Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help!! 1981 244dl fuel pump still buzzing after replacement!

Views : 940

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2013, 23:15   #1
FJFJFJ

Default Help!! 1981 244dl fuel pump still buzzing after replacement!

I need help here. I have a 1981 DL 244. Just changed out the INTANK fuel pump. Still buzzing noisy INLINE pump. I checked the pressure. I changed the fuel filter. I checked the fuses, changed the fuses. I just changed the INLINE pump last night with a good bosch. The INTANK pump also a Volvo OEM part that they sold me. STILL, STILL, I am hearing a loud buzzing noise coming from my NEWLY installed INLINE PUMP. I have listened to make sure the INTANK PUMP is running. It is. Has anyone had this problem before? If I replace the FUEL PRESSURE ACCUMULATOR will that solve the BUZZING NOISE coming from the INLINE PUMP? I have checked the FEED LINE going from the INTANK to the INLINE. All clear. I changed the INTANK PUMP rubber hose that you guys know sometimes corrodes. WHAT THE HECK DO I DO NEXT. There is HESITATION ALSO when I go over a speed bump, hesitation when I go from a stop sign. Slight but still there like when the buzzing first started last week. Thanks for any help from you GURU'S. FJFJFJ
FJFJFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 21:00   #2
DW42

You didn't mention changing the fuel pump relay. Does the buzzing stop if you put a jumper wire between fuses #5 and #7? This bypasses the relay. If the relay is at fault, I believe it's a green relay behind the passenger-side footwell. It would be useful to be able to rule out a dying fuel pump relay.
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 03:32   #3
JonC

I think the buzzing happens when the intank pump isn't supplying enough pressure to the main pump. That might explain the hesitation too. If its not the relay circuit I'd check the voltage across the intank pump next.

Last edited by JonC; Feb 19th, 2013 at 03:34.
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2013, 22:05   #4
crusty coupe

Default 240 fuel pump

Under car main pumps get noisey when pre pumps (in tank) fail and the tank fuel level is low. e.g. third to quarter of a tank left.
By topping the tank level up to half or more can cure the noise as gravity takes the strain from the main pump, some cars have run for years with failed pre pumps and the main pump has rumbled on !
If the pumps are both new then you may have feed problem with the pre pump, never aware of the fuel pump relay causing this issue, then tend to fail so causing a non start or fail to re-start when car is warm.
Not unheard of for a new part to be faulty too, but rare.

Jim
crusty coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2013, 07:59   #5
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Are you sure there aren't any pinholes in the steel pipe at the top of the in-tank assembly? It's notorious for rusting, and often collapses completely when you try to get the rubber pipe off.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 02:20   #6
JonC

The fuel pumps also grounded through that pipe and thru the tank to the chassis. Might be worth checking resistance between the pipe and a good ground.
I gotta say that does sound like a tenuous route but I'm pretty sure that's how it's grounded..
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote