Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first Volvo and she's a Little Bit Poorly

Views : 1238

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2018, 13:27   #1
marvintherobot

Default My first Volvo and she's a Little Bit Poorly

Hello Every body, (this is my first go at this.)

I have a purchased a volvo for the first time and i'm trying to sort out a number of issues with it.
The car was already converted to lpg by a company called Prestige LPG Ltd Birmingham and I have no idea what kind of system was fitted.

I have already purchase a Vida Dice and successfully installed the software so I have diagnostics.

The car will drive as it should and the next day it drives very poorly stutters no power flat as a f*rt then picks up when I manually flick to petrol it picks up but it's still not quite as it should (a bit lacking in power)

So my next thing is to start checking ignition.
What spark plugs would you recommend? I have read that single core copper plugs are suggested in other peoples request for volvo perfection (Denso K20PR-U to name one type)

Many thanks

These are the things I have done so far:
Cleaned Throttle body and replaced the gasket
Checked the DIM for any faults (none found)
Cleaned the Maf

Fault code list:
ECM-0040 I know about this one
ECM-120C ECM-1210 ECM-212C ECM-213C ECM-216C ECM-217C
ECM-310C ECM-324C ECM-325C ECM-326C TCM-0350 WTF!!! BCM-007

Car Details:
Volvo XC90 2005 2.9L Engine B6294T Automatic gearbox Converted to LPG
Approx 103,000 miles Spark plugs fitted Bosch FR7DPP+
marvintherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2018, 21:04   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You could always call Gale and ask what system was fitted or post up some photos here.

Plugs I tend to use NGK BKR7E or Denso will be fine. The Bosch number you have sounds like a fancy version (Platinum)

At least fiting a new set of plugs is cheap enough and easy to do so a good starting point
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 01:02   #3
marvintherobot

Thank you for the info,

I had a look at the plugs today and they are single point platinum set to almost 0.8mm so ive closed them to 0.6mm after a test drive it still drove like a bag of spanners. the fuel gauge just reads one red dot (always 1 red do even with a full tank)

I ran vida and cleared all the error codes. test drive and checked it with vida again and all i'm getting is the CCM fault.

After searching the internet today I found a interesting article explaining the fault diagnostic of a 2.9L XC90 that had long term trim fault codes and it went into details about the 'Y' shaped charge pipe having a leak problem especially at the single end that connects to the rubber pipe.

I'm going to try a leak test tomorrow (and no I don't mean leak and potato soup!!!)

I'll take some pictures of the LPG system as well

Which one of the spark plugs do you prefer classicswede?
marvintherobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 10:04   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have used NGK for a very long time and they do have a very helpful technical department.

I have also tried Denso more recently and been happy with them too
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 12:53   #5
cyclogenesis

Don't forget you have two ECUs, one for unleaded and one for gas. You may have reset the codes on one but not the other. The way to ensure this is to disconnect the battery overnight and then start from scratch.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:02   #6
Recognized

Locate evaporator thing under the bonnet, check that vacuum line is ok. Then change all LPG filters. If still have some issues and want to sort them out yourself you should consider to buy a diagnostic cable for your lpg system. It could be cheap, it could be not. Depending on age and mileage distributor could need rebuilding(fairly simple). Injectors could need rebuilding or change.
Usually injectors connected to lpg Ecu and then from ecu to petrol injectors. Check those connections.
And so on.
Start with pictures of the system, then phone those guys in Birmingham to find out if there was any extras.