Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

intermittent Dead Battery

Views : 1014

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2019, 15:35   #1
TillM

Default intermittent Dead Battery

Hi all,

I have searched the threads and Googled my issue and I cannot seem to find an answer.
I had my XC70 serviced (108,000 ) at a main dealer before we left for our holiday in France.
Everything was fine until late in the day on the second day of driving down the 700miles to the midi pyrenes . Then the air con packed up, no big deal I thought these things happen and I will get it looked at when we get back, then the rear park assist decides to display a warning " Park Assist Requires Service" upon restarting the car this message goes away and has not come back, but I am down one sensor. (I am including this in case its relevant).

Ok, car is still working, then out of the blue the following happens.

Pull into a garage to refuel, turn off the ignition leave the keys in the slot and fill up with diesel. Get back in the car and nothing, no electrics at all. cannot eject the fob the car is totally dead. So I think maybe its a fuse (dumb I know, but let start with basics), Pop the bonnet open and no fuse is blown that I can see, close the bonnet and everything springs back to life.

We drive off and everything is fine, still no aircon and only partially working reverse sensors. OK, I treat it as a one off.

Today I see a nice view that I want to take a few photos of, stop the car leave the key in the slot, wife is in the car. Step outside for about 5 mins and exactly the same thing happens, car is totally dead np electrics. So I open the bonnet, do not do anything its still dead, close the bonnet and hey presto everything springs into life.

So is this a "security feature" or is there something more bizarre going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

It will be going into the garage when I get back, but that not until the 11th August.

A brand battery was fitted to the car a year ago.

I have RAC European breakdown cover, but I am crossing everything in the hope that this will not be needed.

My wife went to get into the car, pressed unlock the alarm goes off, remote appears to be Thinking its a dead battery in the remote, I manage to get a new battery from a friendly Englishman living close by, try the new battery car is still dead. Manually open the car with the key, no alarm. Everything is dead. Pop the bonnet, check the battery is not loose, nothing go to close the bonnet and everything springs back into life. Remote is working fine, can lock and unlock the car. Now I am even more confused.

Thinking this is an ECU problem, but how does it cut the battery power out completely !

Last edited by TillM; Jul 30th, 2019 at 17:14. Reason: Updated
TillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 21:53   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

It's likely corrosion on the battery terminals and connections on the high current leads, or a loose battery terminal (strong clue - a mechanic was under the bonnet before you went away...)

Most unlikely the battery, it wouldn't fully recover.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 11:14   #3
TillM

Default Intermittent Electrical cut out worsening

OK, An update is that it was all working and we drove 5k this morning to a small town and it cut out again. lifted the bonnet and closed it, nothing. Then decided if it was the slamming of the bonnet causing it to kick back into life that its probably something not connecting properly. So I thumped the fuse cover with my fist and it sprung into life.
Have taken it to a small garage, where the garage owners wife speaks English. they tested the battery and the connections, everything as it should be. checked the fuses and everything OK, Then it cut out again, so did the trick on the cover of the fuse and it kicked into life again. The owner phoned the Volvo Dealership in Agen and just our luck the technician is away on holiday. So after some more testing and it cutting out 3 more times. Started looking at the fuse cover diagram, the thinking is that the problem is one of the two grey relays at the top end of the fuse box. These have been ordered from a supplier and , I am getting a lift to the Volvo dealers in Agen to collect them in the morning.
Hopefully this will cure the problem.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 12:42   #4
TillM

Default Temporary fix

The garage has found the problem, there are two connections to the positive terminal of the battery, the one feeding the fuses etc has a cover over the middle of the connection and a thin piece of metal between the two halves, this has a hair line crack. So as a temporary fix, that garage has soldered it together, not ideal I know. But it will hold (I hope) until we get back to the UK and I can get it replaced. Probably the whole cable.

I have also found this on a similar issue.

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...rminal-problem

I have attached a picture from the site showing the same problem, that I have.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Terminal.JPG (75.9 KB, 39 views)
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 15:49   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I don't know if it really is but that section looks like it's been designed to be fusible. Why else would they reduce the width of the connecting metal? If that is the case, what blew it?
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 17:16   #6
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I don't know if it really is but that section looks like it's been designed to be fusible. Why else would they reduce the width of the connecting metal? If that is the case, what blew it?
It didn’t blow. It’s metal fatigue. Stress fracture.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 12:12   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Fair enough but I'd still be interested in what the narrowing of the metal component is supposed to contribute to the design of the part. It looks deliberate. Why shape it that way when it could run full width? I does seem deliberate. Could it have a built-in fusibility? Would that serve any purpose?
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 15:59   #8
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Fair enough but I'd still be interested in what the narrowing of the metal component is supposed to contribute to the design of the part. It looks deliberate. Why shape it that way when it could run full width? I does seem deliberate. Could it have a built-in fusibility? Would that serve any purpose?
If not a hefty fuse, could it be designed to separate in a collision?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 17:43   #9
kzu

Hi
Turned out battery is damaged in some strange way.
Won't take charge at all.
Strange because it's VARTA silver 85Ah, 800A, max18 months old and I just a month ago did 3000mile trip to Europe.
Supplier of original battery refusing to exchange it even though it's been tested by 3 different places all tried to charge it and all confirmed something is wrong with it as it is not taking the charge.
Anyway, Alternator is providing 14.2V, with all possible electrics in the car switched on. Can't measure current as misplaced my clamp meter.
Will see how it goes.
Only issue after battery was out of the car for few days is that windows do not go up and down automatically after pulling switch to the end and mirrors do not fold every time when I close the car with remote but will need to get it sorted on next service.
Unless you know the way to make it work without visiting the workshop.
kzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 17:54   #10
tommyweaves
Premier Member

The window issue is a simple one: when the window is down pull the switch up until window's fully closed and hold it there for 10 seconds. Do that for each window in turn.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post: