Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wasp causes buzzin' in rear view mirror

Views : 1293

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:07   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Wasp causes buzzin' in rear view mirror

Has anyone else experienced a buzzing / vibration noise in their XC90's front cabin?

We've had this noise (which sounds most like an insect wings beating) for months. Most noticable at speed and over stone-chip road surfaces.

If you sat on the left of the cabin you thought it was coming from the driver's side. The driver thought it was coming from the passenger side. Very annoying for such an expensive car.

Initially we thought it was dash trim. Then something outside resonating against the windscreen. Then we read threads about gaps where the roof rails fix into the roof etc. etc.

Turns out that it's the rear view mirror. When we hold it tight it stops buzzin'. We think it's something inside the mirror as there's a flap on the back of the mirror and, when we open it, the sound is louder.

The dealer has agreed to replace the mirror under warrany which is nice. Hope that cures it otherwise we've misdiagnosed the problem!

If you have a similar hive of trapped wasps in your XC90 this thread may help?

All the best and any similar experiences with rattles and squeeks posted here will be appreciated. I'm manic about interior trim that rattles on an exec car.

Regards

Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 22:47   #2
theonlyone

Default bzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I too have a buzzing noise in the front cabin of my '05 D5 SE (55K miles). It appears at 80+ and is so annoying it works as a pretty good speed limiter. I would like to be able to fix it and would be grateful for advice from anyone who has had the same experience and has managed to sort it.

theonlyone
theonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2010, 23:51   #3
dyu1211

Default same noise

Recently I was annoyed by this noise until I saw this thread. Yes, your are right. When I hold tight the rear mirror then buzzing is gone.

I tried to open the back flap and could not figured out how it happened. I will try to spray WD-40 just inside the flap today and see if that works. If the noise is coming from inside of mirror, I may not get it fixed since I can not open the rear view mirror completely. Anyone got other solution?

Since this noise is hard to be reproduced in dealer, I am wondering I can get it replaced.

ps,
my car 2009 xc90 3.2

Last edited by dyu1211; Sep 5th, 2010 at 00:08.
dyu1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 12:26   #4
Rainedon

The process in this series of images cannot be too dissimilar to the XC90 mirror. They may help you get inside and find what is likely to be a small screw or piece of solder.

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...4bad37e984f38c
Rainedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 15:17   #5
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Check sun visor is in the clip this can cause a vibration noise
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 07:50   #6
madnurse

Default I could get so annoyed.

On mine the windscreen was replaced, there is a annoying vibration from the cover over the rain/light sensor directly behind the rear view mirror. Currently cured with a peice of card shoved in their! I dont think the sensor is properly bonded to the screen either as I have never had the automatic wipers working.
140,000miles. Silver, Black Leather, Aluminium Dash
madnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:06   #7
theonlyone

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72625
theonlyone is offline   Reply With Quote