Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

T5 / D5 real life acceleration test

Views : 3639

Replies : 55

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 17:01   #21
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Nope I havent checked any boost pressure or anything on my car. It has a genric remap with a catback 2.5" Jetex exhaust, k&n drop in air filter into the oem airbox, 3" induction pipe, and a bell intercooler. all other things are handling mods.
Wow, the only thing from your list that I have is KN filter :P
IC+exhaust alone will give you few more horses (not sure what role induction pipe play :P) then increased stock power and map... nice, nice!
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 18:15   #22
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
IC+exhaust alone will give you few more horses (not sure what role induction pipe play :P) then increased stock power and map... nice, nice!
Don't forget your kerbweight and transmission losses due to AWD will have an affect.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 23:39   #23
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
That autobox must weigh a ton as on paper your car and domharts shouldn't be too different.

He has a CAT back and IC upgrade but to be honest, they don't generate more performance, they're for keeping the engine within safe temperature specs to handle the extra performance and heat that comes with that...

CAT back is mostly for sound and reducing back pressure slightly, if you get a full system then you'll see improvements in flow, imagine a CAT back setup as a small straw but half way down the straw you have a wider straw....It makes little to no difference to the overall flow of water coming out.

The IC is to keep ambient air temps down before which helps keep the turbo cooler, this helps it hold onto boost a bit longer at the top end but overall, again, it's a safety measure more than anything else.

I'll try get a run out in my T5 over the weekend

EDIT: This was my T4 back in the day with just a remap - God I loved that car. It put a T5 to shame and was only at around 230bhp there. Less power but high pressure turbo and a very small curb weight, unlike my T5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dbSvCJ-sZk

Last edited by FunkyMelon; Oct 11th, 2018 at 23:55.
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:40   #24
Welton
Premier Member

Well, I've tried it for the good of the forum:

Standard S40 T5 in good fettle.

Manual Transmission

3rd Gear 30 to 85MPH

11.2 seconds

Tried it twice, once in 3rd gear only (ooh those revs) and then with a 3rd/4th gear change. Both results were around 11.2secs.

This website: http://www.1001moteurs.com/performan...40-T5-459.html suggests the car will accelerate by 4.86 mph/sec (in this speed range) so my 11.2 x 4.86 = 54mph (about right for 30 to 85).
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)

Last edited by Welton; Oct 12th, 2018 at 08:52.
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 11:39   #25
LizardOfBodom

Yobbo - true that, AWD is slightly more heavy but there is also some difference in saloon vs estate.
as per wiki:

V50
AWD:
1,560–1,590 kg

S40
FWD:
1,445–1,520 kg

not sure why there is 2 weights provided per car.

There are some looses on drivetrain I suppose but not sure if that matter for 30-85 acceleration, probably more for 0-60.
(I will gladly take it any time of a day, just today I was doing some experimenting with haldex disengaged and in FWD mode that car drives like a rabid hamster with dstc off, heh, never thought it makes SUCH a difference on daily basis, byt thats just by OT)

FunkyMelon - autobox? mine is Manual, same as Dom's, not sure if thats what you meant also bear in mind that his is S40 mine is V.
that T4 of yours - holy smokes, that thing goes!! (or did go), know everyone says it felt quicker in comparison to T5, that just proves the point.
I get what you say ref catback and IC, maybe I worded it incorrectly - even if it doesnt increase HP as per se, I think it does help to gain better results either by increased boost and flow etc. In general - its a performance upgrade I guess

Welton - many thanks for checking! Do you happen to remember what revs you got on 3rd ?
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 11:58   #26
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
FunkyMelon - autobox? mine is Manual, same as Dom's, not sure if thats what you meant also bear in mind that his is S40 mine is V.
that T4 of yours - holy smokes, that thing goes!! (or did go), know everyone says it felt quicker in comparison to T5, that just proves the point.
I get what you say ref catback and IC, maybe I worded it incorrectly - even if it doesnt increase HP as per se, I think it does help to gain better results either by increased boost and flow etc. In general - its a performance upgrade I guess
Yes sorry, I did know yours was a manual and meant AWD system not auto

Yes the T4 was a fantastic car, later went on to have full 3" exhaust system, intercooler and forged internals ready for big power when sadly it was written off by an incapable old lady (complete ****ing muppet) on a roundabout.

Miss that car everyday and would swap my T5 in a heart beat for another decent one.

T5 sounds better though, just need to slap some mods onto this one when I get the time!
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:39   #27
Yobbo
Dave

Managed to do 40-85 in 9 secs last night (slight uphill straight), could probably nip a bit more off if shifting before 4k rpm to take advantage of the boost surge when upshifting...
That's the thing with this D5 and big boosting diesels in general in that the power delivery is a lot less linear, rewarding when the boost comes in but timing gear changes generally before redline where the torque drops off is paramount in getting the most out of the engine.
I dare say driving my D5 requires a bit more attention than an 2.5 T5 or similar that I've driven (Focus RS MK2), you're obviosuly shifting more, and with each gear knowing where beginning of the power/boost curve is something that comes down to feel over time as opposed to the more immediate and linear power delivery of a petrol turbo.
Mind you, I still sometimes pull out of junctions giddying up, worrying that my boost won't kick in before someone sideswipes me!!

Welton - that T4 was an animal! Shame it got knacked by a biddy.
Also Dom, I reckon your car must be around 250-260, looking forward to your car's progress!
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 13:04   #28
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
Managed to do 40-85 in 9 secs last night (slight uphill straight), could probably nip a bit more off if shifting before 4k rpm to take advantage of the boost surge when upshifting......!
Nice, that 530Nm is something to behold, I guess. Never driven D5 myself, mapped or not, but have driven some powerful diesels and those do impress.
Still, I prefer petrol any time :P
I tried the 3->4 test again with quicker shifting, but no - defo cant beat 3rd gear pull only. Yet to try 2->3rd but I doubt....
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:52   #29
Yobbo
Dave

Quote:
...Still, I prefer petrol any time :P...
Except when you're at the petrol station (yet again) haha!
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 15:59   #30
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobbo View Post
Except when you're at the petrol station (yet again) haha!
Touche!
I dont think D5 is a dribble-drinker aswell, though? On heavy driving in mixed setting (highway+city) what are you getting with your mapped one?