Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Free data MY2020

Views : 4634

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2019, 11:37   #1
XCWilts

Default Free data MY2020

Has anybody had trouble trying to create a Vodafone account after setting up the free Sim data card ?
It all seems to work but the Vodafone site won’t accept that you are using the vehicle hotspot?
XCWilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 12:28   #2
MtillingVolvo
Sales Monkey @Volvo Npton

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCWilts View Post
Has anybody had trouble trying to create a Vodafone account after setting up the free Sim data card ?
It all seems to work but the Vodafone site won’t accept that you are using the vehicle hotspot?
Seems there are some ongoing issues:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297482

I've just emailed the Product Manager within Volvo UK to ensure they are aware of the issues and on the case to fix it....

Main Dealer Based in Northampton
mtilling@bellsmotorgroup.co.uk

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Sep 16th, 2019 at 12:33.
MtillingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:03   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCWilts View Post
This is the responsibility of the dealer , it should have been activated on your PDI , let them sort it out ...
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:05   #4
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This is the responsibility of the dealer , it should have been activated on your PDI , let them sort it out ...
Hi,

The Dealer does indeed install the SIM and ensure the correct settings are set up on the car itself and then the customer has to log into the car WiFi and set up a Vodafone account. The second part of this seems to be the part that is causing the problem at present.

Volvo are on the case (apparently have a call with Vodafone today about it) and I'll update this thread once more is known.

Kind Regards

Marc

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Sep 16th, 2019 at 16:11.
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:13   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Hi,

The Dealer does indeed activate the SIM and ensure the correct settings are set up on the car itself and then the customer has to log into the car WiFi and set up a Vodafone account. The second part of this seems to be the part that is causing the problem at present.

Volvo are on the case (apparently have a call with Vodafone today about it) and I'll update this thread once more is known.

Kind Regards

Marc
Doesn't the dealer ensure it's working on the handover? Ahh more IT problems , I think Volvo's entire IT system including their web sites are the worst in the industry one way and another :-) If only they were as easy and reliable as their internal QW90 system which has been running sweetly and lightening fast for the last 30 years...
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 16:22   #6
MtillingVolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Doesn't the dealer ensure it's working on the handover? Ahh more IT problems , I think Volvo's entire IT system including their web sites are the worst in the industry one way and another :-) If only they were as easy and reliable as their internal QW90 system which has been running sweetly and lightening fast for the last 30 years...
Some dealers will do yes, although the end result would be the same due to the fact the issue is there at present....

The vast majority of our cars are delivered out all over the country and by the time our drivers have gone through the multitude of tech on our vehicles it has been easier to leave the customer with the details and let them set up the account at their leisure.

Up until now this has been fine and we've had no issues. At present there is an issue which, as i've mentioned, Volvo are aware of so please give them a chance to get this sorted and I'll report back as and when I hear more.

In the meantime, hopefully the world isn't going to come to a standstill because a few people can't set up a FREE data SIM for a few more days.....

Update - 16:45 -

All I know at present is that Volvo are aware there is an issue and working with Vodafone to have it resolved ASAP, but no timeline at this moment.

I'll continue to update as and when I have any further information.

Kind Regards

Marc

Last edited by MtillingVolvo; Sep 16th, 2019 at 17:45.
The Following User Says Thank You to MtillingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 16th, 2019, 21:26   #7
XCWilts

Mine seems quite happy without an account. It’s downloaded some map updates and just seems to be getting on with it. :thinking
I’m sure it will all be fine
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 13:49   #8
MtillingVolvo

Hi,

Bit of feedback.

Apparently some of the issues are being caused by the "Safari" browser on Apple Products. If anyone on here is having issues and using Safari please can you try downloading an alternative browser onto your phone, trying again and let me know how you get on.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Old Sep 21st, 2019, 17:03   #9
XCWilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtillingVolvo View Post
Hi,

Bit of feedback.

Apparently some of the issues are being caused by the "Safari" browser on Apple Products. If anyone on here is having issues and using Safari please can you try downloading an alternative browser onto your phone, trying again and let me know how you get on.

Thanks in advance.

Marc
Marc, If you set it up using a Windows PC it works fine. Tried Google on IOS and it wouldn’t connect. All working now and very happy with the car so thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to XCWilts For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 09:32   #10
MtillingVolvo

Many thanks for the feedback.