Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2.0t auto reviews/opinions please

Views : 2780

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2017, 00:34   #21
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwell View Post
**** can someone link me to the page where someone wrote out how to change the oil return pipe seal etc? There were pictures and part numbers... BUT for the life of me I can't find it anymore...
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=172556

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 13:47   #22
Samwell
Master Member

Many thanks!

I looked at the pipe, it certainly looks like it's that that is causing the leak under the oil sump. Im not sure if I have the patience to do that job... And I dont like the idea of laying under the car for that long, with my back...

Changed The spark plugs yesterday, and leads (2 of them). The old plugs had about 200m gap between them (a little exaggeration ) and now the fuel consumption is 100 times better. No engine management light, no "hopping", no problem. Also changed fuel filter as it looked like the original was still on there...! And air filter.

The car doesn't appear to be using water and the oil is still oil, not mixed, but is steams like a train out the back when driving around. I thought it might have been unburnt fuel and that the spark plug change would fix that, but it doesn't appear to have. Gave it a blast down the motorway, foot to the floor, top revs, and it didn't steam then, or when driving slower... I thought I was in the clear, but then it started to steam up again when I parked back home.

Any ideas??
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 14:57   #23
ITSv40
VOC Member

Is the 'steam' from the exhaust not just normal condensation in the air because the atmosphere is cold.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 17:28   #24
Samwell
Master Member

I'm certain it's not... It is cold here but it steams up more than any other car on the road and than our other Volvos. When I put my foot down, not even hard, the steam covers up the rear vision completely.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samwell For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2017, 19:15   #25
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwell View Post

The car doesn't appear to be using water and the oil is still oil, not mixed, but is steams like a train out the back when driving around. I thought it might have been unburnt fuel and that the spark plug change would fix that, but it doesn't appear to have. Gave it a blast down the motorway, foot to the floor, top revs, and it didn't steam then, or when driving slower... I thought I was in the clear, but then it started to steam up again when I parked back home.

Any ideas??
Definitely get the pipe sorted. That may sort it. What colour smoke out of the back?

'08 V50 2.0D

Last edited by Haizum74; Dec 4th, 2017 at 19:25.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 08:48   #26
Samwell
Master Member

Well the local Volvo dealer is asking about £100 to change the seal and gasket on the return pipe. I got it by email, wanted to write back and ask if they were kidding, but decided not to and said I'd like to book it in asap. I explained it as well as I could and they replied with a reply that sounded like they knew exactly which part it was....

I was expecting a cost of 400+...

Have ordered a headgasket tester kit as well, so I can rest assured OR take action. That'll turn up in a week or so, so I'll report back with the findings on that later.

One thing I notice about the car which is slightly odd, is that it seems to get hot quickly... Not by the engine feel, not by the water temperature, that stays relatively low in temp, all the time. But when I park up, even having driven to work which is 5 minutes and through town, no traffic and it was -3 this morning... The engine ticks as it cools down once stopped. Either the engine or the exhaust... Or cat... I dont know which, but it ticks more than any other car I have ever owned...
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 19:28   #27
mike1950

Hi.I drive a 1999 2.0T and have the same smoke issue.
When I first got the car a few years back was like yourself a bit concerned.Sit with engine idling,blip the pedal and get a cloud of smoke then start thinking about head gasket.
But does'nt loose water and engine oil fine,probably like yours no other issues or symptoms
Seems to be an idiosyncrasy of the car which I have got used to and it does it regardless of air temperature though obviously more noticeable in winter.
Hopefully your head gasket test proves negative and like mine it is simply water vapour.
mike1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 19:47   #28
V40T4R

A lot of vapour in my T4 also in cold weather! Nothing wrong with it.
Old Dec 5th, 2017, 21:25   #29
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40T4R View Post
A lot of vapour in my T4 also in cold weather! Nothing wrong with it.
Yeh ditto, I had **** loads this evening until it warmed up.

'08 V50 2.0D
The Following User Says Thank You to Haizum74 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2017, 00:09   #30
Samwell
Master Member

Some kind, reassuring words there guys, thanks! :-)

I'll see what the next week or 2 gives me, the coolant test report and the garage's oil seal fix... MIGHT finally get around to cleaning out the car too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Samwell For This Useful Post: