Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Peculiar (or is it common on Volvos) Electrical problem.... Wipers on - Engine dies

Views : 922

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 19:50   #1
Secret Squirrel

Default Peculiar (or is it common on Volvos) Electrical problem.... Wipers on - Engine dies

Splendid site and useful resource - thanks to all - but this time a search hasn't yeilded any results - maybe I'm not searching right, if so apologies.

----

89 Volvo 740 2.0 GL Estate:

Had the car a while and got used to a niggling problem where the wipers turn themselves on, and can only be turned off by use of the screen-wash function.

Also had a minor problem with rough running / stalling after approx 200 miles of fuel use - yes you guessed it the fuel gauge doesn't work. However, a fill-up always seemed to cure it, so more urgent work has been given priority.

So, living with these problems has been OK - except:

Noticed the other day a wild swinging of the rev counter upon indicating right - no actual fluctuation in rpm, just the needle - thought "hmm another minor niggle to look at".

Now I find that the first two problems have now combined into a bigger headache.

As soon as the engine is warm, the wipers turn themselves on. The engine splutters, misfires and dies. Turn ignition on - wipers on again straight away, starts (just) and splutters and dies again. A few minutes embarrasing wait (always at a busy junction isn't it?) ignition on and off enough times until the one time the wipers do not turn on by themselves, fire up and drive.

I mention the indicator thing because during my limp home tonight, one time the magic "no wipers" turn of the ignition key, they were stuck ghalf way across the screen, refusing to park, but no indicators - had to stop as it was too busy to drive without indicators (and possibly other lights, I couldn't get out to check) so pulled up, turned off and on again and back to the spluttering and permanent indicators.

Obviously intending to try changing the relays for fuel pump and wipers/wiper parking.

Wondering however if this scenario sounds familiar to any volvo enthusiast? And if so, any suggestions. (especially as a previous non-volvo car I had did share wiring and fuse between cutoff solenoid and windscreen wipers) The relays do seem warn (not hot) but volvo relays do? Or don't they??

Or any other point where the wipers and fuel or /ignition system may come into conflict to cause this misfire/splutter?

Old Aug 11th, 2005, 23:12   #2
Isis

Default RE: Peculiar (or is it common on Volvos) Electrical problem.... Wipers on - Engine dies

Hi Secret,

Sounds like you have an earth problem somewhere for all these different systems to be interferring with one another. Don't know if your earth points are the same as mine, but check those at the nearside under the bonnet near the headlight, check all the engine earths, there are also some on the o/s near the headlight too. I'd also check the wiper motor itself too..
Isis is offline   Reply With Quote