Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus map updates

Views : 1086

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2017, 23:42   #1
molsal

Default Sensus map updates

Could someone please shed light on how often map updates are made available for the sensus satnav in a 2016 xc60 nav lux please.
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 08:18   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsal View Post
Could someone please shed light on how often map updates are made available for the sensus satnav in a 2016 xc60 nav lux please.
Twice a year, usually May and November. Don't expect them to be totally up-to-date however. Garmin (which uses the same HERE mapping source data) update up to four times a year, and even when the updates coincide, Sensus is still behind. I know this from the many junction changes which are currently taking place on the A1 and a new road near Lancaster.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 11:05   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Also be aware that the last update significantly reduced the amount of detail that is displayed at and above 0.5ml zoom - all you now get is A roads around my way which means the screen is blank 90% of the time
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 13:34   #4
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Also be aware that the last update significantly reduced the amount of detail that is displayed at and above 0.5ml zoom - all you now get is A roads around my way which means the screen is blank 90% of the time
I actually did a roll-back to both the May 2016 and the November 2015 'update' and nothing seems to have changed since then. Perhaps before 11/15 it showed more detail. I agree it is not a good display at 0.5 and above. I tend to show 0.2 when driving rural, and 2 miles when on motorways. I remain continually amazed how Sensus and Garmin can differ in route planning, neither being regularly better then the other. Also notifications of road closures can be out of date on both systems. Driving down to Plymouth for Easter both systems told me the A38 was closed on Thursday evening. It wasn't. The road cones were there but clearly the (evening) closure was not planned that evening. So, whilst we might sometime blame our sat navs, there is some evidence they are being streamed with the wrong data.
What do they say ? Garbage in, garbage out.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Apr 15th, 2017 at 13:36.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 14:06   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

This is typical what I see

The problem is that when you zoom in to 0.2 then you lose all relationship to what is around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0509.jpg (128.9 KB, 71 views)
Old Apr 15th, 2017, 23:53   #6
molsal

Tkank you, I did the November update, I live near Leyburn so suffer the same A1 changes as you do. I also have a Garmin which is wel in front of sensus in our area.I think both are pretty useless in rural locations withregards to route planning, my wifes tomtom knocks the socks off both systems with regards to route selection and particularly traffic and ETA.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 17:10   #7
John35

Default SatNav Map Updates

I am trying to update the mapping on my 2013 V40 SE Lux Nav. I have followed the online instructions and successfully downloaded the maps to an empty USB stick. When plugging in the USB stick into the car, it's recognised and the maps are there to download. Estimated time 2hrs 45min. On clicking ok a message appears to enter a 'licence code'. No one seems to know what this is. I've asked Volvo UK and they say the dealer has it. My Volvo dealer doesn't know what it is and feels it maybe related to the old cd disc updates or a software update. Has anyone on the forum had the same problem and knows what this code is?
John35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 20:29   #8
ele288

To enable map updates via USB you need software update to infotainment done by the dealer, around £60 or independent with vida online
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote