Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 & S40 04 onwards Front Grill

Views : 3562

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2013, 20:28   #1
sdavidwh

Default V50 & S40 04 onwards Front Grill

I replaced this grill for a different one off an S40 so this is surplus to requirements. Unfortunately I have used the Volvo slant emblem on my new one. This grill is in excellent condition
£10 collected or plus P&P at cost
Collected from Bolton, Lancs BL2 3B post code

Regards Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130212_140437_resized.jpg (289.2 KB, 11 views)
sdavidwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 15:44   #2
ian7675

Have you fitted the emblem to a plain eggcrate grill? Curious to see how it turned out as I was thinking of doing the same. Any chance if a pic please?
ian7675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 12:26   #3
sdavidwh

sold to T5 Monkey
The Following User Says Thank You to sdavidwh For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 12:28   #4
sdavidwh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian7675 View Post
Have you fitted the emblem to a plain eggcrate grill? Curious to see how it turned out as I was thinking of doing the same. Any chance if a pic please?
hi Ian, yes I have several pics, I've changed my grill twice now. I'll post pics tonight when I get home

Dave
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 22:38   #5
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Looks like this (excuse the frost on the car which looks like a 'matt wrap').

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2327.JPG (214.6 KB, 50 views)

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2013, 23:06   #6
ian7675

Is it a simple case of removing the emblem and just sticking it on the plain one? How was it removing it from the original grille?
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:19   #7
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Is it a simple case of removing the emblem and just sticking it on the plain one? How was it removing it from the original grille?
We've slightly hijacked this thread but given grill now sold, don't think sdavidwh will mind to much. To answer your question;

Getting the emblem & slash (which is a single piece) off the old grill is fairly straight forward. It's held on with four(?) 'wedge' shaped clips which locate in recesses moulded into the grill. Turn the grill upside down, put a blunt edged screwdriver on top of each wedge and then give screwdriver a decisive tap with a hammer. In my case, this uncliped the emblem & slash without any damage to it or the grill.

Getting the emblem & slash onto the new grill isn't quite so easy unfortunately. Due to the curved underside of emblem & slash, you have to cut a channel into the new grill that it will sit in. This can be a bit of a faf. Once you've cut an appropriate channel, you can use an instant contact adhesive to stick the emblem & slash in place. HOWEVER, there isn't a lot of contact surfaces between grill and emblem/slash so you won't get a great bond and it can be very faffy. In hindsight, buying an OEM S40 grill and paintaing surround black may be a better idea (although the S40 grill has 1 more horizontal bar than the aftermarket egg crate grill and therefore, in my opinion, doesn't look quite as good).

Alternative (which I'm considering) would be to buy the mesh style grill from parts for volvo and stick slash & emblem to that (much more contact surface). Could finish it off with a 'Heico' emblem as others on here have done and effectively get yourself a Heico style grill for a 1/3 of the price.

Hope this is of some help.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 11:27   #8
sdavidwh

Not a problem, yes the grill is now sold.

I am going to reply myself when I get home from work tonight with pictures of my 3 different grills I ha e had on my V50

Dave
Old Feb 16th, 2013, 12:53   #9
ian7675

Thanks Chris and Dave, yes sorry for the hijack.
Old Feb 17th, 2013, 21:35   #10
sdavidwh

This is what my car looked like when I bought it with its original grill, the one I've just sold
[IMG][/IMG]

I never liked the original grill so I searched the web & found this plain mesh grill from a supplier in USA, my wife did not like it being plain so I bought a Heico badge from Heico direct in Germany, my wife still did not like it as she said people do not know what Heico means & wanted me to put the Volvo slanted badge on it...so I attached the badge with zip ties.
Here it is:
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I did eventually straighten the Volvo badge

I got bored of this grill & eventually fitted a standard S40 grill & added an R Design badge
This is how my car looks today
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Regards Dave