopic or hinged so you can operate the accelerator without compressing the bellows, so my initial thought of gluing it to a fixed length wouldn't have worked.

When I fitted the parts I was pleasantly surprised to find that the brackets (27 and 29) were already in place. I should have looked closer, they are quite different.

With the S70 brackets in place the pull rod was able to work properly and I took it out for another test drive. It still didn't work, which brings me to the other difference.

With the donor being an automatic it didn't have a clutch valve. The brake and clutch valves (12 and 15, they are identical) work in two ways. When the plunger is released it opens a valve that lets air in to discharge the vacuum pressure, and it also opens a switch to cancel the cruise. Once I'd thought about it I realised all I had to do was bridge the contacts on the clutch valve plug.

That got the cruise control working, so all I have to do now is buy another brake/cluch valve and some vacuum connections and it'll be a proper job.

With the exception of grubbing around under the steering column, which is never fun, it was all surprisingly easy to do. All the electrical connections and mounting points are already there.
I managed to find another V70 donor car, also an auto, for the remaining bits so the installation was completed in the scrapyard car park and tested on the way home.