Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Replacement windscreen / trim damage

Views : 894

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:10   #1
Strav

Default Replacement windscreen / trim damage

Hello all,

I’ve had my 1990 GLT for about 7 years now and about 5 years ago had to replace the front screen.

Unfortunately I had to go to work after the fitter arrived and when I returned I found the screen replaced but the original trim warped and hanging off in places. In the end I had to use a black mastic type sealant to botch it back together and made the best of a bad job.

I learned afterwards that the trim for these is very often just brittle and perished over time (makes sense) but it’s difficult to source replacements.

Someone told me that the replacement screen for a 760 comes complete with trim and fits the aperture in a 240 and so overcomes this issues.

I’m raising all of this now because guess what, I’ve picked up a big crack on the screen again and want to get it right this time round.

I wonder, does anyone know anything about this? I want to get all my facts straight before i approach my insurer and their fitters. I don’t think the original trim will survive another attempt.

I’d be grateful for any tips you have.

Cheers
Matt
Strav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 11:53   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

When you phone your insurer ask them to fit it with a rubber seal from a 1992 Torslanda spec vehicle or specifically request they use a rubber seal and not the trim (or find a Torslanda reg online and give them that to order the parts).

I had the screen replaced on my old 1988 GLT earlier this year through Auto Windscreens and he used a new 240 screen and a generic windscreen seal he had in the van that comes on a huge roll. Bonded the screen in and fitted this seal, stuck it down where it needed it in the corners and it looked mint.

The later seals don't look as crap, they don't trap water, don't give as much wind noise but you may find a nice 5mm gap around the edge of the screen that'll need t-cutting back and polishing in so it matches the rest of the car after the old trim has been removed.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 12:23   #3
Strav

This is really useful, thanks.

Having spoken to my local auto glass place they've told me there's a model of screen that comes up on their list for that year of 240 that comes with trim built into the screen.

It might be this one, though I need to double check: http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...creen/1021172/

Cheers
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 15:01   #4
dan 244
Master Member

Hi the end of line 240se estates 1993 come with the screen with the rubber seals as original equipment. If you would like a reg to check the part against with your insurance company L499 GJO as we have one.
As for you old trim, it sounds like a bad fitter that didn’t know what he was doing, we had a screen replaced 3 years ago in a 1989 gl, some of the clips that held the surround on got broken on removal of the old screen because they are stuck in the sealer that holds the screen in, but Autoglass knew this would happen and already ordered a set from Volvo. The first fitter that came refused to do it as he didn’t know what to do, and a second fitter was sent. But all good and original.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 16:56   #5
Strav

Thanks for this Dan. Putting a 1993 240SE into the Scandix site it comes up with the windscreen that’s linked to above (as the only one for that model) - so I think we’re talking about the same one - and therefore definitely the one I need.

Thanks again for your help

Matt
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 22:05   #6
dan 244
Master Member

Yes I have just compared your pic and I would agree it looks like the one. I have hopefully attached a couple of pics of the car if it worked lol, dark but should see it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1B68330B-5373-4931-A620-B70560D993E4.jpg (55.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 4BA97803-E999-4FD6-A9D2-8D94E00F4CFC.jpg (91.7 KB, 17 views)
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 22:20   #7
Strav

Thanks Dan - looks tidy and a big improvement on the current trim.

Tags
240 windscreen, trim