Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 C30 1.6D EGR valve

Views : 7726

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2018, 11:10   #1
Tombobrown

Default 2008 C30 1.6D EGR valve

Hello there,

This is my first post, having lurked on this site for a little while.

I've had a 2008 c30 1.6D R-Design for about 18 months now. recently it had been popping up an engine warning light on the dash, with the following codes:

P1412: EGR Different.Pressure Sensor Signal too Low
P2458: Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Duration (not worried about this one)
P0490: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Control Circuit A High

Following advice on some of the other post on this site, I took the EGR valve out and cleaned the mechanism with carb cleaner until I could operate the valve easily with my fingers. It was very sooty, but before cleaning I could still open and close the valve before cleaning. I also noticed that the valve gasket wasn't sealing fully, as one bolt was loose and the gasket was sooty on one side.
After refitting the cleaned gasket I ran my car for the weekend and got the same light on the dash with this same code as before:

At this point I figured that the valve must be faulty, so I opted to replace it. I bought this replacement valve from amazon which I fitted on saturday: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At first this seemed to fix everything, but this morning I had an "anti skid system service required" warning light, with these codes:
P2458: Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration Duration (not worried about this one)
P1402: EGR Valve Circ Short to B+

Any ideas would be great. I'm wondering if I've bought a faulty valve from amazon. It was cheaper than the alternative from eurocarparts.com

Any help Is appreciated,

Tom
Tombobrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2018, 12:52   #2
Tombobrown

After email d2p the supplier, they have offered to send me a replacement valve. I'll try fitting the new one when it arrives and see if the faults reoccur.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 16:36   #3
GingerDiesel

Hello,

I've had a lot of EGR trouble. When I eventually replaced it with a Euro Car Parts quality part I got those same error codes. The Anti-Skid warning came up too - in these cars it works hand in hand with the engine, so any EGR problems often throw up this warning.

I understand that these engines are very picky about their electronics, and after reading here of people replacing the EGR even with genuine Valeo or Ford (on the Focus Forum!) EGRs these type of faults still occurred.

I had to blank and map out mine in the end. The performance is incredible compared to what it was before... probably the best idea for yours too?

Simon
GingerDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 13:13   #4
Tombobrown

Thanks Simon,

I also tried fitting the Euro Car Parts quality part after both the d2p parts gave the same codes. This actually ended up worse than the cheaper part, as this morning the engine went into limp mode on my way to work as well as giving me same codes as the cheaper one! I've talked to the garage on the phone this morning and, I'm getting the local volvo garage to scan and reset it next week.

I had read up a bit about getting it blanked, I think I'm heading in the same direction.
Old Jul 3rd, 2018, 22:28   #5
jjtimbertops

Default jim c

Hi, my first on the site, got a 2011 c30 d2. got a new egr valve on order, but have noticed the black plastic rod, from a black plastic cone shaped thing to a lever and a wiring connector is broken. cant find any exploded pics of volvo parts on websites, so i don't know the name or part number.
Also what is the best way to remove the egr valve.
Any ideas guys.
Jim.
jjtimbertops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 16:41   #6
iainmd

Interesting that the Anti-skid service required appeared using aftermarket EGR valves. I fitted a Euro Car Parts one recently and, guess what, we now have Anti-Skid service required. I'm guessing I'm now going to have to purchase an OEM Volvo EGR :-(

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 17:51   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombobrown View Post
Hello there,

I've had a 2008 c30 1.6D R-Design for about 18 months now. recently it had been popping up an engine warning light on the dash, with the following codes:

Following advice on some of the other post on this site, I took the EGR valve out and cleaned the mechanism with carb cleaner until I could operate the valve easily with my fingers. It was very sooty, but before cleaning I could still open and close the valve before cleaning. I also noticed that the valve gasket wasn't sealing fully, as one bolt was loose and the gasket was sooty on one side.
After refitting the cleaned gasket I ran my car for the weekend and got the same light on the dash with this same code as before:

At this point I figured that the valve must be faulty, so I opted to replace it. I bought this replacement valve from amazon which I fitted on saturday: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
At first this seemed to fix everything, but this morning I had an "anti skid system service required" warning light, with these codes:

Any ideas would be great. I'm wondering if I've bought a faulty valve from amazon. It was cheaper than the alternative from eurocarparts.com

Any help Is appreciated,

Tom
This isn't an EGR Valve problem, it is the particle filter pressure sensor or the two pipes burned through just as they go on to the particle filter .
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 00:00   #8
Urvish28

Default Volvo c30 1.6D 2010 49,700 miles

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been experiencing major power issues with my c30 for a few months now after I purchased it.
I have had it plugged in for diagnostic at Volvo Sturgess and got the following codes:

1) 4420 egr position sensor - signal low

2) 2a00 pressure sensor particulate trap - signal too high

Please could I get some advice on how to tackle this?
I have considered changing the EGR valve because I have been told both faults are arising because of the knackered EGR valve- common fault.

Many Thanks,

Urvish
Urvish28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2019, 00:20   #9
Urvish28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urvish28 View Post
Hello,

I am new to this forum and have been experiencing major power issues with my c30 for a few months now after I purchased it.
I have had it plugged in for diagnostic at Volvo Sturgess and got the following codes:

1) 4420 egr position sensor - signal low

2) 2a00 pressure sensor particulate trap - signal too high

Please could I get some advice on how to tackle this?
I have considered changing the EGR valve because I have been told both faults are arising because of the knackered EGR valve- common fault.

Many Thanks,

Urvish
I have created/posted a new thread for this issue "C30 Engine : Volvo C30 1.6D 2010 Loss of Power" -[URL="https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294177"]
Apologies, new to this forum and still getting use to it.

Many Thanks,

Urvish
Urvish28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 18:02   #10
leegurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombobrown View Post
Hello there,

Any help Is appreciated,

Tom
Hi tom, was just wondering if you sorted the egr problems you had I have the same ones now replaced with genuine egr but the codes remain? Thanks
leegurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c30 1.6d, egr cleaning, egr low pressure, egr problems, egr valve