Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Control arm issues.

Views : 1616

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2019, 21:00   #21
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John97Tdi View Post
Hi cheshired5.
for some reason the strut, when 'released' extended beyond where it was located by the control arm/balljoint so I could never force the control arm far enough down for it to re-engage.

Could it be that the upper spring seat is about to completely collapse, causing the spring to become partly 'uncompressed' from the strut rod ? That would explain an 'extended' strut. Anyhow, if everything up there is still original, new spring seats are certainly on the menu as well - either Sachs or CRP/Rein
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 17:35   #22
R-P
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
On genuine Volvo control arms, they certainly can be levered down to fit as per the instructions in Vida.
My YouTube video doesn't skip this and shows the procedure clearly enough.
I had different brand control arms (MOOG I think, still have the boxes to store the original old Volvo ones and I have since bought all replacement rubbers, so plenty to do on a rainy day).

When I did this, several years back, I think I followed this video. And the shot at 2:34 shows the control arm dangling downward enough to fit the bolt in without any straps or levers. In my case, it would be far more horizontal instead of dangling down by its own weight. No matter how far I loosened the bolts bolting it to the frame or levered it down, it would never get low enough to fit the bolt shown at 2:34 in the hole.
So either the car from the vid has lowered shocks and springs, my control arms had the rubbers in the wrong angle or both.

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R-P For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2019, 23:37   #23
greasyfingers

This may sound obvious, but I spent hours and hours trying to get the right control arm to fit on the left side. All the more embarrassing when I discovered they were marked L and R.

There is a slight swan neck to the arm - this has to go downwards.
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 15:03   #24
John97Tdi
Master Member

That was one of the first things I checked for when I realised it wouldn't go!

Just awaiting a break in the rain ( probably next week looking at the forecast!) to put everything back together and find out what issues the drivers side can throw at me.

Cheers

John
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 23:46   #25
oragex
Premier Member

I too preffer not working when it's raining/wet, even slightly. Installing a wet bolt, will have it rust and get stuck and be funny to undo in the future.
Old Sep 28th, 2019, 11:54   #26
Tomoose

I learned this lesson the hard way too.

I now know it's much easier to remove the 2 lower strut bolts, gives you way more room and makes the job a doddle. The only downside is you will need an alignment after as these 2 bolts adjust the camber.

Generally I'm really impressed with how nice the car is to work on, great engineering!
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote