Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Andrew Bangham - 1mph Over the Speed Limit - Prosecution

Views : 5600

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 12:54   #91
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the "war on speed" was based on the number of accidents and specifically road deaths.
Police were required to report whether "speed was a factor" in all RTA's they attended.
For obvious reasons the statistical quality of the data was poor but the "impression" that speed was an issue could easily be presented to the public when installing speed cameras.

Speed, in and of itself, does not kill. Coming to a sudden stop or sharp random changes in direction (following impact) can.
What causes most accidents is inattention, whether fiddling with car settings, changing media, mobile phone use, watching films on a laptop (!!) or reading sheet maps on the steering wheel.
Speed will affect the consequences as the higher the speed the greater the damage.

I regularly drive behind people who will drive at 50-55 on national speed limit roads in good conditions. When said road had the speed limit dropped to 50 said same people started driving at 40-45.
Now either their speedo are waaaaay off or they are shoot scared of speed cameras.
This is not being near the speed limit but well below it.

Causing frustration in that manner can lead to people doing or taking stupid risks to get past. Another cause for accidents.

As far as I am concerned remote policing is abhorrent and motoring offenses (involving points) should only be administered by a uniformed traffic officer.

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CTCNetwork For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 13:32   #92
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCNetwork View Post
Hi,

Speed, in and of itself, does not kill. Coming to a sudden stop or sharp random changes in direction (following impact) can.
Speed will affect the consequences as the higher the speed the greater the damage.

Sorry, but for me that is a contradiction. You have given the reasons why speed does kill. A young pedestrian can walk out in front of your car, whilst you are doing nothing wrong, not even speeding and the result can be death.

The speed kills point is referring to the impact and the kinetic forces involved, which was vividly shown in this road safety advert;

https://youtu.be/HeUX6LABCEA

That is why speed does indeed kill in and of itself. You do need to be doing anything wrong and speed can kill.

Last edited by Delta66; Feb 14th, 2018 at 13:35.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 14:09   #93
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta66 View Post
Sorry, but for me that is a contradiction. You have given the reasons why speed does kill. A young pedestrian can walk out in front of your car, whilst you are doing nothing wrong, not even speeding and the result can be death.

The speed kills point is referring to the impact and the kinetic forces involved, which was vividly shown in this road safety advert;

https://youtu.be/HeUX6LABCEA

That is why speed does indeed kill in and of itself. You do need to be doing anything wrong and speed can kill.
That is just as bad as you make it sound as if speed is the only factor. It is not, it is just one of the risk factors. It is risk that is important and that reduction in risk is why motorways are safer than A roads yet the smart motorway is being used as the cash cow.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 14:34   #94
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by id5 View Post
That is just as bad as you make it sound as if speed is the only factor. It is not, it is just one of the risk factors. It is risk that is important and that reduction in risk is why motorways are safer than A roads yet the smart motorway is being used as the cash cow.
My point is that the "speed kills" campaign is referring to the point of impact. Speed at the point of impact is the prime factor when it comes to determining the likelihood of injury or death.

You can have any type of accident you want, with any cause and if at the point of impact the speed is 5mph you will be fine and at 50mph the chances are you will not.

What speed kills really means is best shown by the advert I linked to of the girl who had been hit by a car and what effect different speeds had on her level of injury.

But there is an ambiguity in the phrase "speed kills", which some seized on and claimed just driving at speed is somehow going to kill and they used it to ridicule anti-speeding campaigns.

Those people have missed the point.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 15:21   #95
Grimble
Grimble

Appropriate speed is unlikely to contribute to an accident.

Inappropriate speed can be a contributor to an accident.

Both of the above bear no relevance to the one size fits all mandatory speed limits that are posted on our highways.

60mph in thick fog on the motorway is a bit hairy.
100mph on a clear, dry, quiet motorway is not.

Risk is present in all aspects of everyday life and I for one object to being constantly forced down the lowest common denominator path to suit those that cant cope.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 15:29   #96
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
Appropriate speed is unlikely to contribute to an accident.

Inappropriate speed can be a contributor to an accident.

Both of the above bear no relevance to the one size fits all mandatory speed limits that are posted on our highways.

60mph in thick fog on the motorway is a bit hairy.
100mph on a clear, dry, quiet motorway is not.

Risk is present in all aspects of everyday life and I for one object to being constantly forced down the lowest common denominator path to suit those that cant cope.
Motorway speed limits are varied regularly, with issues such as fog, roadworks, congestion etc (well they are on the M8 near me). I do think the limit could be safely raised to 80mph.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 19:11   #97
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Motorway speed limits are varied regularly, with issues such as fog, roadworks, congestion etc (well they are on the M8 near me). I do think the limit could be safely raised to 80mph.
I do! There are some motorways where 100mph would be fine in good conditions. Fog and roadworks already have enforceable temporary limits. Congestion limits itself.

Don't forget that it is still possible to be guilty of dangerous driving even within the limit. A limit does not absolve a driver of responsibility, it simply is a maximum at which irresponsibility becomes statutory.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 06:23   #98
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
My point is that the "speed kills" campaign is referring to the point of impact. Speed at the point of impact is the prime factor when it comes to determining the likelihood of injury or death.

You can have any type of accident you want, with any cause and if at the point of impact the speed is 5mph you will be fine and at 50mph the chances are you will not.

What speed kills really means is best shown by the advert I linked to of the girl who had been hit by a car and what effect different speeds had on her level of injury.

But there is an ambiguity in the phrase "speed kills", which some seized on and claimed just driving at speed is somehow going to kill and they used it to ridicule anti-speeding campaigns.

Those people have missed the point.
Speed is not the only factor, road design is another and that has killed more people than speed. The motorways are about as safe as it gets, by design, although they can still be improved without reducing speed. Speed though is seen as the cheapest, most controllable factor but that fight against speed is now being used to generate money rather than reducing deaths. The cost of the smart motorways could have improved a large number of road design accident black spots.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to id5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 10:14   #99
Delta66

Speed can be a contributing factor to accidents. I am also a biker and one of the biggest killers of bikers is losing control in corners when going in too fast. That speed is contributing to the accident, which in most cases is the biker ditching the bike in the verge.

That is different from determining if the accident will be slight, serious or fatal. If the biker hits the verge at 5 mph and topples over, dented pride and a dent on the bike. If the biker hits the verge at 50 mph, serious injury if not death. Speed determines if the accident kills.

That is why there are heavier restrictions that otherwise expected on otherwise safe motorways. They are the safest roads, but the speeds are at the highest and speed kills.

If people really do want ride of speed cameras, don't speed, make them too expensive to maintain, they will be removed and you can speed all you want!
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 11:41   #100
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:

If people really do want ride of speed cameras, don't speed, make them too expensive to maintain, they will be removed and you can speed all you want!
An old friend of mine lives in Sweden. Years ago, when cameras went up in the countryside, local farmers would use them as target practise for their shotguns.

The cost of repair led to their removal. Cameras do not belong on open country roads, proper junction design does.