Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT" after replacing battery

Views : 4509

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 16th, 2017, 21:35   #1
GekkePrutser

Default "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT" after replacing battery

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if any of you would know how to clear this fault.

I've been having a bad battery for a while, leading to difficulty starting, I've had to break out the booster pack several times. I think what didn't help is that I'm often away for weeks on end so it ends up deep discharging. Also various error messages came up (most likely due to the low voltage on the battery), such as power steering fault etc. This got worse lately. I came back from holidays and it was dead again, and even a 30min drive wouldn't get it in startable condition anymore.

Today I finally got around to buying a new battery, and installing it went smoothly. However, after installing it, it is still showing the "ENGINE SYSTEM SERVICE URGENT" message and the red warning light is on. I'm pretty sure this happened during the last time I tried to start with the dead battery. But I can't clear it for some reason.

I think this error is stuck in the ECU somewhere. I tried resetting the warnings using the dash method (pressing the button under the speedo for 4 seconds) and it resets as normal, the engine warning light is also not on!

Also, I tried resetting it through the OBD with the Torque app. I also see no active faults when I scan it. So I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the engine. It also performs as normal.

But still this error remains. I can clear it after starting using either method, however when I turn it off and on it appears again.

I'd say the dealer could clear it but they always fleece me for extra things so I'm not really looking forward to that. I'd really like to clear this fault to see if it reappears because I wanted to sell the car soon (moving to Spain so I don't need it anymore), or give it away to my girlfriend. But that won't work with the engine light on And it feels bad scrapping it because it's in decent condition otherwise. And I just spent 100 on a new battery.

I wouldn't sell it for much anyway as it's an '05 but still, it feels like a waste to just scrap it. It's been serving me very well and is still in great condition. I figured if I could clear the fault it would appear again if it was something real, anyway and I'm only going in 4 weeks time. Also, I doubt it is a real fault as there are no faults in OBD at all.

I'm kind of kicking myself now for buying that battery as I may have to scrap it now (not going to pay the dealer hundreds of euros to get it cleared of course).

Just wondering: Is there any chance this'll clear itself after a while of proper running? Or after leaving the battery disconnected for a long time?

Last edited by GekkePrutser; Aug 16th, 2017 at 21:50.
GekkePrutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 14:07   #2
GekkePrutser

So.. I tried leaving the battery disconnected overnight, that didn't help.

I also contacted the local dealer and they said it's 96 euro an hour and they have no idea how long it takes.. Not writing them a blank cheque so I think I'll just order a VIDA cable myself... It's only 70 so probably cheaper than the dealer will charge me (from past experience they tend to find plenty of things to charge for).

Would there be anyone in the west of Ireland who could reset it for me? Just thought I'd ask in case anyone reads this. It'll take a while to order one of these cables, all the sellers seem to be in China.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 14:44   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
So.. I tried leaving the battery disconnected overnight, that didn't help.

I also contacted the local dealer and they said it's 96 euro an hour and they have no idea how long it takes.. Not writing them a blank cheque so I think I'll just order a VIDA cable myself... It's only 70 so probably cheaper than the dealer will charge me (from past experience they tend to find plenty of things to charge for).

Would there be anyone in the west of Ireland who could reset it for me? Just thought I'd ask in case anyone reads this. It'll take a while to order one of these cables, all the sellers seem to be in China.
Would gladly help but Im in Dublin so if you are around one day, no problem. Otherwise - getting your own Vida is always a good choice anyway, just a bit of hassle with installation but once done - new portal to Volvo Dimension opens for you :} Hope your issue is just once-reset one, and not recurring problem. Fingers crossed
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 15:22   #4
GekkePrutser

Oh that would be great, if you wouldn't mind! I'll check if I will be in the Dublin area any time soon and I'll let you know.

The thing with getting a cable is that it takes a while and I'm moving to Spain in about a month. So I'm just trying to get the car NCTd and ideally sold (I would just hate having to scrap it because it's still so nice). I wouldn't need the cable after that. I'm not getting a car in Spain because I'll be living in Barcelona and public transport there is much more convenient.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the old battery being extremely worn out. I had to jumpstart it every time after leaving it a few days and the voltage got really low, leading to all sorts of errors during starting. ABS, Power steering, it even complained about broken light bulbs that are clearly working correctly. All the other ones auto cleared with the new battery, I just think this one never cleared because it requires a manual reset. It only appeared around the time I changed the battery. I'll see soon enough after I reset it anyway.
Old Aug 17th, 2017, 16:51   #5
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
Oh that would be great, if you wouldn't mind! I'll check if I will be in the Dublin area any time soon and I'll let you know.

The thing with getting a cable is that it takes a while and I'm moving to Spain in about a month. So I'm just trying to get the car NCTd and ideally sold (I would just hate having to scrap it because it's still so nice). I wouldn't need the cable after that. I'm not getting a car in Spain because I'll be living in Barcelona and public transport there is much more convenient.

I'm pretty sure this is due to the old battery being extremely worn out. I had to jumpstart it every time after leaving it a few days and the voltage got really low, leading to all sorts of errors during starting. ABS, Power steering, it even complained about broken light bulbs that are clearly working correctly. All the other ones auto cleared with the new battery, I just think this one never cleared because it requires a manual reset. It only appeared around the time I changed the battery. I'll see soon enough after I reset it anyway.
No problem. I work in Dublin mon-fri so if you are around during work hours we will figure something out. Just send me PM in advance so I can take Vida with me to work
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 19:14   #6
GekkePrutser

Thanks again but I have already bought a VIDA/DiCE cable as I had no time to go to Dublin. Unfortunately it is a more serious specific fault. I've raised a new topic for it here as I couldn't change the subject of this one:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...88#post2311288

I think this must have happened when I installed the new battery

Still, the cable cost me less than the dealer would have charged me to diagnose it :')

Personally I'd just keep driving with it but I'm leaving the country soon so it's unfortunate..

Last edited by GekkePrutser; Aug 22nd, 2017 at 19:16.