Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cambelt jumped a tooth.

Views : 26222

Replies : 286

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 21:36   #1
lou

Default cambelt jumped a tooth.

hi all, think me cambelt has jumped a tooth, have now checked it 3 times and it still comes back to the same postion, your thoughts please.

and im 100% the crank is lined up. is in the same postion as this one.

Last edited by lou; Feb 17th, 2010 at 21:41.
lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 21:38   #2
charlotte001
Premier Member

Default cam belt

I would check to see if the tensioner is operating correctly and or is the belt stretched oh did you use a new belt? Hopefully you haven't bent any valves as it's half a tooth out and depending on how many times you've tried to start the car you may or may not have done damage to the valves.

Replace the belt and see if that resolves any issues with the car

make sure the engine rotates without resistance if there is a lot then the head will have to be removed to check the valves for bending otherwise try replacing the belt
Previous Volvos:850 GLT 2.5 20V Auto Saloon Silver. 1997 850 T-5 Auto Estate Nautic Blue Chipped ECU, V70 TCV, Carbon Cased Filter, 17inch alloys, Rattling Engine masking the suspension rattles. Engine doesn't rattle anymore

Last edited by charlotte001; Feb 17th, 2010 at 21:48.
charlotte001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 22:00   #3
dan

Default jumped tooth

my timing jumped on my s70 t5 it cut out and wouldn't restart then when i dismantled it 13 valves were bent . i cant remember the exact details of timing marks as it was over a year ago but i fitted a new tensioner when i put car back together and it hasn't happened since it was about 70 quid for part . strange thing was old tensioner was still working but must have lost its strength for a sec to let belt slip . hope this helps .
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2010, 23:57   #4
lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte001 View Post
I would check to see if the tensioner is operating correctly and or is the belt stretched oh did you use a new belt? Hopefully you haven't bent any valves as it's half a tooth out and depending on how many times you've tried to start the car you may or may not have done damage to the valves.

Replace the belt and see if that resolves any issues with the car

make sure the engine rotates without resistance if there is a lot then the head will have to be removed to check the valves for bending otherwise try replacing the belt
not yet changed the belt, and it starts first time etc, just it runs on when you turn it off, has been doing it for a few wks etc. gunna try and up load the short vid of it .
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 00:25   #5
lou

how do you put the link on for a vid from youtube, and do you have to be signed into youtube for others to view.

Last edited by lou; Feb 18th, 2010 at 00:31.
lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 00:42   #6
no1toker

ooooppppps
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 03:08   #7
thealchemyst
Master Member

what makes you think its out? and why would it have changed if youve not had the belt off? looking at the picture you seem to have marked the tooth gap and on the other sprocket the tooth itself! that will make it difficult to line up properly even if its not jumped out!.
every car ive ever known that the belt has jumped has usually been more than 1 tooth and engine damage has resulted the only times ive known the belt to be/ or appear to be 1 or 1/2 a tooth out has been when the belt has been changed and mis-timed.
check the belt is under proper tension as if its not it will effect the position of the cam wheels in relation to each other and the crank.
1995 850 t5 glt estate purple,FK-40mm,stainless exhaust polybushed,wilwood4pot+s60r discs,mbc,019 battery,18" c30 alloys,michelin pilots,silicone hoses,braided brake lines,HID's,ipd track swaybars 25+mpg :0) @Prescott Hillclimb
thealchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 12:45   #8
Toplights
VOC Member 23660

I have just done the timing belt on my 960 and it was a bit further out than yours is showing,dont worey it wont be damaged but you must check out why its happenend in the first place.
I have to say lining up the cam timing via a plastic cover is awfull and bad design imho,mine was warped.
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 13:22   #9
grass hopper
Premier Member

Smile

looking at the photos the marks are about right,when changing cambelts they hardly ever lined up perfect.

if I remember there is an air solenoid somewhere that shuts off to stop running on,this could be faulty (if fitted on your engine)
Old Feb 18th, 2010, 17:14   #10
lou

mines gone right down hill, runs like a bag of sh.t- popping through the exhaust and when you put your foot down there just isnt the same amount of power there anymore. looking at the other posts re timing marks, they all say the top 2 should line up spot on in the v,s mine has always felt lumpy on idel, and when you rev it , it feels like its missing , and on tick over you can feel it missing if you just hold the sterring wheel, all has been changed ie leads-cap-arm-plugs. you can also here the pitch of the engine running change through the exhaust.