Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!997 960 2.5 Litre

Views : 1044

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:14   #1
Puddinghead

Default 1997 960 2.5 Litre

Firstly seasons greetings to all.
Had a few relatively minor problems with my car which I thought had all been solved but ........
Car has done just less than 72000 miles.
My previous posts will show I had a faulty cat sensor ( the front one) as shown by a fault code reader which I own. Car was running ok though except for a lumpy idle . Fuel consumption was on short runs about 18 mpg (Imp gallon) which is in line with quoted spec.

Sensor was changed with zero effect.
Mechanic found an inlet manifold leak on number 1 cylinder and replaced gasket. Passed MOT emissions ok. and the car runs beautifully with rock steady idle.
However, Code reader and dash light tells me once again I have a faulty sensor ( same one as before )
Also, since the inlet leak was fixed fuel consumption has increased to to 10 .2 mpg. Checked over 3 tank fulls of fuel.
I shall be returning the car to mechanic in the New Year but would appreciate your expert opinion as to what could be wrong.
Change the sensor again and would this fault give such a dramatic increase in comsumption bearing in mind it had little effect previously.
Regards to all

Last edited by Bob; Dec 29th, 2005 at 12:40.
Puddinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 01:32   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

You haven't developed a heavy right foot have you? First thing to do is clear the fault codes from the diagnostic unit. This should give you back your reasonable consumption figures as your car has locked itself into limp home mode.

All the bes and keep me informed as to your progress, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 15:10   #3
Puddinghead

Thank you Peter for quick response.
No, do not have heavy foot. Most of my trips are 9 miles back and forth to work all within 30/40 miles speed limit.
Dunno about the limp mode. Cannot find any info on that. However, car really drives beautifully with plenty power and and acceleration.
Faulty code (front cat sensor) was cleared after time belt fitted and inlet manifold gasked replaced. But code is back again.
Searched for possble fuel leak but non found.
I will clear the code again and see what happens. All I can think of is that the cat sensor really is faulty and needs changing again.
Incidentally Spark Plugs and filters and oil were replaced about 2000 miles ago .
Only other thing is all four tyres were renewed at time of cam belt change.

regards
Puddinghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 16:42   #4
Mike Arnold
Master Member

I recently had some problems with my 960 with very lumpy driving and it turned out that the air mass sensor had gone out of spec. If it over-reports the amount of air going into the engine the car will run rich and probably confuse the lamda. I believe that you will need a Bosch garage to test it.

All the best
Mike Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote