Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm keeps sounding

Views : 1057

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 17:39   #1
GrahamV

Default Alarm keeps sounding

Hi
I have a 2011 C70. When I got back to the car yesterday there was an error message saying to check the car as the alarm had sounded (or words to that effect).
Then today, the alarm went off for no apparent reason

I'm concerned it may go off in the middle of the night and disturb the neighbours. Any ideas what I should be checking as I don't really know where to start looking

Thanks, Graham
GrahamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 18:26   #2
phil1968
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264425

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 21:47   #3
GrahamV

Thanks for the link. That thread is about the alarm going off as soon as it is switched on.
Mine doesn't go off immediately, I am guessing/hoping maybe its a spider or something. Is that possible?
Old Sep 9th, 2019, 22:23   #4
iainmd

It's fairly likely that the battery in the siren unit is shot. I had that on both the S40 and V50 so bought a newer second hand siren unit and swapped them over which solved the problem. Given your car is a 2011 model you'll struggle to do that so you can either split the siren unit open and change the battery yourself if you're moderately handy with DIY and electrics (there is a thread on the forum somewhere about this) or get a new siren unit from Volvo.

On a V50/S40 it's located in the plenum chamber under the windscreen at the rear of the engine bay, normally on the passenger side.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 14:29   #5
upv5
VOC Member

My money is on the movement sensor located in the middle of the headlining, this often fails and just sets off the alarm for no apparent reason. Connecting to Vida will tell you what sensor set off the alarm for at least the last 10 occasions.
A temporary solution is unclip the sensor and disconnect the wiring, you will get an "alarm fault" on the dash every time you start the car but just clear it, hopefully the alarm will no longer randomly sound.
I bought one off ebay for £15 and it works OK.
If the alarm still sounds with the movement sensor disconnected I'm afraid it is another fault, best of luck.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 20:49   #6
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamV View Post
Thanks for the link. That thread is about the alarm going off as soon as it is switched on.
Mine doesn't go off immediately, I am guessing/hoping maybe its a spider or something. Is that possible?
Sometimes it would take a while before the alarm would go off, usually in the early hours The siren module internal battery has a life of 8 to 10 years, when it expires it gives the symptoms described. As per that link I posted I replaced the siren module about 18 months ago & it's been fine since.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 22:36   #7
GrahamV

Thanks again for the input.

Last night I took my chances and left the car unlocked so there was no risk it would disturb the neighbours. Then I locked it this morning and it didnt go off all day. Have unlocked it again for tonight. So have only had two false alarms so far
Following on from what John has said - I have a generic diagnostics machine, would that show the reason for the alarm sounding do you think?

I have tried to find a source for a new unit, but cant seem to find anything online (other than used one's on ebay that might also have battery problems I guess) - Would anyone know a good company to try?

Many thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2019, 17:37   #8
upv5
VOC Member

A generic code reader usually only reads engine faults where as Vida reads everything including alarm faults and it records alarm events and what sensor caused it. Disconnecting the Mass Movement sensor does not disable the alarm it just won't pick up movement in the car. When ours started playing up the alarm just randomly went off usually in the middle of the night.

John

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 19:06   #9
srcholmes

I found that if I left my mobile phone in the car (with it turned on), that would trigger the alarm at random intervals...

Also, if you are worried, try turning off the motion sensors - press the left hand button at the map light cluster in the headlining just before pulling the key out after turning the engine off and getting out of the car. You should get the "Reduced Guard" message come up.

Thanks
Steve
srcholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 21:45   #10
GrahamV

Thanks for the comments
I haven't posted an update, as I have been monitoring things. I left it unlocked quite a bit so as not to disturb neighbours. But whilst on, it had behaved itself, but only until yesterday.
Your post got me thinking. Especially Steve's note about his mobile phone.

I looked at my user manual and it says one of the alarm sensors is under the cup holder of the centre console and that you shouldn't leave coins, keys, etc in the cup holder as metals can trigger the alarm.
Took a look in mine and I have £2, 4 x £1, 10p, 1p and for good measure, an old screw I found in the drive!
The coins are a relatively new addition as I had got caught out without money for a car park ticket. So I am hoping this might be the problem.
Still not brave enough to risk disturbing neighbours at night, but will see how I get on during the day
Graham