Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Exhaust Backbox

Views : 2788

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2016, 21:14   #11
850Chris
Premier Member

Right, enough is enough. Volvo will charge you a fortune for this. Get down to your nearest Longlife centre and get a quote for a stainless system. Will outlast the car and comes complete with lifetime guarantee. Sound can be tailored to your liking including no louder than the standard system through to the full on 'watch out, boyracer about!'

My bet is you'll get a full cat back system for not much off what Volvo will charge you for the back box alone, plus cost of fitting.

http://www.longlife.co.uk/

P.S. I'm not on commission!

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2016, 08:46   #12
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Chris View Post
Right, enough is enough. Volvo will charge you a fortune for this. Get down to your nearest Longlife centre and get a quote for a stainless system. Will outlast the car and comes complete with lifetime guarantee. Sound can be tailored to your liking including no louder than the standard system through to the full on 'watch out, boyracer about!'

My bet is you'll get a full cat back system for not much off what Volvo will charge you for the back box alone, plus cost of fitting.

http://www.longlife.co.uk/

P.S. I'm not on commission!
Out of curiosity is the S40's exhaust system components the same as the V50?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 18:01   #13
Mcpx

And out of more curiosity how much is a bespoke cat back stainless system likely to cost?
Old Feb 17th, 2016, 20:49   #14
850Chris
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
And out of more curiosity how much is a bespoke cat back stainless system likely to cost?
You'd have to get a quote from a Longlife Centre (or similar) but as a guide, I paid £400 fully fitted for a single outlet stainless steel system on my old V70. Twin outlet set up on my current V50 was more (£550 fully fitted) due to the section where exhaust splits into the two separate outlets requiring some fairly intricate welding, and some fancy polished tailpipes. I'm guessing OP probably looking at upwards of £200 for the OEM back box through Volvo, and then £50 or so to fit. That still leaves the central section as the original exhaust with failure of that section possibly following shortly.

With regards S40 v V50, as far as I'm aware, there is no difference between the exhausts.

2004 V50 T5 SE Manual

Now sold, off to BMW land for a while.
850Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 850Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 09:13   #15
Mcpx

Which V50 ia that on? I remember looking at the Miltek system for the D5 some time ago and that was almost twice the price so although it seems a lot, its really not that bad. And as you say, the only other option looks like Volvo and is not a whole lot cheaper anyway.

The guarantee is also impressive, who else in the motor industry, or any other industry for that matter, guarantees their product and workmanship for the life of the vehicle!
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 13:37   #16
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
Which V50 ia that on? I remember looking at the Miltek system for the D5 some time ago and that was almost twice the price so although it seems a lot, its really not that bad. And as you say, the only other option looks like Volvo and is not a whole lot cheaper anyway.

The guarantee is also impressive, who else in the motor industry, or any other industry for that matter, guarantees their product and workmanship for the life of the vehicle!

I had a new custom exhaust system on mine, covered for the lifetime of the vehicle. Was going for Miltek but unfortunately it didnt fit.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2016, 13:52   #17
iainmd

My Jetex was also warranted for the lifetime of the vehicle but Jetex only supply off the shelf for the T5 and T5 AWD.

If you're getting a stainless unit made I'd have thought you'd be better just paying for a full cat back system and be done with it rather than just the back box.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2016, 20:18   #18
ZeroTheHero

Default Now fixed

So eventually I got one in from Sweden via the local Volvo dealership and (because they were chokka in their workshop) got my local tyres and exhaust place to fit it.

So sorted - albeit at a cost of about £390

The nearest exhaust fabricator would only give me a ballpark price of between £350 and £450 plus fitting. Plus it would have meant a day of my time to go and wait while they did it.

Last edited by ZeroTheHero; Feb 28th, 2016 at 20:21.
ZeroTheHero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZeroTheHero For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 11:18   #19
domhart10
Volvo S40

at least its done now, yeh thats correct ... your car would be in for a while but the exhaust would be much better for your car allowing better air flow. Things like custom sounds etc as well, would really add an extra touch to that exhaust note.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2016, 12:39   #20
Welton
Premier Member

Not all custom stainless systems are a success though, especially on NA engines they can sound horrific and that would be a waste of money. I would have gone down the OE route myself in the OP's position. Turbo petrols offer a totally different sound, much quieter in general.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote