Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Single or twin axle caravan? XC90

Views : 2357

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 22:32   #11
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
I would think the 2 bunk bed one would suit you as they grow they would have there own bed each and also the seating area opposite is handy as a play area when weather is bad. If you havn't towed before have you got the b+e licence to tow over 3500kgs ( for car and Caravan gross weight) because the twin axle do weigh more and eat into your allowance.
B+E doesnot allow over 3500kg, grandfather rights or class 2/1 does that. If test passed after 1997 you do not have grandfather rights.
B+E is max train mass 3500kg and trailer cannot exceed weight of tow vehicle.

Xc90 comes in at near 2000kg any caravan over 1500kg MTPM and B+E will not cover it.

At 70 you loose grandfather rights unless you have a class 2 hgv medical. With an xc70 and landrover discovery towing a 1635kg van I'm seriously thinking of taking a class 2 test. If I have to have the medical I may as well have the licence and then there's no question of is it too heavy for my licence.

As for single or twin axil, I ve looked at twin axil but have always baught single. So much easier to manover in a storage yard especially with movers, caravan will pivot around axis if nessesary. Never had a problem towing a single axil, agreed they are slightly less stable but even overtaking a car transporter at motorway speed never caused a moment if set up properly.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 22:52   #12
Friendly

Thanks for the replies.

I did the 'trailer test' so have the BE on my licence.

I think this allows me to tow over the 3500kg combined limit.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Friendly For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 23:02   #13
Friendly

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 02:37   #14
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
B+E doesnot allow over 3500kg, grandfather rights or class 2/1 does that. If test passed after 1997 you do not have grandfather rights.
B+E is max train mass 3500kg and trailer cannot exceed weight of tow vehicle.

Xc90 comes in at near 2000kg any caravan over 1500kg MTPM and B+E will not cover it.

At 70 you loose grandfather rights unless you have a class 2 hgv medical. With an xc70 and landrover discovery towing a 1635kg van I'm seriously thinking of taking a class 2 test. If I have to have the medical I may as well have the licence and then there's no question of is it too heavy for my licence.

As for single or twin axil, I ve looked at twin axil but have always baught single. So much easier to manover in a storage yard especially with movers, caravan will pivot around axis if nessesary. Never had a problem towing a single axil, agreed they are slightly less stable but even overtaking a car transporter at motorway speed never caused a moment if set up properly.

Paul.
I read the Gov rules relating to B+E and it says you can drive a vehicle with a 'Mam' up to 3500kgs and tow a trailer. The weight of the trailer after 2013 pass is limited to a 'mam' of 3500kgs. This seems to me to mean that the vehicle and the trailer are 2 separate things and both can weigh up to 3500kgs not as you suggest both together only 'mam' of 3500kgs. I stand to be corrected but if you stick to your way of both together being limited to 3500kgs then there would be no point in taking the B+E licence as a B licence gives you that right as well . Where does it say you lose your grandfather rights (BE on your licence)when you reach 70yrs old?.

Last edited by pagan8c; Aug 23rd, 2018 at 03:03.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 08:03   #15
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan8c View Post
I read the Gov rules relating to B+E and it says you can drive a vehicle with a 'Mam' up to 3500kgs and tow a trailer. The weight of the trailer after 2013 pass is limited to a 'mam' of 3500kgs. This seems to me to mean that the vehicle and the trailer are 2 separate things and both can weigh up to 3500kgs not as you suggest both together only 'mam' of 3500kgs. I stand to be corrected but if you stick to your way of both together being limited to 3500kgs then there would be no point in taking the B+E licence as a B licence gives you that right as well . Where does it say you lose your grandfather rights (BE on your licence)when you reach 70yrs old?.
I bow to your better knowlage, my reading was the other way but stand corrected thanks except the trailer cannot weigh more than the tow car in those limits.

The 70 rule I found out about from a lad with a winnebago that came in at near 7 tonnes, at 70 both he and his wife had to have medicals to retain their grandfather rights, at £150 a time he was intending to sell the bago and buy something sub 3500 kg.
It's not something I've seen but it seems from those I've spoken too your licence comes back with those entitlements removed and to regain them you have to undergo the medical each year.

With DVLA I always photocopy anything I'm sending them as they are adept at cutting classes, know a few that lost their motorbike entitlement upon renewal and had a fight to get it back.
Remember you must renew your licence at 70 as it expires.

