Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bumper irons

Views : 1302

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 16:26   #1
Alan Beckett

Default Bumper irons

I'm having trouble mounting the SS bumpers bought earlier this year. Nothing wrong with the bumpers, but I suspect that the front irons I have are not the correct ones for my car. - the depth of the iron is wrong compared with the mark in the underseal where the original one once was and the rear of the iron is at too steep and angle for the car body

Mine is a '69 model year (B20b twin carb) - the irons I have (see attached pic) may be from an earlier car.

Does anyone know whether the bumper iron pattern was changed during the production run? If such changes were made does anyone have a set of front irons that would go with my car?

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1800-bumper-iron.jpg (81.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Alan Beckett; Oct 8th, 2008 at 16:29.
Alan Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 16:43   #2
222s
Amazoniste

The bumpers seem to be a female dog to fit and line up properly at the best of times Might be that yours are actually the correct type, but have had a slight knock that has misaligned them, hence the angle / underseal mark discrepancies. Due to the angle at which they are mounted onto the body, they do tend to move downwards as well when pushed back.

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 22:52   #3
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Cow horn bumper irons are different from the later straight bumpers so that would make the change about 65. It took me a while to find a set to fit my 67 but they do come up occasionally on eBay.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 23:53   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think the back section, i.e. the part that's bolted to the body, might be completely straight on the other type. That maybe the type for your car.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 21:09   #5
tdz840
VOC Member

The irons are correct for your year. The reason they aree not fitting correctly is misalignment/previous bumps or that they are upside down.
It tok me some time to get mine to fit correctly with all the gaps correct for both side. However once done is a one off task and they shouldnt need further adjusting.
For infor it took me about three days and I alo ended up elongating the holes in the irons and bumpers
HTH
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2008, 21:50   #6
Alan Beckett

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your thoughts / comments.

I will get the car up on stands soon and get these irons to fit, although it may require some application of files, drills and / or grinders.

Alan
Alan Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote