Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA T5 (I4 turbo) burning smell

Views : 871

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2019, 15:19   #1
Grant888

Default VEA T5 (I4 turbo) burning smell

Hi guys

After some advice and to see if anybody has had or heard of this problem..

When driving the car at a bit of a pace I.e needing to overtake on the motorway or generally needing a quick burst of the throttle for whatever reason.

The car lets in a smell through the vents, normally when I have backed off the throttle.. I’d say it’s a slightly exhaust like smell/kinda chemically..

So, here’s the weird parts
Only happens if the AC is ON
Only happens when recirculating air is ON

It’s been to the dealers twice and they have checked it over and can’t find any issue..

Now they have told me they have contacted Sweden and have been informed various S60/V60/V40 have had this issue in the past and the culprit is the rear boot rubber...

Right, ok! So they believe when the air passes around the car at high speeds and on throttle overrun a pocket of air behind the car pushes fumes into the boot and then recirculates all within 5-10 seconds of releasing the throttle and pumps it out of the front air vents..

They’re gonna change the rear rubber on Monday.

Is it only me who find this a weird concept to happen!?

Has anyone suffered with this issue before ?

I personally believe it won’t change anything..
But they said this is the first step Sweden has told them to do!
Also, the rubber looks brand new! The car is less than 5 years old.
Grant888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 16:31   #2
jasmith44
jasmith44

If I was you I would mark the rubber (not to obvious ) and see if it has been changed,just in case it still smells.Hope is on your side.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 20:58   #3
Grant888

Default Update!

Update!

With the air vents off completely
No AC or standard
Recirculating on or off

With the windows down and give it a boot the smell comes in.

I believe it’s coming from the engine bay.
Or their idea was right and it is a vacuum behind the car.
Grant888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 22:41   #4
User14

I would really like to know how this works out. I have had a similar issue and can't sort it out..

Below is a copy of my issue:

I don’t get any smoke, but I get a smell of oil (maybe diesel) in the cabin, somedays stronger than others.
It is more noticeable when the Aircon is on auto and recirculate, or Aircon off, and just in Fan mode.
There is no smell, if the vents are closed and the fan and aircon off.

I will occasionally notice it when I come back to the car and I've left the vents open and the engine has been off but cooling down.

Someone on the Volvo forum had a similar issue, suggested that
..",vaccum pump seal was leaking and oil was droping on top of the gear box” - not sure if I have the same problem.

I have changed the internal aircon filter recently, but noticed no change in the strength or frequency of the smell.

I have had a look at all the boot/door seals as suggested, but to no avail, and no obvious leaks or “sweats” in the engine compartment, but the important thing is there is no smell if the vents are closed, so it must be coming up from the vents.

The external air intake is from below the wipers and the whole climate system works very efficiently, the recirculate correctly filters out external road/other vehicle smells.
As a test, I placed a strong air freshener in the engine compartment, to see if any smell would leak through from there to the cabin, and am yet to smell it, so importantly, that eliminates fumes from the engine compartment itself.

Update: Took it to my local non-dealer garage today and was told that they suspect that there is oil in the manifold, and that maybe the Turbo is on the way out. -
They were very helpful and gave me the name of another mechanic that knows Volvos very well, so I will be getting hold of them soon as I have time.

However, there is no smoke from the exhaust or engine or anywhere else; the car drives like a dream, and consumption is exactly what it should be.
User14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 23:03   #5
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I sometimes get a smell of engine oil (not fuel) coming in through my air vents, more noticeably when the start/stop has turned the engine off (but not always). However mine is a diesel VEA.

Others have reported similar issues to mine in a recent thread, although all are diesel models. Perhaps it's unrelated, but I'm wondering if it's actually a VEA issue but there's just a lot more diesels? https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297903
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 21:20   #6
User14

Did you have any solution to this issue with the boot seal/vacuum issue?
User14 is offline   Reply With Quote