Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Oil Service Required" Message

Views : 18611

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 21:44   #11
ianmac22

Default V90 Oil Service Required Warning Light

I have a 2018 V90 D4 and tonight 6 months after its first service I have a warning light in yellow which reads Oil Service Required.
There is no dipstick in the car and it will not let me see the level through the Car Statistic screen as it just gives the option of Owners Manual or book Workshop Appointment.
The manual states that the oil level may be too high rather than too low.
Anybody experienced this problem that could give feedback on what the outcome was?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m worrying about driving the car as I cannot get it to a Volvo dealer for a few days.
ianmac22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 15:55   #12
p10ness

My V60 D4 16 plate has just done that too. Dealer charged me £60 to drain half a litre of oil from the engine and kept me waiting nearly 3 hours to do it.

Now, to say that I'm not best pleased would be an understatement. The service receptionist tried to tell me that all diesel engined cars have the same issue,but I beg to differ.
We have Merc and VW oil burners at home too, and none of them gradually overfills the sump due to failed DPF regeneration. I was further advised that the car needed to do a good percentage of motorway miles to prevent a recurrance of this problem.

I can't find any wording in the sales brochure that tells me that I cannot use the car for 20mile each way trips without this problem. To be honest I was made to feel as though it was my fault entirely!
This is obviously poor design from Volvo on VEA D4 unit- on the back of the EGR cooling nonsense that a lot of us have had to contend with.

I certainly won't be buying Volvo diesel again- but as they are reportedly ceasing production any way I won't be able to. Good thing I'd say.
p10ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 19:17   #13
piotrek

If dpf regen is suspected culprit in your predicament, a ELM327 reader and simple phone app will display both the exact oil level (in mm) and DPF soot (grams), as well as the DPF regen, which may take up to 20 minutes.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=296736&page=2

ianmac22 - this app will not work on your SPA platform, though (no DPF soot nor oil level available in the new V90).
piotrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 17:35   #14
whiten
Volvofaithful

My 2017 xc60 D4 is in the dealer garage as we speak with the same issue. I’m currently sat in waiting area awaiting their diagnosis. Should I be a little grumpy if the oil level is too high? Will it have damaged the engine? Did they overfill last service (6mths ago)??? What with the drive shaft gaiter screech debarcle I’m not that impressed with this car. Only 45mpg overall with mix of driving, rock hard ride and a pretty pants driving experience. Oh and the HK stereo is rubbish.

My old S60 D5 is much nicer car. 53mpg and a wonderful hifi....
Questions, questions...
2004 E3 S60 D5 SE facelift with prem pack | V40 1.8 SE | 360 GLT Plus a few other 360’s, 240 GLT & 740 GLT
whiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 19:39   #15
whiten
Volvofaithful

Service manager came out smiling after 45 minutes saying ‘just a software glitch, we have updated it and all is fine’

Hmm 🤔 I know I sound sceptical but I’m thinking they’ve drained some oil off in those 45...😆
2004 E3 S60 D5 SE facelift with prem pack | V40 1.8 SE | 360 GLT Plus a few other 360’s, 240 GLT & 740 GLT
whiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2019, 13:36   #16
nkclair

Hi all, i had this popped up twice and even gave it a good run on the motorway, took back to dealers this Saturday and there did some checks. And what there did was drained the oil and replaced with a new oil and filter (there say) but top the oil to 4.8 Liters instead of 5 liters. I'll just got to monitor it. Hope this helps. There recommend 4.8 to give room in case.
nkclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 14:13   #17
macosta

Default Same issue here

Have the same issue here, "Oil service required" coming up on the dash "Overfilled" after checking. Going back for the second time in two months due to the same issue. Never saw the DPF regeneration light on once, never done a short trip, my comute envolves at least 30 or 40 miles and did at least 12k miles in the last 7 months. The last time the excuse was Diesel leaking into the sump.?? Volvo V60 D4 R Lux Nav 18 plate.
macosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 14:22   #18
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkclair View Post
Hi all, i had this popped up twice and even gave it a good run on the motorway, took back to dealers this Saturday and there did some checks. And what there did was drained the oil and replaced with a new oil and filter (there say) but top the oil to 4.8 Liters instead of 5 liters. I'll just got to monitor it. Hope this helps. There recommend 4.8 to give room in case.
Did they reset the oil level gauge after changing the oil? That is a mandatory part of the job .. 5 litres exactly is the correct volume of oil for an oil change ....