Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 - no power when kick down

Views : 10919

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 20th, 2018, 08:56   #1
NorthantsPete

Default D5 - no power when kick down

Hey
So i noticed this really weird problem after a long 360 mile run out

At about 310 miles and after a fillup of fuel ,the car goes into low power mode (not limp/no errors on dash) you try to kick down and theres just no power like there's a rabbit caught in my air intake.

So, next day fire, up problem is gone and its driving like a beast.
No issues for the next couple of days. last night it was a monster, really shifting well. I go to fill up with tesco diesel (i know i know) an add my ecomax additive.

So today i fire her up go down the motorway and theres no power again. I was driving like miss daisy, so I didnt notice until i went uphill to overtake something and couldnt. If i squeeze the throttle i can get upto any speed i like but kick down and flaw it and the revs rise slower than normal and no power.

185bhp D5 07 400nm (or 20nm in this mode!)

Any ideas? Its non permanent so it isnt the usual pipes leaking etc. and weird it happens twice after a refill of fuel. Last time i didnt have my additive so put in Shelll Vpower and this happened. L

Last edited by NorthantsPete; Apr 20th, 2018 at 08:59.
NorthantsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 09:57   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Morning....

The notion that it is supermarket fuel is unfounded. There are six refineries that produce petrol in the UK and none of them are owned by Supermarkets..... it's the same stuff more or less that you get from a branded forecourt.

First thing is to get is plugged in to some diagnostic equipment that understands Volvo - i.e. preferably Volvo VIDA at a dealer or Indie. There are a number of faults that can put the 185 D5 into a not well documented "restricted power" mode (rather than limp mode) and this doesn't put any lights or messages on the dashboard.

The scenarios I have personally experienced are intermittent or complete failures of the DPF and Catalyst temperature sensors. In this mode the revs are limited to around 3k rpm, but under that it will drive okay so it's possible not to notice - even on an auto - if you are just pottering about.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2018, 11:24   #3
colinbos
2008 XC90 D5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
Hey

and weird it happens twice after a refill of fuel. Last time i didnt have my additive so put in Shelll Vpower and this happened. L
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed ?
colinbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 16:52   #4
seanc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthantsPete View Post
Hey
So i noticed this really weird problem after a long 360 mile run out

At about 310 miles and after a fillup of fuel ,the car goes into low power mode (not limp/no errors on dash) you try to kick down and theres just no power like there's a rabbit caught in my air intake.

So, next day fire, up problem is gone and its driving like a beast.
No issues for the next couple of days. last night it was a monster, really shifting well. I go to fill up with tesco diesel (i know i know) an add my ecomax additive.

So today i fire her up go down the motorway and theres no power again. I was driving like miss daisy, so I didnt notice until i went uphill to overtake something and couldnt. If i squeeze the throttle i can get upto any speed i like but kick down and flaw it and the revs rise slower than normal and no power.

185bhp D5 07 400nm (or 20nm in this mode!)

Any ideas? Its non permanent so it isnt the usual pipes leaking etc. and weird it happens twice after a refill of fuel. Last time i didnt have my additive so put in Shelll Vpower and this happened. L
My D3 had a split turbo pipe which would intermittently put it into proper limp mode, tell tale was that I could hear it hissing, I presume you're not hearing anything unusual on yours....
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 14:45   #5
NorthantsPete

No its really weird. it was dodgey this morning, fine last night and fine at lunch today

literally hit and miss, rev, no power, like my maf used to on my old mk2 petrol turbo.
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 14:35   #6
Andy c70

Might be worth checking the little plastic arm that controls the swirl flaps, I had this problem and the arm was disconnected from one end, I also had fault codes for the MAP sensor but it could have been all down to that little bit of plastic! It's just under the engine cover to the front left looking from in front of the car, you'll probably see it hanging if it's disconnected.
Andy c70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy c70 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 22:50   #7
apersson850
Premier Member

I had the waste gate control valve malfunctioning on my car. Just barely made 90 km/h when towing an empty trailer. Slowed down even in a slight uphill.
apersson850 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 13:01   #8
NorthantsPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy c70 View Post
Might be worth checking the little plastic arm that controls the swirl flaps, I had this problem and the arm was disconnected from one end, I also had fault codes for the MAP sensor but it could have been all down to that little bit of plastic! It's just under the engine cover to the front left looking from in front of the car, you'll probably see it hanging if it's disconnected.
interestingly the map sensor was hanging down when i bought the car, maybe they already knew of this fault and got a code to say similar.

ANy pics of this or more description, i cant see it?
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 22:14   #9
Andy c70

Hi,

The MAP sensor on mine (56 plate c70 D5) is behind the front bumper almost behind the fog light (right hand side looking at the car from front), it's located on the pipe from the intercooler. Had to remove bumper to get to it and couldn't see it from above, if you search for Volvo MAP sensor on eBay you'll see what it looks like.

When I initially had the problem I got a cheap obd reader from euro car parts for about £15 and got codes p2227 and p0069 that pointed toward the MAP sensor. Took me about an hour to do- bumper off, change sensor (1 min), bumper back on- and it's been fine since. The engine system service message cleared itself after a few days driving. If you go back a couple of weeks on the c70 <07 forum you'll find my post and the help I received!

Hope this helps

Andy
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 22:17   #10
Andy c70

The little black plastic arm that you might see hanging down is the control arm for the swirl flaps. You'll find lots of info if you Google 'Volvo D5 swirl flap control arm'