Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

really fed up

Views : 5020

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 08:29   #21
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

That's what mine did when the sender failed. Sometimes it would half work, sometimes it was dead.

That's when I swapped it (long story!) for a working good one, and eventually found the connector pins had reverse colour orientation.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 17:23   #22
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

well seems like i have some good news at long last!!!

took the car to volmech and they tested the instrument panel in another car and it was working fine, the wiring from the sensor was all ok and the drum in the diff was fine too

turns out that the sensor was not giving the correct reading and was too low on the ohms? its really annoyed me as the autolec said he tested the sensor and it was fine and charged me £67 for the privilege

so just by replacing the sensor with a used one doesnt mean that the the part is ok!!

the sensor in my car is from an earlier 240 and harder to source which leads me to belive the axle has been changed at some point.

the new sensor is on order at a cost of £116 and should be here in a few days time, fingers crossed this time

thanks for your help with this so far!!! much appreciated ill report back when the new sensors fitted.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 08:31   #23
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

If I am reading your posts correctly you have an earlier-style axle and non-bolt kind of sensor, working compatibly with a later speedo head?
That at least is useful information, as I have previously read that people found an inexplicable incompatibility when swapping axles, and had to swap speedos too to match.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:25   #24
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

I have a none bolt sensor according to volvo garage my vin number should have a bolt in one fitted but has push in type. From that info can only mean the axle has been changed at some point?
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 11:46   #25
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

swapping the instrument panel hasnt worked, and today a new sensor has arrived £105 !!! dropped it off for them to fit and see what happens.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 13:41   #26
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

It's 1.40 pm and I can't wait to hear whether it works!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 13:47   #27
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

Me too
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 15:17   #28
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

well it didnt do much good as the speedo still not working, he said jes going to take the diff cover off as it may be distorted and lettin in too much air, though i dont know what that has to do with the sensor?? its getting really annoying now and im close to just getting rid.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 16:31   #29
morsing
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240 View Post
... he said jes going to take the diff cover off as it may be distorted and lettin in too much air...
????????
'70 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
'95 Saab 9000 CSE 2.0 Turbo Auto
morsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 17:21   #30
BOB MY BIG OLD BUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
????????
thats what i thought???