Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Tuning Chips - are they really any good?

Views : 15783

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:16   #1
mattman73

Default D5 Tuning Chips - are they really any good?

Looking at a couple of tuning boxes on ebay at the moment - 2nd hand - one is a CR Green Edition, another is a CR Ecobox

are these things acutally any good does anyone know or are they more likely to do damage to the engine?
mattman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 12:27   #2
shark90
Shark Performance

Most tuning boxes only plug into the fuelling which is an instant receipe for DPF problems (more fuel without more boost = more smoke which will clog the DPF). I don't know about either of those two tuning boxes unless you have a link but be wary of what can happen.
t: 01623 332233

10% off remaps and vehicle servicing to VolvoForums members
shark90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 10:30   #3
JimG
Premier Member

I would stick with Polestar or, if you really want something else, use a tried and tested upgrade. MTE has been mentioned on this forum with no issues - so far!

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 11:16   #4
chadders1033

I'd steer clear of cheap gimmicks on ebay they promise the earth and deliver very little apart from grief. I know a proper tuner who knows what he's doing and will never deliver something or promise anyhting which could damage your engine. he's an experienced ECU tuner who has invested thousands of £'s in equipment to enhance a cars performance if you want his details PM me.
chadders1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 13:31   #5
andreasb

Polestar, MTE, Rica or BSR.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 13:41   #6
The Painter

Rica, nothing else comes close, if your car is under warranty make sure you but it with the soft loader in order to remove the map prior to servicing or warranty claims.
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 14:35   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Not a lot more nees to be said really, excellent advise from those above.

The tuning boxes just fool the ecu in to providing more fuel etc... it really can damage things. For the sake of the extra cost and your beloved car/engine then you don't want to be taking chances. It will cost you in the long run.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:12   #8
PsYcHe

Unless it's a tuning box from a 'name' then leave well alone... Though remaps can be good. Had my 165 remapped to '200-ish' with a local company and it's much better, though the gearbox lag from stop is still there
PsYcHe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:37   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Unless it's a tuning box from a 'name' then leave well alone... Though remaps can be good. Had my 165 remapped to '200-ish' with a local company and it's much better, though the gearbox lag from stop is still there
A remap is not going to do anything for a box, have you tried to see if Volvo have an update (TCM) available for your model? This may well help out with your lag.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 21:51   #10
The Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
A remap is not going to do anything for a box, have you tried to see if Volvo have an update (TCM) available for your model? This may well help out with your lag.

Not always true, a good remap can change and enhance the parameters of an automatic gearbox, again I refer to the Rica map which can and does reduce the delay of the standard map if your car suffers from this, if the map is well written then the change to these parameters will go hand in hand with the engine and performance.

I have no association with Rica whatsoever but I have owned a lot of re-mapped vehicles and at the moment no one ( in my opinion ) comes close in terms of value for money and maintaining reliability.

Link Here. http://www.rica.nl/viewcar.aspx?vehicle=6
The Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vaiotag