Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How much fuel left when Reserve light comes on?

Views : 27378

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What do you do when the fuel reserve light comes on?
I never see the reserve light come one. I always fill up before this happens. 61 34.46%
Head straight to the nearest fuel station. 17 9.60%
Trust the trip computer about the remaining range, but make sure I don't push my luck. 75 42.37%
Wait until I see "--- miles remaining". I have still never run out of fuel. 24 13.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 14th, 2017, 13:26   #61
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr69 View Post
I did my first proper tank refill yesterday on my D4 FWD Manual.

I am used to computers that fib as to how much fuel is left (my Toyota would say I had a range of 20 miles when I could put on 55 litres in a 60 litre tank).

Anyways, being dumb, and making a 70 mile motorway journey, I ignored the Reserve light (which came on at around 50 miles left) and went off the trip computer telling me the range left.

When it got to 20 miles left I decided to leave the motorway and get to a fuel station.

On the slip road (uphill) the range went from 20 miles left to "---" and stayed like that for 2 miles to the petrol station.

I was expecting to get about 65 litres into the fuel tank.

I actually managed to put in 73.08 litres - definitely NOT something that I am proud of
Bear in mind the tank is officially 70 litres, plus the plumbing from the filler cap.

Incidently, I managed 777 miles on the tank and averaged 48.33mpg with a mix of
- about 500 miles on the motorway, locked in cruise control at 56mph - an indicated 58 mph on the computer - hey, they always overestimate, but GPS never lies
- about 200 miles on decent windy A-roads, speeding.
- the rest around town

So, from here on I will search for a fuel station when the reserve light comes on.

Has anyone ever run out of fuel, or run the fuel levels so low they got more than 73 litres in?
Your Fuel Gauge is the only device which tells you how much FUEL is left in the tank , It is a precision moving coil Instrument and very accurate especially near the empty end ...
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 14:21   #62
fleming164

I spent quite a few years driving a car with a seemingly non-linear fuel gauge so have always compared how much fuel I can get in when I *think* it is almost empty to the quoted size of the tank.

Having said this, my 2.0D S40 can be a tad unpredictable. I first ran it to --- and drove approx. 10 stop start miles before a fill up and only managed to squeeze 46 litres in a 52 litre tank!

Last month we were travelling in France and armed with this knowledge and wanting to find a specific brand of fuel we skipped a couple of service stations and pulled into a garage after driving with --- for about a mile or so and I managed to fit 50 litres in!

I generally fill up with ~60 miles remaining as it seems to plummet disproportionately quickly after that!

Ex:
'06 S40 2.0D SE - 178,000mi / '00 Renault Clio 1.2 - 138,000mi
fleming164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2017, 20:19   #63
Fursty Ferret

I've had about 20 miles past the -- and flashing red light on my V60, including an engine stop and start. Unpleasant whining noise from the lifter pump and main fuel pump though.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2017, 11:46   #64
Grimble
Grimble

Have regularly filled up over 75 litres (to the brim).
I find that I can get up to 6.5 litres more in to the tank from the fist click of the fuel lever.

As most of my journeys are similar, I rely on the trip counter quite a bit as well as the gauge. Can always get over 700 miles on a brimmed tank.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 18:11   #65
Electronix12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Your Fuel Gauge is the only device which tells you how much FUEL is left in the tank , It is a precision moving coil Instrument and very accurate especially near the empty end ...
Not sure I agree with you here. Gauge on mine below 10%ish is making assumptions IMO.

I’ve had it go to —- after 650 miles and almost 800 miles with the MPG on all the trips in the same range (I.e 45-47). Result being I fill up anywhere between 65 and 76 litres.

I’ve had it go from 60 miles remaining to nothing overnight on the level...

In cases where I’ve been doing motorway miles up until empty I get heading on for 800.
If I do motorway miles then start doing stop start stuff after reaching 10% it quickly drops to empty, yet I then only fill up ~70 litres...

Not ran out yet!

Last edited by Electronix12; Jul 25th, 2018 at 18:13.
Electronix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 18:59   #66
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronix12 View Post
Not sure I agree with you here. Gauge on mine below 10%ish is making assumptions IMO.

I’ve had it go to —- after 650 miles and almost 800 miles with the MPG on all the trips in the same range (I.e 45-47). Result being I fill up anywhere between 65 and 76 litres.

