Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Articles

Notices

200 Series Articles How to's and Guides for the 200 series.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A guide on how to swap an engine

Views : 9290

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 30th, 2007, 19:55   #11
740 In France
James

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your tremendous writeup. Extremely usefull and informative and very detailed. I saved it in my favorites for when I get a volvo. Dont think I will be doing an engine replacement for me though. Too technical for me I think. I certainly would not have a go if it was my only car, for fear of ******* it up. I would have a go if it was a project car though. I Want a late 940 turbo estate and quite like a 240glt saloons and/or a 760 turbo saloon as well. Many thanks James.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 21:32   #12
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well done mike an excellent write up.I can see this becoming more popular as you certainly know what your at.I have done so many of the usual jobs myself including engine swaps and the like.But thinking it through and taking pictures as well.it is so easy to miss bits out as you are so used to doing it.
I always assume when telling somebody how to do somethink that they know what I'm on about,Now I have had all kinds of cars and most are different in the way they do things,The ford I had you adjusted the handbrake via the shoes and then the austin had an automatic adjuster,So even basic stuff like changing rear brakeshoes can be very difficult to the novice(if not impossible)For instance when I did them on my first 240 the haynes manual didn't clearly show where the adjuster was under the casing of the handbrake,so it left me wondering if the shoes were incorrect as the drums didn't quite want to go on,I eventually found the adjuster only because I took the whole cover off trying to find it>I now know how easy it is to access with an extension and only undoing two trim bolts.So keep up the good work and the very basic but accurate descriptions.
Regards Brian.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 22:17   #13
Checkpoint Charlie

Well Done Mike,
What a great job to take the time to document this for us all!
Regards,
From New Zealand,
Checkpoint Charlie
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 11:47   #14
Richard C

Fantastic article Mike. It's this kind of generosity with time and effort that makes these forums so good.