Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 T5 PCV kit - PPS any good?

Views : 1738

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2020, 21:37   #1
NewbieV70T5

Default V70 T5 PCV kit - PPS any good?

Hi all,

Now I seem to be unable to sell my T5 I'm thinking of continuing my restoration programme with a PCV change; the car is on 264K.

Now, I have two options here, both from Parts Monster.

1 - Genuine Volvo breather box, with some Volvo pipes etc but the main breather pipe as a PPS part (this pipe alone from Volvo is around £170!). Total cost around £135

2 - PPS complete PCV kit including inlet manifold gasket. Total cost which includes all of the above £69.

Now, when I first got the car, I bought a PPS water pump from Parts Monster as I thought it was genuine (his listing is very misleading). The part arrived and I was totally unimpressed with what appeared to be a generic unbranded water pump so promptly sent it back and replaced it with a genuine Volvo part.

Are PPS components any good? I am assuming they can get a breather box and its parts correct? I really don't want to spend a mint on the Volvo kit as its truly money down the drain (not that I'm not used to it!); is the PPS kit good enough to fit?

I know its potentially around 4 hours labour so want to get it right.

Thanks guys.
NewbieV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 23:00   #2
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

I take it the expensive pipe is the one that is heated by the engines coolant system? Does this pipe definitely need replacing?

When I had the PCV changed on the C70 recently I got all the pipes ETC. in but only needed the box and the pipe that runs from the cam cover to the box ( I definately needed this as the old one had disintegrated!! )

When it comes to servicing the PCV, the box is the main part that needs replacing, along with the inlet manifold gasket, the pipes should be visually checked for cracking/degradation/blockages and if they are fine they shouldn't need replacing..

The other item that needs checking is the banjo bolt that attaches the main pipe to the inlet manifold. These can become blocked and need clearing out. Interestingly the banjo bolt on my S60 was blocked up but on the C70 it looked like new!

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 23:10   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Robert DIY on the tube mentioned that the box itself rarely needs replacing, just a good clean out. Sounds reasonable and wonder who has just done that here on the forum? It might be one of the expensive parts of the kit.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2020, 23:29   #4
Aveton Gifford
VOC Member

I have to be honest, on my S60 I did just clean out the PCV box with petrol and it didn't cause any ill effects, infact it is still fine now ( touch wood ) and the car has just rolled onto 260,000 miles. I had the box replaced on the C70 for 2 reasons:

1 it is the wife's car that she runs the children around in so I wanted to
make sure I covered all the bases where reliability was concerned

And

2 I wasn't doing the work myself at home because I'm too old and
arthritic theses days!!😁😁😁

2005 MY C70 2.0T MANUAL

2007 MY XC70 D5 AUTO
Aveton Gifford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 04:35   #5
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I had an 850 which I kept as a donor car, and as a learning opportunity I took the PCV box off of it and tried to find out what was in it and how it worked and might be cleaned. The PCV box doesn't come apart without some damage as the seams are welded together, inside is simply a series of baffles to keep the oil from being drawn up into the pipework and manifold, whilst there's nothing there that would make it uncleanable with the crusty sludgy oil residues inside the baffles I figured without opening it up it would take a lot of solvent and repeated flushing to get it clean inside.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2020, 09:22   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

When I did the PCV service on my S70 T5 a few months back, I used the PFV oil separator box and small hoses, with a genuine Volvo camshaft breather pipe, and did the 5/8in heater hose mod (https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/fo...ic.php?t=53448). I used 5mm ID silicon hose for the other pipes.

All working fine, and the PCV oil box seemed to be of a decent quality.
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 09:49   #7
NewbieV70T5

Thanks, but I decided to buy it all from Volvo including injector O rings.
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 10:20   #8
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

I can see a value in buying from Volvo, it should give you the peace of mind that it will all fit correctly and be of a similar standard to the original which has proved durable over the years since the car was built. As a one off cost that shouldn't reoccur too soon one could justify a higher cost, but I really should do mine soon so I'd be interested to know how that worked out price-wise?

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg

Last edited by DaveNP; Dec 31st, 2020 at 10:22.
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 16:21   #9
NewbieV70T5

OK so I used cross references from Parts Monster. My purchase from Volvo came to around £133 and included:

PCV breather box
Small elbow pipe to block
Push fit rubberised connector at base of breather to block
PCV vent hose to camcover
5 x injector o-rings
Inlet manifold gasket
All new R-type clips for the above

The only part I purchased from PPS was the larger hose that runs around the head; this hose alone was £117 from Volvo so I went after market.

P.s - Do not buy into the elevated Volvo prices on eBay. They're all quite cheap from the dealership without inflation from sellers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NewbieV70T5 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 22:56   #10
oldsaab93

Caffyns in Eastbourne always give me great service and discounted prices on genuine parts. They advertise on eBay but cheaper if you buy direct, speak to Chris Gander.
oldsaab93 is offline   Reply With Quote