Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

460 Engine Size...

Views : 2374

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 01:04   #1
rob1sp

Default 460 Engine Size...

I have just bought a 460 ES or SE? Not sure which it is, the v5 document says that the engine size is 1783 cc, does that make mine the 1.7 or 1.8 model in that case?
rob1sp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 23:19   #2
ebdl
At ease!

The year will help to identify this. If it's a facelifted model (post 93ish) then I believe it probably has fuel injection and is a 1.8i, probably a B18U if I remember correctly. The Haynes manual has a picture of all the different engines in it which will help you identify yours. You can probably find this out from the chassis number plate as well.

(I can't imagine any motor manufacturer rounding down unnecessarily and doing themselves out of 0.1 of a litre!)
ebdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 15:59   #3
rob1sp

Had a look for the engine code and looked it up in the handbook, it's a 1.8, just wondering why the 1.7 has 20 or so more horsepower but is 100cc smaller?
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 16:07   #4
George Holmer

I would assume that the reason for this is that the 1.7 is pre exhaust emissions controls and the 1.8 has all that stuff. By adding some cc, they can increase the power a little bit but they do not want to exceed 1.8 as the Belgians and the Dutch (the car being made in the Netherlands and the Dutch and Belgians bying these cars by the busload) tax cars in bands based on cc, 1.7-1.8 being one band, thus the tax does not increase but the cc does. This is mearly a guess, mind you.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 16:00   #5
mollusk
VOC Member

Afternoon all,

Actually the 1800 is lower powered by virtue of single point fuel injection rather than multi point. (and the capacity is 1794cc not - 1783 but the V5c for my 440 also gives it as 1783!!).

The B18U single point system is really a 'modern carburettor' with pressurised, metered fuel delivery rather than engine vacuum controlled.

Briefly engine choice (depending on model) has been:-

B16F 1.6lt (1596cc) Multi point fuel injection 62kw (83hp)
B18KP/KD 1.7lt (1721cc) Solex cisac carburettor 64kw (85hp)
B18EP/F 1.7lt (1721cc) Multi point fuel injection 78kw (104hp)
B18FT 1.7lt (1721cc) M/P fuel injection - Turbo 90kw (120hp)
B18U 1.8lt (1794cc) Siemens single point injection 66kw (88hp)
B20F 2.0lt (1998cc) Multi point fuel injection 80kw (107hp)

There are a few other odd variants you might come across, and some sources may give slightly different outputs but these are the main ones.

As to whether it's an SE or ES - it could be either.
The SE trim was introducd with the '93' model (replacing the GL) but gave different trim levels depending on year and engine.
The ES 'pack' was introduced in late '95' ('96' year model) and was basically to 'trick up' base models. It included ABS, alloys, lowered suspension, electric front windows and. on 440s a boot spoiler. (can't actually remember if you could get it on 460s though)

Hope the above is of interest,

Mac.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 20:26   #6
rob1sp

Thanks for that post, very interesting, I think my car must be an ES, it definitely looks lower then standard and has side skirts and a rear spoiler, it actually corners quite well, which must be due to the suspension, just a pity it doesn't have much 'go', but at least it looks the part, after a week of ownership I'm still well chuffed with it, although the glue holding the spoiler on melted in the heat on Tuesday, and have tried 3 times to wash /polish her, its very hard to keep the olive green metallic looking clean!!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 23:00   #7
stu1974

You seem to know about these cars. I have a b18u and am desperately trying to locate my engine splashgaurd, so that I can locate my gearbox filler plug, so that I may remove said plug and top the bugger up! Please help me, my Haynes manual was written by a moron.

Stu
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:51   #8
mollusk
VOC Member

Default 440 g/box filler/level plug.

Hi Stu, I am assuming your car has a manual gearbox.

Very simply the engine splash guard is the large plastic panel that is fitted to the chassis covering the underside of the whole engine bay. It is held on by 4 coarse thread setscrews. If you raise the car on ramps it is very easy to see how it comes off. BUT to check the g/box oil you need the vehicle to be level ! The plug is a square head recess type.

The level/filler plug is on the 'front' face of the g/box just under the clutch cable where it connects to the release arm, the pics below should help.

Volvo will tell you that you may only use volvo special oil pt.no.3343922 but if Castrol are to be believed you can use 'Syntrax Universal' 75W/90 which is a part synthetic oil for combined gearbox/diff units. I use this with no problems.

Hope this helps - Mac.
mollusk is offline   Reply With Quote