Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V40 1.8L clicking/clacking noise when turning

Views : 773

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2018, 09:58   #1
Adrianblik

Default 2003 V40 1.8L clicking/clacking noise when turning

I have a clicking/clacking noise when turning to the left whilst driving.
I've already replaced my left side driveshaft (Driverside for me). Do i have to replaced the right hand side one aswell? Even though i can feel the clacking down by the pedals?
Adrianblik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2018, 22:46   #2
mathewst

Most likely it is the ball joint problem
mathewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2018, 16:07   #3
Adrianblik

We checked the ball joints earlier today and they seemed fine?
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 18:15   #4
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Usually the CV joints that fail are the ones that have leaked grease or the boot has come off or split.

It sounds very much like you still have a failed CV joint and most likely an outer one. Characteristically if you drive in circles on full lock the joint with complain.

If that doesn't match whats happening the maybe it is something else.
Old Nov 10th, 2018, 19:37   #5
canis
Non Fragile

If you're out of ideas, here's an outlandish one:

It is possible that tracking can cause these symptoms. What happens is, people adjust the tracking and don't bother (or maybe don't realise the need?) to centre the steering rack, and straighten the steering wheel instead. After several of these it's possible it'll be attempting to turn one direction or the other too far, at too sharp an angle. CV joints do have a limit.

Just an idea.

I think it's worth consideration in this case because if you've changed one of the CV joints already, there's almost certainly going to be adjustment to the tracking required afterwards. So you might as well ensure both sides are equidistant and put it to rest.

Of course, doing this at home isn't easy. And how would you know if the garage you employ to "do the tracking" isn't one of those like I described above? The car has to be flat, has to have all it's weight on it's wheels, and high enough to wriggle under it. Not an easy list to satisfy on the drive, I'll admit.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2018, 23:38   #6
Adrianblik

About that, when i tried to order a CV joint for my lefthand side driveshaft they told me i couldnt just buy the joint, but had to replace the axle. Is this correct?
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 10:31   #7
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Car parts for less sell CV joints for engine code B4184SJ although there are two choices for the manual transmission.

They are aftermarket parts so maybe low quality.
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 11:16   #8
Adrianblik

When we tried to replace the cv joint on the left side we couldnt remove the old one from the shaft - My mechanic friend ended up cutting it off to see if we could fit the new one on, but it didnt fit at all
Old Nov 14th, 2018, 21:06   #9
Adrianblik

And, how certain is it that it is the right hand side CVjoint? Ive replaced the left driveshaft but kind of feel the clacking in my legs down by the pedals (left hand side driven) when turning left

Tags
v40