Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

a smokin..............760 2.3 turbo auto

Views : 965

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 22:49   #1
stuart bance

Default a smokin..............760 2.3 turbo auto

hi all,
i have a wee prob with smoking when i lift off. i think to me it sounds like the oil seals in the turbo. i maybe wrong so i thought i'd ask you lot of good people. if it is could i put stop smoke it the oil for a bit till i get the money and time to source a recon or good second hand one.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 23:31   #2
Beardy Rich

Default RE: a smokin..............760 2.3 turbo auto

Sounds to me as though the valve guide oil seals want looking at.
The engine depression created when you lift your foot off the throttle will tend to suck in any oil escaping past these seals. If your turbo seals were leaking, you'd be smoking all the time as oil is constantly being fed to the turbo bearings.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 09:20   #3
stuart bance

thanks for that mate. just to let you know. i checked the sparks and they came up normal in colour. theres traces of oil goin in to the heat exchanger and out the other side to. just wonderin if there is a bit of oil in that which won't help it. i also took the outlet pipe off the turbo and it still smoked. if you think it is the valve guilds still (just wanted to check with you) can they be done with the head on. i,ve done it on a ford. not easy but save to much strippin down of the engine.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 18:42   #4
Beardy Rich

On all the turbo's that I've looked at, there's almost always some oily deposits in the pipe from the turbo to the engine. Nothing to worry about especially if your engine still smokes with this pipe removed.
I have heard about changing valve stem seals 'in-situ' but haven't ever done this myself. How is it done? Does it involve locking the engine and filling the combustion chamber with compressed air to hold the valves closed. I know it's easy to remove the collets, spring etc by using a hammer & socket but how on earth would you go about replacing them?

Old Feb 25th, 2004, 22:33   #5
stuart bance

well thought i'd let you know that i drove up to doncaster and back and it's not smokin only 2 times on the way back which is alot better than before. still usin abit of oil but i've notice that its seapin out of the oil filer cap so need to replace the rubber seal. as for the valve steams. i've not ever done it in a car before. i've done it in a boat and its very hard as you have to hold the top and then the botterm after takin the springs off. and if you lose one then it all has to come off. but if your lucky then it save replacin all the gaskets etc........ on a car not sure but i think it would be the same. i hope.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 23:08   #6
dvbydt

How much oil? Leaking at the oil filler cap could be a symptom of high
crankcase pressure, which might also cause leakes elsewhere. When did
you last clean out all the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system? Don't forget the pipe that runs over the engine to the filterbox, there is a gauze element where it enters the box that is often neglected.