Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940. 2.4 TD. gearbox oil drainage plug.

Views : 1134

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 12:33   #1
Padrig

Default 940. 2.4 TD. gearbox oil drainage plug.

'93. 940SE TD. TIC.estate. Hi all !! Could anyone tell me where the gearbox drainage plug is located. I wish to change my gearbox oil. While I'm here !! does anyone know if the fuel tank locking cap is the same on diesels as it is on petrol versions of the 940's.
Many thanks,
Padrig.
Padrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 23:55   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: 940. 2.4 TD. gearbox oil drainage plug.

Fuel cap should be black for diesel, red for four star and green for unleaded. Four star (red) cap may fit the diesel, but green cap won,t.

Gearbox drain plug is left hand side at bottom just behind bellhousing and level/filler plug is about half way above it in middle of first sloping casting fin. It takes 1,75 Litres of Volvo fully synthetic ATF. Fill level is to the bottom of the level/filler hole. A need for regular topping up is indicative of a leak and should be rectified asap. The normal recommended change interval is 100,000 miles (by us) but Volvo reckon that it is there for life.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:34   #3
Padrig

Hi Peter, The fuel cap I have on at the moment has a greenish/blue plastic cover on it. The plastic cover is loose and comes off. the thread part of the cap fits but doesn't lock. I think its the wrong one. Its been on my volvo since I bought it. I will need to get a black one. Re the gear box oil, The local guy who does the servicing etc for my car, is renewing my rear brakes tomorrow and I thought that while he is doing that, he might as well change the gearbox oil.( I don't know if it as ever been changed.)but going on what you said, maybe I should leave well alone. My car as done 95,000 and there's no gearbox oil leak. What do you think? Remember the electrical fault I was having when the dashboard lights would only come on intermittently? and you said you were having a similer problem on one of your cars. Well I took it to the auto electrician in Nelson. He discovered that I had dry joints on the circuit board behind the clock on the dash. He resoldered them and cured the problem. The cost was £37.50. Diolch yn fawr am dy wybodaeth. Love to June,
Padrig.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 00:47   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Certainly sounds plausible Padrig. I will get the panel out again and look for dry joints. I should guve the gearbox another 5,000 miles before changing the oil. Your fuel cap certainly sounds as if it is wrong. If you find one in a scrappy make sure that the key is with it. Could you ask your servicing guy if he can change my cambelt for me. I can cope with the pump belt as I have the locking pin for the pump and can reach all the attachment bolts. The other belts (alternator and steering pump) I can also change but need a different one for tne alternator (shorter as I will soon fit my electric fan).

Love to Taffy, Valentine poem for her :- Violets are Blue,
Roses are Red,
If June finds out,
I'll soon be dead!

All the best, Peter.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 00:56   #5
George Holmer

Any gearbox, either manual or automatic, benefits from regular fluid changes. On automatics, I would say that they are vital.

1995 Volvo 945 LPT Auto
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 18:44   #6
Padrig

Peter !! I had a word with my servicing guy and he said no problem. I will send his phone number to your email addy so that you can both set a time up. Oh your poem !!!! You're no Dylan Thomas !!! stick to the Volvos !!:-) Thanks George for the info.
Padrig.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 00:17   #7
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

The M90 box uses fully synthetic ATF which Volvo say does not need to be changed at all! Hence the 700/900/90 regioster recommendation to change every 100,000 miles. The same goes for the AW30-40 and AW30-43 gearboxes although they are automatic.

All the best, Peter.