Paul.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 10:45   #16
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I bow to your better knowlage, my reading was the other way but stand corrected thanks except the trailer cannot weigh more than the tow car in those limits.

The 70 rule I found out about from a lad with a winnebago that came in at near 7 tonnes, at 70 both he and his wife had to have medicals to retain their grandfather rights, at £150 a time he was intending to sell the bago and buy something sub 3500 kg.
It's not something I've seen but it seems from those I've spoken too your licence comes back with those entitlements removed and to regain them you have to undergo the medical each year.

With DVLA I always photocopy anything I'm sending them as they are adept at cutting classes, know a few that lost their motorbike entitlement upon renewal and had a fight to get it back.
Remember you must renew your licence at 70 as it expires.

Paul.
Yes the B+E allows you to drive a vehicle up to 3 500 kgs after 70 but now you need the C1 etc to drive a vehicle over this weight and to get that you need to apply to keep it on your licence and pass a medical as you say. The B +E will remain on your licence when you renew after 3 years.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 15:29   #17
Billggski

The medical at 70 is £55 with an HGV doctor who does the eye test as well. About 20 minutes and no ecg or treadmill test.
This will retain your "grandfathers' rights" to a C1 licence for three years, you can retain your BE licence just by sending the form back, unless you have admitted to a serious condition, in which case the DVLA will insist on a full medical.
Billggski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billggski For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 20:26   #18
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billggski View Post
The medical at 70 is £55 with an HGV doctor who does the eye test as well. About 20 minutes and no ecg or treadmill test.
This will retain your "grandfathers' rights" to a C1 licence for three years, you can retain your BE licence just by sending the form back, unless you have admitted to a serious condition, in which case the DVLA will insist on a full medical.
Many thanks. Can you point me where to look for this info please. Tried .Gov sites but eyes glaze over by page 3. Just trying to get to grips with tachograph law and breaks gave me a headache. Drive a 5 tonne vehicle under an exemption clause, company transport manager decided it was not nessesary for me to attend the course run for tachograph user's as my vehicle was exempt and he could tell me what went on, except he could not and untangling his biased interpretation was a nightmare. The working radius is another one he could not confirm if it was as crow flies or road miles traveled, transport of goods for others use and card needed, except not in his world, drop it off as you pass.

Thanks in advance
Paul.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 15:48   #19
CPH

Sorry to jump in on this topic, but in reply to the OPs question regarding single vs twin axle ‘vans, there are a few other things you might want to consider.

While a twin axle will be inherently more stable, a correctly loaded single axle should not be unstable and with a properly maintained stabiliser hitch you should have no stability issues with a correctly loaded van and sensible driving.

A twin axle van will likely also be significantly heavier, towing with the XC90 won’t give you any issues, in all likeliness, but if you don’t need a heavy van it’s a lot easier to make good progress with a lighter van - and you’ll get better fuel economy too

It’s also worth considering that a twin axle van will be more difficult to level correctly on site. I’ve just come off a site that was very hilly, it was hard enough to get the van laterally levelled for a single axle, I would have hated to have to level a twin axle on the same site.

That also touches on the subject of manoeuvring the van. Do you intend on having a motor mover fitted or do you hope to be able toise manpower? Single axles are far easier to manoeuvre and can rotate on their axis - something which is much harder on a twin axle van, although I have seen it done with enough brute force and ignorance.

Servicing costs will be higher on a twin axle van, too. Twice the brakes, tyres and associated bits and pieces. If you’re having a mover fitted then obviously a device that moves all four wheels will be significantly more expensive than a mover for a single axle van.

It probably seems like I hate twin axle vans but if I could have afforded an Avondale 630 when I replaced my van I would have had one without a second thought. Nicely built van with a great layout and all in at 1450kg fully loaded!

I agree they can be more spacious and offer some layouts that can’t be achieved with a single axle, though.

Some continental vans offer far better layouts than British vans, and they are better built to boot. That’s the route I went and I found a German van with fixed twin bunks at the rear and a fixed double at the front. Checkout Fendt, Knaus, TEC, LMC and other vans, they do make some massive T/As but they do some sensible smaller vans with great layouts too.

Hope this helps some.
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 22:06   #20
Friendly

Thanks for the reply.

I will be trying to get a motor mover, mainly to make getting it on and off my drive easier.

As it will be my first caravan I will probably get something that is a few years old to see how we get on with it.