Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S80 bi-fuel runs when hot

Views : 954

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2014, 21:55   #1
nick940t

Default S80 bi-fuel runs when hot

I have a 52 plate s80 bi-fuel. Here is the issue.

Starts up in the morning on petrol flips over to lpg after a few mins of driving.

Runs on lpg with no issues for 15-20 mins then cuts out.

I then put the car back onto petrol as it refuses to run on lpg.

Driver around for a further 10 mins or so sitting about at lights or traffic then turn the car off take the key out 10 secs restart the car pug it back onto lpg and it will run all day long.

I am thinking temp sender but where do I find it.

Any ideas greatly received.

Thanks
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 08:40   #2
reggit
Premier Member

It doesn't have a temp sender in the vaporiser if I remember correctly. I would suspect your issue is an intermittent shut off soleniod that is going open circuit as it heats up, then settles down once at a constant temperature.

Check it over for cracking on the plastic body. If you don't know it's mounted on the same bracket as the vap.

Just an educated guess from an oil-burner driver!
Old Feb 4th, 2014, 18:02   #3
nick940t

Hi,

I had thought of that and have already replaced both of them. If the vapo has no temp sender then the lpg must get the temp info from the main engine temp sender unit.???

The car 100% on lpg when it works.......

Help....
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 18:20   #4
Lpgc
LPG conversion pro

Could be solenoids but unlikely.

Enough water in the cooling system? There are a few different factory fit systems on Volvos. Some have the Koltec system similar to Vauxhalls and some Fords. Some have other systems such as Landirenzo. The Landirenzo models are the most integrated with the vehicle and might use the vehicle temp sender, but I believe they have a reducer temp sender. The Koltec systems all have reducer temp senders. The Landirenzo system can cause the most mischief, because it does not cut back to petrol if the mixture is lean, so there is the potential for engine damage. The Koltec system will cut back to petrol if the mixture is lean for more than several seconds.

When you say 'cuts out', is it as immediate as turning off the ignition or is there some poor running / spluttering first?

Simon

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Feb 13th, 2014 at 00:21. Reason: traders must register
Lpgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 17:43   #5
nick940t

Default Cold hot hotter

Hi thanks for your replays. I have been paying close attention to. Y car for the last week or so.

So start fine from overnight cold flips onto gas and then cuts out 10-15 mins later.

If driving at 30mph or so there is just now power when you put your foot down. Flip onto petrol everything is fine no issues.

Drive around town for 10-15 mins so the car is really upto temp, click the button and again no power. And so no lpg.

Pull car over turn off take key out 5 secs turn on flip onto lpg no probs will run all day with no issues. In town on motorway any ware you want. Stop get a coffe go shopping get in car away we go again back on lpg.

So I have changed the engine temp sender/señor. No change....

Really odd and I am looking for help. I believe there is no temp sender on the actual temp sender on the lpg side if things.

I really think it is temp related I just don't know how.....

Thanks for looking
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 22:57   #6
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Heavy ends.

You need to clean the internals of the solenoids as they are sticking or the stepper is sticking on the distributor
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote