Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 1.6 vibrating on acceleration

Views : 706

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 5th, 2023, 09:57   #1
Mikaell

Cool V50 1.6 vibrating on acceleration

I have this V50 1.6 diesel from 2009.

The car is vibrating slightly on third, forth and fifth gear on acceleration or under load going up-hill. Otherwise runs nicely. I thought this might be from a full fuel filter and on replacing it I compared by blowing air through the new and old filter there was major congestion in the old filter.

After replacing the fuel filter I got the same issue as several with air trapped in the lines and no fuel being pumped up by the fuel pump. I read this model don't have a tank pump and therefore needs proper priming.
I therefore installed the hand-pump illustrated in the picture below to enable proper priming.

The car now is more difficult to start. I can see through the transparent fuel lines several cm of air pockets are accumulated in the airline and this causes the starting issues as resolved by some (10) squeezes of the hand-pump.

The vibrations on acceleration remains and air is getting in somehow.
Anyone recognizes these issues and like to share possible solutions? Have thought on adding an extra one-way valve to the fuel line to prevent fuel to pore back into the tank, but like to see a drawing of the V50 1.6 2009 fuel system, if anyone have a illustration to share, before starting to modify it.

I have tested full turns and notes no issues with the drive axle joints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0777.jpg (277.4 KB, 55 views)
Mikaell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 10:02   #2
Mikaell

Smile In addition ...

I should add the car started very nicely and promptly before the fuel filter replacement. I believe it due to its congestion prevented the fuel to pore back to the tank while the new filter does not in the same way.
The car has 28.500 km but are in my opinion in better than expected condition. The engine have some dirt around the injections that could indicate leakage there, but what engine does not get dirty in 14 years?
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 17:53   #3
MDS40

The vibration will probably be due to a worn cv joint on one of the driveshafts.
Sorry cant help with the fuel/air problem.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2023, 22:15   #4
Mikaell

Default Thanks

Thanks
I will check the CV joints this weekend. Have tesring drivning with full mest and right turns without the clasic noise or chopping from damaged CV joints.
Mikael
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 07:57   #5
bigmanke6

Hi Mikaell.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but could you please update us on this? Have you managed to solve the problem? How?
I have very similar problem and couldn't figure out what could be the problem. All the 4 injectors are replaced recently with brand new ones (they are programmed to ECM and the previous learning values are reset), both driveshafts are replaced with brand new ones. Under full load or simply going uphill the car shakes/vibrates.
bigmanke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 21:38   #6
ArkV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmanke6 View Post
Hi Mikaell.
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but could you please update us on this? Have you managed to solve the problem? How?
I have very similar problem and couldn't figure out what could be the problem. All the 4 injectors are replaced recently with brand new ones (they are programmed to ECM and the previous learning values are reset), both driveshafts are replaced with brand new ones. Under full load or simply going uphill the car shakes/vibrates.
Did you replace fuel filter? If not, how old is it? I had a similar issue, probably more serious, it was even going into limp mode under full load or long uphills. Anyway, the issue was bad fuel filter (30k km and 2 years old), which didn't let full fuel flow under load.
ArkV50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel filter, v50 1.6d