Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can't open cover of jack storage area

Views : 1575

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 13th, 2014, 04:40   #1
SKi Devil

Default Can't open cover of jack storage area

I just purchased a 2006 XC 90 AWD V8 and I realized that the release strap for the jack storage area is missing. Does anyone know how to open the compartment without the release strap?
SKi Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 04:49   #2
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Hi ski devil and welcome to the site.

The same thing happened to me in august just after I bought mine.
Just so as I am clear do you mean the cover in the boot space floor with the (usually) rope pull in it?
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 05:19   #3
SKi Devil

Yes, I think so. The area underneath the storage area behind my 3rd row seat area. Its the lid to the jack storage area.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 05:31   #4
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

If what I said is yes then what you need is something like an allen key (An L leg one).
Poke the small bit in the hole and lift straight up on the long bit.
It should raise up easily and when you lift up the flap it should expose the shopping bag carrier straps and on each side a flat horizontal clip over a mushroom head on 2 straps.
Slide these forward and up and lift the whole panel straight up vertically and out. It should come out in one piece(well actually a 2 piece hinged flap is what you should have in your hand).

That will gain you access to the jack and accessories.

Before you replace the panel(reverse of removal) if you still have the cord pull (mine was black cord), what I did was to use a 40mm penny washer both sides of the panel rethreaded the cord and tied a big knot so it couldn't come loose again.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by xco; Dec 13th, 2014 at 05:51.
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 05:41   #5
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKi Devil View Post
Yes, I think so. The area underneath the storage area behind my 3rd row seat area. Its the lid to the jack storage area.
Yep ski devil our posts have crossed mate whilst I was waiting for you to respond so try what I have said and let me know how you get on it should cure it.
Also whilst I have you on line, when you get cover off you will see a gap between each 3 row seat (if you have them in below the floor position/closed)and it is very important that you dont let any tools or the tow bar(if you have detatchable one thats where it usually sits in a bag when not in use) foul the runners for the seats when down as the seat backs (3 row)wont drop and fold if obstructed.
Hope this helps let me know how you get on.
The Following User Says Thank You to xco For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 20:49   #6
SKi Devil

I can open the shopping bag carrier, but the jack storage compartment beneath the shopping bag carrier will not open. I tried to stick an Allen wrench in the hole, but I could not seem to trigger the release. I may need to take a few pictures of my dilemma when my daughter returns with the car.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 21:19   #7
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

No mate there's no release mechanism under the hole I meant you to use the L shaped allen key as a hook to pick up the cover to lift it up, thats all the cord lift in the middle does which you say is missing.

When you lift the panel up in the cargo area with the recessed handle you should see 2 fabric and elastic straps at each end of the hatch at 45 degrees which stop the panel from folding right back on itself.
At the end of these are 2 sliding captive brakets which are slotted for release.
Slide these towards you and disengage the straps out of the way, put the allen key in the hole as a hook and lift straight up and the whole caboose should come out like a parcel shelf.
The refit is the reverse of extraction but refer to my previous posts to you about refitting the cord with 40mm penny washers and a big knot top and bottom through the panel so it cant fall through again.
And finally dont forget to re-engage the brackets on the straps cos it wont let you close the lid until you have.
Let me know how you get on if not clear post pictures as you suggest and I'll see where you are going wrong.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 21:21   #8
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKi Devil View Post
I can open the shopping bag carrier, but the jack storage compartment beneath the shopping bag carrier will not open. I tried to stick an Allen wrench in the hole, but I could not seem to trigger the release. I may need to take a few pictures of my dilemma when my daughter returns with the car.
make sure you have unlatched the straps from the shopping back carrier at the front otherwise it wont release
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 21:49   #9
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

No mate there's no release mechanism under the hole I meant you to use the L shaped allen key as a hook to pick up the cover to lift it up, thats all the cord lift in the middle does which you say is missing.

When you lift the panel up in the cargo area with the recessed handle you should see 2 fabric and elastic straps at each end of the hatch at 45 degrees which stop the panel from folding right back on itself.
At the end of these are 2 sliding captive brakets which are slotted for release.
Slide these towards you and disengage the straps out of the way, put the allen key in the hole as a hook and lift straight up and the whole caboose should come out like a parcel shelf.
The refit is the reverse of extraction but refer to my previous posts to you about refitting the cord with 40mm penny washers and a big knot top and bottom through the panel so it cant fall through again.
And finally dont forget to re-engage the brackets on the straps cos it wont let you close the lid until you have.
Let me know how you get on if not clear post pictures as you suggest and I'll see where you are going wrong.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 21:54   #10
xco
Premier Member

Double posted for some reason moderators please remove