Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fed up with useless Sensus navigation

Views : 4361

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 28th, 2018, 13:34   #1
Jack21
2017 XC90

Default Fed up with useless Sensus navigation

Hello all.

Well been driving my XC90 since March 2017 now and in general have been pretty happy with the vehicle. However, there have been two annoyances that really stick out IMHO, the not-as-advertised fuel economy/mileage and the just completely dreadful Sensus navigation system. Will only talk about the latter in this post.

Living here in Spain I have noticed how hard it is for the Nav system to find many of the cities, villages, or municipalities I type into the Search bar. I’ve also noticed on numerous occasions the Nav unable to find something unless typed in with perfect spelling and/or accented characters. Even when using the regional “Spain” map and not “Western Europe”, these issues persist. Worse of all is that over a dozen times now a village or municipality simply does not exist in the Nav’s database. I have NEVER had this problem using Google Maps.

I have found Volvo’s Sensus Nav so useless that I have resorted to Google Maps with my móvil in hand as my means of navigation. Don’t know about the rest of you gents (if you experience similar frustrations with the Nav), but I find this 100% unacceptable in a 60k euro luxury car. Thanks for listening to my rant.

p.s. If anyone here has an email address or link where I could post this grievance to Volvo Europe, I’m listening.
Jack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack21 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 13:37   #2
MaDProFF
Master Member

I find the best way to use the Sensus navi is to search for place using the VOC App map, and then send it to the car, it basically sends co-ordinates, and it finds exact places in the search on VOC
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaDProFF For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 13:42   #3
Jack21
2017 XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I find the best way to use the Sensus navi is to search for place using the VOC App map, and then send it to the car, it basically sends co-ordinates, and it finds exact places in the search on VOC
Sorry for my ignorance here, but what is that? VOC=Volvo On Call? Don’t use that service. What is this app?
Jack21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 14:03   #4
anotherv60
Master Member

I have found you have to really know where to type your location into the command window, i.e. city, village, postcode it needs to go in the correct location otherwise it won't pull up an address.

The Volvo maps in sensus are from wegohere.https://wego.here.com/?x=ep&map=40.4...70578,6,normal if you go to this site you can see the detail and place names you can also click and send a location direct to your car via the website, the mobile app or you can use the Volvo on call app. If it isn't in this website it isn't in your car.

I have attached a photo to show you what the site looks like. If you want to send a destination to your car you click on send to car and put in your volvo id email address and it will send the location straight to the satnav. Once the system has loaded on your Volvo you will get a blue popup at the top of the screen saying something like - new address - go here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-28 at 13.56.31.jpg (91.0 KB, 35 views)
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 14:42   #5
gaby
Premier Member

The OP doesn't seem to be aware of VOC, so perhaps his car is VOCless.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 14:51   #6
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
The OP doesn't seem to be aware of VOC, so perhaps his car is VOCless.
Indeed, but send to car will still work so long as the car is connected to the internet, either by bluetooth - i.e. Phone, wifi at home or via a wifi hotspot in the car.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 15:18   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack21 View Post
Hello all.

Well been driving my XC90 since March 2017 now and in general have been pretty happy with the vehicle. However, there have been two annoyances that really stick out IMHO, the not-as-advertised fuel economy/mileage and the just completely dreadful Sensus navigation system. Will only talk about the latter in this post.

Living here in Spain I have noticed how hard it is for the Nav system to find many of the cities, villages, or municipalities I type into the Search bar. I’ve also noticed on numerous occasions the Nav unable to find something unless typed in with perfect spelling and/or accented characters. Even when using the regional “Spain” map and not “Western Europe”, these issues persist. Worse of all is that over a dozen times now a village or municipality simply does not exist in the Nav’s database. I have NEVER had this problem using Google Maps.

I have found Volvo’s Sensus Nav so useless that I have resorted to Google Maps with my móvil in hand as my means of navigation. Don’t know about the rest of you gents (if you experience similar frustrations with the Nav), but I find this 100% unacceptable in a 60k euro luxury car. Thanks for listening to my rant.

p.s. If anyone here has an email address or link where I could post this grievance to Volvo Europe, I’m listening.
It could be better, mine is a lot better now than when I first bought my car (after updates) but it lacks a very useful feature, "lane indication" I was in a Ford Kuga the other day and approaching every junction, traffic lights or round-about etc a split screen popped up it showed very clearly which lane to get in. It was a great deal better than the Volvo Satnav but the voice instructions where terrible, Volvo's voice instructions are miles better and much clearer, some of the Ford instruction were incomprehensible but graphics were spot on.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 16:22   #8
Bernard F

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
It could be better, mine is a lot better now than when I first bought my car (after updates) but it lacks a very useful feature, "lane indication" I was in a Ford Kuga the other day and approaching every junction, traffic lights or round-about etc a split screen popped up it showed very clearly which lane to get in. It was a great deal better than the Volvo Satnav but the voice instructions where terrible, Volvo's voice instructions are miles better and much clearer, some of the Ford instruction were incomprehensible but graphics were spot on.
Lane indication shows on the driver screen if you have this set to always show SatNav. It’s in full 3D detail far better than any split screen I have ever seen.
Cannot vouch for Spain but in France and the UK I find it excellent. As previously said you must enter in the correct sequence or send to car from various sources. This is easier and always accurate.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 16:29   #9
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
Indeed, but send to car will still work so long as the car is connected to the internet, either by bluetooth - i.e. Phone, wifi at home or via a wifi hotspot in the car.
Isn't a personal SIM card needed in order to set up a wifi hotspot in the car?
If that is so, this will not be possible if the car has no VOC.
Old Oct 28th, 2018, 17:30   #10
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
Lane indication shows on the driver screen if you have this set to always show SatNav. It’s in full 3D detail far better than any split screen I have ever seen.
Cannot vouch for Spain but in France and the UK I find it excellent. As previously said you must enter in the correct sequence or send to car from various sources. This is easier and always accurate.
I do and always have satnav in middle of the driver display and have never noticed lane indicators, but I have only had my car for two and a half years, it cant be as good as the Ford system which was so easy or I would have noticed it. The Ford system was much more colourful and very large green lane indication. I will have to have a play with my satnav settings to see if anything needs changing.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sensus navigation