I’ve had it go from 60 miles remaining to nothing overnight on the level...

In cases where I’ve been doing motorway miles up until empty I get heading on for 800.
If I do motorway miles then start doing stop start stuff after reaching 10% it quickly drops to empty, yet I then only fill up ~70 litres...

Not ran out yet!
I'm going by the many different volvos I've driven under low fuel conditions , many times the level has been showing as empty on the gauge and sometimes slightly below ! I've never run out either … Even my 340 is very conservative , I think if you do run out in a volvo , either there is something wrong with the float or you have been foolish ... Remember the fuel gauge is the only thing to look at .
Old Jul 26th, 2018, 06:25   #67
Baxlin
Old Rocker

What’s a reserve light?😇

I never let mine get below a quarter full, having once been let down by an inaccurate fuel gauge.

My JZR doesn’t have a fuel gauge, nor a reserve facility, so I reset the trip each time I fill up, and judge by the miles covered.
Old Jul 27th, 2018, 11:51   #68
AndyJudge
Premier Member

I try not to let mine get to the point where the light comes on.
When it does I disregard the Miles to empty & try to refuel within the next 10 or so miles.

Is it really worth risking actually running out ? I did once many years ago during a baking hot summer on the Isle of Wight. The 6 mile round trip hike to get fuel & back to the car wasn't pleasant in the slightest.

By many years ago I'm saying 30 so before the age of widespread mobiles & in the days of more optimistic fuel gauges.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 15:15   #69
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr69 View Post
I did my first proper tank refill yesterday on my D4 FWD Manual.

I am used to computers that fib as to how much fuel is left (my Toyota would say I had a range of 20 miles when I could put on 55 litres in a 60 litre tank).

Anyways, being dumb, and making a 70 mile motorway journey, I ignored the Reserve light (which came on at around 50 miles left) and went off the trip computer telling me the range left.

When it got to 20 miles left I decided to leave the motorway and get to a fuel station.

On the slip road (uphill) the range went from 20 miles left to "---" and stayed like that for 2 miles to the petrol station.

I was expecting to get about 65 litres into the fuel tank.

I actually managed to put in 73.08 litres - definitely NOT something that I am proud of
Bear in mind the tank is officially 70 litres, plus the plumbing from the filler cap.

Incidently, I managed 777 miles on the tank and averaged 48.33mpg with a mix of
- about 500 miles on the motorway, locked in cruise control at 56mph - an indicated 58 mph on the computer - hey, they always overestimate, but GPS never lies
- about 200 miles on decent windy A-roads, speeding.
- the rest around town

So, from here on I will search for a fuel station when the reserve light comes on.

Has anyone ever run out of fuel, or run the fuel levels so low they got more than 73 litres in?
I would always trust the low fuel warning light, as it is going off actual fuel level, (usually about 2 gallon) the remaining miles to go will vary depending on how you drive, putting your foot down and it will estimate how may miles you will get driving like that, ease off and drive gently it recalculates and will show a higher miles to empty.
I have ended up with a larger miles to empty than when I set off, as before a trip I was driving in town getting about 25 - 28 mpg but on the longer trip at a steady 60 mph the miles to empty increases as the MPG goes up to around 44mpg.
Adversely after a long steady run the miles to empty can show maybe100 mile to empty as you pull off the motorway but drop dramatically once you join urban roads as your mpg reduces but if you had stayed on the motorway you would get 100 miles on remaining fuel.
It does not tell lies just calculates for conditions at the the time.

GPS mileage does not always give an accurate measurement of miles travelled as some measure from point A to point B in a straight line (miles over ground) so if you are on a road with lots of bends you will travel a greater distance, the indicated speed on some GPS works the same, timing how long it takes to cover miles over ground but it will under estimate the speed on a winding road as you travel further.
The car adometer and speedo will be more accurate.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Jul 28th, 2018 at 17:16.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 17:18   #70
cardiomike

the range left is purely a function of the on board computer mpg and tank estimate. the way a car is driven can determine the range left- ive had a full to the click tank and managed a remaining range from 770 to 1106 miles just by going down hill for a bit.
So.. fuel expands with heat-so depending on when you fill up-you can get more in the tank if its early on a cold morning with cold ground-if its a hot day like lately you might get less. id actually fill up if your a quarter empty if the issue is critical to your journeys.
cardiomike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reserve low fuel