Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vrrrooooooommm!.....BANG!!!!!!! (Bol**x!!!!)

Views : 1835

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2002, 20:08   #1
Adrian

Default Vrrrooooooommm!.....BANG!!!!!!! (Bol**x!!!!)

Sorry if I am starting to bore you all...

Last night I was larging it away from the traffic lights at a wopping rate of notts! the car is running VERY well (loving the Mobil 1 Fully Synth) }>

After the scrabbling of tyres and rorty exhaust note there is a loss of power :o (230bhp down to 23bhp by the Butt Dyno)which was preceded by the loudest bang I've EVER heard from under the bonnet :'(

Looked for smoke (blown turbo): None :7
looked for warning lights: None (Lambda light already on for leaky Gasket

I'm thinking I've holed a piston or blown the turbo off the engine :( but limping along I find it runs smooth under very low acceleration.

Is this "limp home mode?" I ask myself.

I wonder if anyone can guess what the chuff had happend to my previously lovely T5 that had just been shod with new oil and filters and front rubber??

Any guesses?

Loz :

850 T5 CD Auto (Twisted Fire Starter }> )
Old Mar 4th, 2002, 22:20   #2
deffead

Default RE: Vrrrooooooommm!.....BANG!!!!!!!

Well sounds like the sort of thing we all dread happening but as for a guess, nah won't try but i'm hoping it wasn't as expensive as it sounds

deffead
Old Mar 4th, 2002, 23:06   #3
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

It could be that as a result of excessive fuel getting into the exhaust unburnt, that you have destroyed the cat and half the exhaust effectiveness. Other than that it may all be due to a timing change brought on by say the cambelt jumping by a tooth or two. I would investigate fully and carefully so that whatever it is/was will readily show up. Mind you if it is the belt that has slipped I would invest in a new engine sharpish.

I hope it is nowhere near as expensive as you fear, Adrian.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2002, 01:07   #4
Adrian

Default RE: Vrrrooommm!.....BANG!!!! (Bol**x!!!!)

Ahhhh.. You chaps have reassured me that I did not over re-act.

It turns out it was the hose that exits the top of the intercooler at the back to feed the turbo nice cooler, denser air. the pipe from German swedish carp parts is £7.80. first dealer quoted £46.80 second quoted me £22.50. I taped up the burst hose and it's business as usual until its replaced tomorrow after the inlet gasket is replaced. Just think, it could have been sooooooo much worse.

I hope I am keeping you all amused by the way.

Loz

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 05:10   #5
OSoSlo

Wow! Good to read that it wasn't anything majorly damaging! My luck that loud 'boom' sound would have signaled that the engine imploded or some such. I only seem to have two forms of luck: No Luck, and Bad Luck. :)

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:55   #6
noiseboy
VOC Member

Glad to hear it's not tooo serious.

The last time I had a bang from under the bonnet, it was in a merc, which promptly stopped dead - in the middle lane of Reading ring road!

The AA guy arrived, opened the bonnet and summed it up with "Oh S$£t!". Closed the bonnet - took me to a dealer. £3,500 engine rebuild later I got it back. Funnily enough - dont drive a merc anymore. (Although I did keep the rocker cover with the timing chain sticking through it as a souvenir).

Good luck with the repairs and hope to catch you soon at one of the meets!

Phil :-)
www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:17   #7
Mav_UK

D'you have a picture of that Phil, be quite intersting to see....

Stu
Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:02   #8
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Adrian.

Remind me, is your car modified in anyway?

If it isn't then you might want to try to find out why that section of pipe ruptured. Is it rubbing against anything else? Is it near a high heat source?

If your car is modded, then perhaps turn it down a touch?

Too much boost can blow the pipes off intercoolers! Looks like yours had a weak spot that went before the clips holding it on did!!

Later dude and glad it isn't too bad.

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:25   #9
Adrian

Default Vrooom!.....BANG!!!!!!! (Bol**x!!!!) Mods??

just had a terrifying thought:

What if the nice man who had it before did some to mods to it to make it boost like a baddun?? How would I know, for example if the Actuator arm on the Wastgate had been turned in a touch?

Dear me, dear me... :+

Guess I will see what it's 0 - 60 times are when it's all sorted and if the boost needle reaches the other end of the white bar, like it never has yet. Will that indicate a "fiddle" under the hood?

Feels like its making loads of power early on and holding it but at higher speeds the boost is not so overpowering. I would rather it kicked you in the back at 50 - 70 or 90 - 120 ( on the track of course!) for real ego crushing overtakes. I mean...ahem.... to pass dangerous obstacles on the highway or race circuit!

Dude, If you know how I can tell if its modded, do share.

Phil, Will see about those BTCC tickets, I'm pretty sure I will be there. just need to make a call I guess. How much for Sunday? It's going to be very wierd being in the "Volvo" section .... :9

Later,

Loz

Ps. picking up the beasty soon!! Can't wait }>

850 T5 CD Auto with Snap crackle and POP }>
Old Mar 5th, 2002, 12:29   #10
Adrian

Default RE: Vroommm!.....BANG!!!!!!! (Bol**x!!!!)

Dude,

The top pipe of the intercooler apprently can swell considerably when under pressure, which is caused I think by the turbo giving it some big licks!. I heard they can swell right up but seldon brake, I think this is why the cars can be upgraded to Silicone hoses. more robust?

I would not say it is near any heat or rubbing. it is in a real safe spot. glad, cos it could have hit somthing when it popped. I am putting new pipe on this afternoon and doing 100mile run later. will keep you posted!

Ps, do new inlet manifold gaskets need to be run in??

Loz