Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

Views : 12977

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2022, 16:40   #1
Seasider72

Question V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

My Volvo v60 powered tailgate has started sinking a few inches after reaching maximum height. Nearly knocked me unconscious in the supermarket car park this morning when it started closing unexpectedly whilst I was loading the shopping bags!

Will this require a new pump/motor or just replacement tailgate struts?

Either way, sounds expensive :-(
Seasider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2022, 18:11   #2
passenger
Master Member

I have same problem, need to change this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2022, 20:16   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Have you got foot movement opening/closing, and did you have your foot under the sensor while loading items in the cargo area, which will close the tailgate.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 18:15   #4
Seasider72

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
Have you got foot movement opening/closing, and did you have your foot under the sensor while loading items in the cargo area, which will close the tailgate.
No - it happens every time I open the boot now, irrespective of the foot sensor (which I find never works most of the time, especially when carrying heavy items! LOL)
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:34   #5
Iansr

I have a 68 reg V60 and I have exactly the same problem. Anyone know what the solution is?

BTW, the auto raise function with the foot under the car has never worked consistently on our car. We complain about it every time the car goes in to the dealer.
Iansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:36   #6
Iansr

The link to the YouTube vid posted by Passenger does not work on my ipad, can someone post the URL please?
Iansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:38   #7
Seasider72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansr View Post
I have a 68 reg V60 and I have exactly the same problem. Anyone know what the solution is?

BTW, the auto raise function with the foot under the car has never worked consistently on our car. We complain about it every time the car goes in to the dealer.
I've been looking online for replacement tailgate struts for a V60 II 2018+ , but just can't seem to find them anywhere. Looks like it might have to be a main dealer job :-(
Old May 4th, 2022, 10:39   #8
Seasider72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansr View Post
The link to the YouTube vid posted by Passenger does not work on my ipad, can someone post the URL please?
Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zsWRSEnxaA&t=2s
Old May 4th, 2022, 13:00   #9
kdst5

I had this problem on my V70 and watched the YouTube video posted above as the XC70 and V70 have basically the same interiors. However I knew that Volvo changed the tailgate system part way through the XC70/V70 P3 run.

So instead of buying the parts before starting I took the existing strut off and got the part number off that. I also found that indeed Volvo had changed the design and there is only one strut of a different design from the one in the Video. I then looked up the part number and found that I could get a Stabilus strut from Auodoc for £32.

This turned out to be quite a cheap fix but quite time consuming as I had to take the trim etc. apart twice, once to find the part and number and once to put the new part in once it arrived. It did fix the problem and the noise from the motor also changed as before it sound like it was struggling a bit to open the tailgate which presumably it was.

So I would highly recommend that you look at what mechanism you have by taking it apart and getting the actual part numbers of your one. Time consuming but worth it. I also have no idea how similar the new XC90 tailgate is compared to the P3 V70.
kdst5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdst5 For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2022, 18:17   #10
Seasider72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdst5 View Post
I had this problem on my V70 and watched the YouTube video posted above as the XC70 and V70 have basically the same interiors. However I knew that Volvo changed the tailgate system part way through the XC70/V70 P3 run.

So instead of buying the parts before starting I took the existing strut off and got the part number off that. I also found that indeed Volvo had changed the design and there is only one strut of a different design from the one in the Video. I then looked up the part number and found that I could get a Stabilus strut from Auodoc for £32.

This turned out to be quite a cheap fix but quite time consuming as I had to take the trim etc. apart twice, once to find the part and number and once to put the new part in once it arrived. It did fix the problem and the noise from the motor also changed as before it sound like it was struggling a bit to open the tailgate which presumably it was.

So I would highly recommend that you look at what mechanism you have by taking it apart and getting the actual part numbers of your one. Time consuming but worth it. I also have no idea how similar the new XC90 tailgate is compared to the P3 V70.
Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Seasider72 For This Useful Post:

Tags
pump, sinks, struts, tailgate, v60