Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help on decoding VIN number

Views : 698

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 16th, 2019, 23:28   #1
FS2000

Default Help on decoding VIN number

Hi,
I am new here and please, would like to get some help decoding the following 1980 Volvo 244 GL VIN number. *2444A1579885*
The car has a 2.1L engine with one SU carb. I dont know the HP. The car belongs to a friend and needs new headlights to pass inspection. The car is in the Azores. Attached pictures of the VIN plate and registration document.
Thank you in advance.
Carlos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1980 VOLVO 244 VIN #.jpg (107.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2372.jpg (203.2 KB, 6 views)
FS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 18:19   #2
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi Carlos

google 'help on 240 VIN code decoder' (or similar) and you will get a link to the VOC VIN code decoder. Should sort you out

I took a quick look and got 1980, 244 with M45 gearbox. So take a look to sort it out

Good luck

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 12:26   #3
FS2000

Hi Nick,
Thank you for the reply.
I have been there but it does no help with the manufaturing date.
I need to know if the car is before or after August 1980 to get the correct set of headlights. Cannot belieave these cars are so dificult to figure.
Thank you anyway.
Carlos
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 14:02   #4
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Carlos,

If you post a picture of the front of the car, then it’ll be easy to see which kind of headlights you need- but this is a forum for people in the uk so our cars are rhd, and yours will be lhd, so uk supplier’s won’t be able to help.

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 19:39   #5
c1800
Master Member

I think you can send an email to this address with your serial number and get build date and other particulars about the car.

museum@volvo.com
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 10:16   #6
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

It will probably have either 7" diameter round headlamps or similarly sized square units for which the round lamps, with their carriers, are a direct replacement.

The attached photo shows my 1979-model 244 with its original lamps. I replaced them with 7" round ones when the reflectors failed.

It might have the larger, rectangular lamps fitted though I believe ony the GLE and 260 models had those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olaf_01.jpg (171.6 KB, 9 views)

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 11:33   #7
FS2000

Hi to all,

Thank you very much for the input.

I dont have a picture of the car but will try get one. Have to go to its garage to get one.

The car has the big square headlights and I have sourced a set at Polar Parts, but its for a 08 - 1980 on. When I send them the VIN they say it doesn't mean anything. Whell that's the problem. Need to know if the the car is before or after August 1980. You can find them for 1981 onwords very easy.

Sent a mail to the museum and hope to get some help.

Switching to round lights is also an option. Where can I source a complete set for a LHD car?

I have to check and see if the glass on those lights cames off and maby repair the reflectors. Will see.

Again, thank you all.

Carlos
Old Sep 26th, 2019, 23:24   #8
FS2000

Hi,

I think I got it now.

I had a gentleman from Porto City Auto Sueco Automóveis II send me an e-mail with the national registration record for the car, and the part numbers for the headlamps are 1235679 and 1235680.

https://classic-volvo.com/262-264/li...-lhd-only.html

https://classic-volvo.com/262-264/li...0-22x18cm.html

Thanks
Carlos
Old Sep 27th, 2019, 16:56   #9
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS2000 View Post
Hi to all,

Thank you very much for the input.

I dont have a picture of the car but will try get one. Have to go to its garage to get one.

The car has the big square headlights and I have sourced a set at Polar Parts, but its for a 08 - 1980 on. When I send them the VIN they say it doesn't mean anything. Whell that's the problem. Need to know if the the car is before or after August 1980. You can find them for 1981 onwords very easy.

Sent a mail to the museum and hope to get some help.

Switching to round lights is also an option. Where can I source a complete set for a LHD car?

I have to check and see if the glass on those lights cames off and maby repair the reflectors. Will see.

Again, thank you all.

Carlos
If the lamps are the nearly square ones then the round lamps will fit, provided that you get the plastic carriers/surrounds for them. There are 2 turnbuckle clips on the bonnet landing panel that secure the carrier; undo them and the lamp assembly will lift out, but disconnect the lamp plug before doing so. I don't know how the larger rectangular lamps, as fitted to the 264/265 and the 244/245 GLE and very early GLT, are mounted, but you may also need a replacement grille.

The lenses may be secured with a series of clips that hold them on to the lamp housings; use a large flat-bladed screwdriver to lever them up, but put a towel under the assembly to protect the lens when it falls out.

You will lose the headlamp wipers but that may not be a problem.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 16:59   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/vin_200.shtml

Link to the 200 series VIN decoding page!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: