Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Your opinion on this turbo

Views : 1356

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2014, 00:34   #1
cartoon502

Default Your opinion on this turbo

Hi, i bought my Volvo V40 1.9D 2001, 220000km last week, between 2500rpm and 3000rpm the car drop power and some noise was coming from somewhere from the engine compartment but when i accelerated gains power again and the noise disappears. But yesterday when i was pushing to 4000rpm a loud noise came and the engine just stopped and didnt power on no more. My first guess is the Turbo, i leave here a photo from one side of it, what do you think about it? I wish you could help me...

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/8575/ctnj7.jpg
cartoon502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:46   #2
Matt86
Premier Member

Grab the centre of that with some long nose pilers and see if there is a lot of play it in. There should only be a minimal amount of play.

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 01:54   #3
chomerly

Looks like that turbo has chewed on something and suffered for it as a result.

Eluding to what Matt has already said, if you can reach in pinch the end of the turbo with your fingers and then try to move the turbo from side to side and in and out.
It is normal for a touch of play but if its seems too excessive then you need to look at replacing the turbo.

How much is too much you ask?
Imagine if you were pushing and pulling on a bicycle pedal arm and watching for movement on the crank.
You would know when its excessive and the principal is the same here.
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:24   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon502 View Post
Hi, i bought my Volvo V40 1.9D 2001, 220000km last week, between 2500rpm and 3000rpm the car drop power and some noise was coming from somewhere from the engine compartment but when i accelerated gains power again and the noise disappears. But yesterday when i was pushing to 4000rpm a loud noise came and the engine just stopped and didnt power on no more. My first guess is the Turbo, i leave here a photo from one side of it, what do you think about it? I wish you could help me...

http://imageshack.com/a/img842/8575/ctnj7.jpg
Alas that turbo is kaput, the seller must have know about it and unless you got it almost for free, I would try to get your money back ASAP. It's possible the turbo swallowed part of the air filter, but many turbo bearings fail from poor oil service routines, like non Volvo oil filters, too long a change interval (10K km max) and supermarket oil. If the bearing wears out, the vane leans over and hits the housing.
A good 220K km phase 1 diesel with a high mileage is worth about 1 to 2K Euros, BUT with a blown turbo it is near scrap value to 1K Euros for a gem.

If you decide it's a keeper, then see if Gatos the Cat or another reputable member has a good used genuine Volvo one for sale. You will still need a fitting kit, Shell Helix Ultra 5/40 Acea A3/B4, (6 liters with spare top up oil) and a new Volvo oil, fuel and air filter. See the special deal info from Rufe the FRF Swansea Volvo dealer on Facebook (Phone job) and quote the discount code that I forgot, or try Skandix:
http://www.skandix.de
Also if you want a diesel to last a long time, try not to drive it like a sports car when accelerating. 3K is all you need as a max, 4K RPM is max continuous.

Do you know how long the last oil change interval was and what was used ?? If it's less than perfect I would also use half a can (The cans are 500ml) of Liqui Moly Idle flush, BUT don't use it if the engine has any oil leaks.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; May 27th, 2014 at 03:59.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:38   #5
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Opps, double post finger trouble!
BUT welcome to a new member from Portugal, one of the few places Napoleon failed to invade, thanks to some Royal Navy artillery along the Torres lines and lot of local and even Spanish support. The Duke of Wellington helped a lot when he figured out Boney and his generals had not got enough hay for their horses in winter.

Last edited by skyship007; May 27th, 2014 at 03:49.
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:50   #6
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

Broken, very broken, that turbo is deceased, it is an ex turbo.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 04:18   #7
skyship007
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlo 1 View Post
Broken, very broken, that turbo is deceased, it is an ex turbo.
No mate, it's just resting perched on a perfect bearing. I didn't nail it to that Norweigen Blue V40 just to sell it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218&feature=kp

Old May 27th, 2014, 10:01   #8
cartoon502

Default Your opinion on this turbo

Ok, just send the turbo to the old owner and he is going to give me a new one. Problem one solved. I wish that nothing else is damaged because of this turbo problem. Because after the noise in the engine compartiment the car didnt work any more. Lets see after palacing the new turbo everything goes well.
Thanks for all your help.
cartoon502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 10:12   #9
elainesvolvo

Good luck
elainesvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2014, 13:26   #10
skyship007
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon502 View Post
Ok, just send the turbo to the old owner and he is going to give me a new one. Problem one solved. I wish that nothing else is damaged because of this turbo problem. Because after the noise in the engine compartiment the car didnt work any more. Lets see after palacing the new turbo everything goes well.
Thanks for all your help.
Umm, it might be worth getting a simple comp check before fitting the new turbo, but after removing the old one and draining the feed pipes and intercooler etc.

This Fleabay page makes sense:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Volvo-V40-...7111415/g.html

It would also be good to get a copy of the real Volvo guide (Vadis/Vida lark), to cross check the Garrett info. See if the previous owner will pay for a Garrett Recon job and fitting kits, IF the block was not damaged by debris in the oil circuit after attempts were made to strart it again.
Good luck.

Last edited by skyship007; May 27th, 2014 at 13:35.

Tags
turbo