Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Convertible hard top - anyone know how it secures in place?

Views : 454

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2018, 11:02   #1
tony209
Master Member

Default Convertible hard top - anyone know how it secures in place?

Just wondering how the hard top secures. Do they use the same catches as the convertible room and lock manually? I was thinking about having a go at making one from an old roof.
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 14:03   #2
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

An 'interesting' concept!

I don't suppose it would be impossible if everything were done very accurately and, in which case, the front and rear latching system could be sufficient?

However, the electronics of roof module might get very upset. And, no doubt, that and all the roof electronics would need disabling. And I bet it would still find an excuse for 'pinging' all the time.

And 'changing roofs' might be a real PITA.

But, the real question would be "Why?" Go out on a so-so day and, miles away from home, the rain starts and you want to put the roof up. Oh yeah? And the roof is at home in the garage. And, of course the opposite. Go out for the day and it turns out really nice, warm and sunny and you fancy going topless?

A simpler (and lot less aesthetic!) answer would be to find that rare breed of the next generation C70 convertible... not that I like them that much!

So, is it really worth starting a project like that? I strongly imagine "here be dragons!"

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 15:16   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

Totally mad idea, but it can be done and has been done. Given the cost new and assuming a modest profit margin, a very complex undertaking, reflected in the cost. Good luck, I like mad https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...esmann+hardtop
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 16:46   #4
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

For less than the cost of buying and fitting that hard top kit you could buy tax and insure a Mk2 C70 which will let you go from roof down to hard top at the touch of a button.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 18:46   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
Just wondering how the hard top secures. Do they use the same catches as the convertible room and lock manually? I was thinking about having a go at making one from an old roof.
There is nothing at all in common , it is completely automatic in it's opening and closing procedure ..
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 07:57   #6
tony209
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is nothing at all in common , it is completely automatic in it's opening and closing procedure ..
From that statement, it would appear that you know how the aftermarket hardtop locks in place - do tell
tony209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 10:13   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony209 View Post
From that statement, it would appear that you know how the aftermarket hardtop locks in place - do tell
alas no , I thought you were comparing the later C70 with folding hard roof ...
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 13:57   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Tony, I suspect the answer to your question is that no one knows. They would have been so rare when new that I would be surprised if anyone on here has ever seen one in the flesh.

However, it could be done.

With the roof down the electronics are all in the correct mode for the car to be driven, so, the hardtop would need to be secured at the windscreen first and then at the rear, holding the whole lot secure. The front could utilise the front catches and either a new 'over the top' hook made so that it pointed downwards and held the front edge secure, or, an 'underneath' bracket made to slip under the catch roller and stop the hardtop from lifting up.

At the rear the roof hooks under the tonneau cover are not being used with the roof down, so some 'over centre' catches could be fashioned to pop through the tonneau and secure the hard top. These catches would be manually operated from inside or made into a design feature and operated from the outside which ever suits.

All the seals from an old roof could be made to fit the new hardtop and would all fit in exactly the same way as they do on the soft top. The original rear screen could be used for the new hard top and either bonded or moulded into the top as it is being made. The heated function would need to be separately wired in and the roof switch on the dash would need to be disabled in some way to stop accidental operation whilst the hard top is in place. The ROPS system would be unaffected - the only thing perhaps this would need is thinner construction of the hard top above the hoops in case they need to 'pop through' to work. In a similar fashion to seat airbags.

I think the biggest obstacle would be forming the mould to cast the new hard top roof. Other than that it is a case of thinking things through and working very precisely to make sure everything works.

Not sure about construction and use legislation, but given the amount of seriously modified cars on the road could be overcome presumably.

Now, what colour would look best and how to finish the interior headlining.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 16:10   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Default roof

this is how it should be done in 1957 50 years before volvo got there

https://www.facebook.com/oldtimers2/...3478826834621/