Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 stalls

Views : 2273

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2019, 19:37   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiiamo View Post
Afternoon,
Took it back to the garage today and they did diag on it and now found the following:

ECM-44A0 EGR position sensor - Signal too low
ECM-44B0 EGR position sensor - Faulty signal

ECM-6710 EGR control - Flow too low
ECM-6720 EGR control - Flow too high

The also said this is possibly caused by the swirl flap rod being missing. To replace the swirl flap mechanisim over £370 + VAT
The first two codes regarding the EGR Position sensor mean one of two things :
Either the position sensor itself is faulty , not too expensive and easy to change , it is the black cover of the egr valve towards the radiator side of the engine .
Or The EGR motor has siezed , you can tell my taking the position sensor off and pushing the operating rod by hand , it should press in and you hear the motor turn and it should spring back out by itself .

swirl flaps themselves need changing together with a new operating rod , a set of injector clamps , top cover rubber joint and a set of 6 injector pipes ,
£ 370 is too little to pay , it is about double than in a dealer .
Old May 30th, 2019, 23:30   #12
Asiiamo

Thanks Guys for the advice, we cleaned out the pipes either side of the EGR, they were coked with carbon. Also blew carbon cleaner through the EGR and it was gleaming when finished.
On the weekend will definitely look at the EGR position senor and do what you prescribed. Bought the swirl arm yesterday and will put that on and see if that makes a difference before spending the money I don't really have at the moment.

Cheers
Asiiamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 06:31   #13
SwissXC90
Premier Member

A clean EGR will help a huge amount
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 22:23   #14
Asiiamo

Evening Guys,
Well today we fited the swirl link arm and it seemed to have made a difference to how the engine sounded and performed. The dreaded 'Engine Service ....' message disappeared. However a couple hours later whilst just leaving the car idling the message came back and it would bearly go over 1500 revs and just moving on drive was a real stuggle.
So popped the bonnet and decided to check relays and found that there was one that was really hot...'Engine System Relay'... could this be the issue all along? Does anyone know if this should get hot and where could I get a replacement?

Regards
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 22:51   #15
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I'm guessing it shouldn't get hot and your local Volvo dealer will have a replacement.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 18:17   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Really hot means burnt contacts providing more contact resistance than normal. Replace the relay ASAP.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 00:21   #17
Asiiamo

Thanks Guys,
Will be contacting Volvo Part Department tomorrow in Derby. Hopefully they have it and when I replace it that all our woes will be alleviated. Will keep you updated.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 23:18   #18
Asiiamo

Evening all, well collected the relay today (£10.58) was shocked as expected a rediculous price from Volvo. Anyway replaced it this evening as went out for around 30mins which was on town roads and dual carridgeways and the xc90 was fine.
Got home and checked the relay and it was mildly warm compared to hot on the weekend after 5 mins running standstill. Could this have been the culpit all along. The relays is the main relay at 70ah and believe is active constantly.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 06:37   #19
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Possibly. Time will tell.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 08:33   #20
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiiamo View Post
Evening all, well collected the relay today (£10.58) was shocked as expected a rediculous price from Volvo. Anyway replaced it this evening as went out for around 30mins which was on town roads and dual carridgeways and the xc90 was fine.
Got home and checked the relay and it was mildly warm compared to hot on the weekend after 5 mins running standstill. Could this have been the culpit all along. The relays is the main relay at 70ah and believe is active constantly.
volvo prices are on par with just about everyone else , their batteries and coolant for example from memory are a remarkable bargain as are some other parts , Citroen and Ford are Higher generally ! I guess we are behind the times ...