Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) dealer talking some sense

Views : 3597

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2021, 19:30   #1
volvocamper
Master Member

Default New (to me) dealer talking some sense

I am a customer of a small Volvo dealership in Suffolk who this time last year had their Volvo agency removed by Volvo (their site did not ‘fit’ with Volvo’s vision of the future). They can still service the cars but no Volvo support for warranty work/software upgrades/breakdown cover extension following a service.
The ‘big’ plush Volvo dealership is in Norwich but my son and father had not had great service from them so there is no way my OCD would have gone down well with them or me so, with guidance from my ex Volvo dealer i booked my car in online for its 3rd service and 1st MOT yesterday with Cecil & Larter in Bury St Edmunds. Turns out they voluntarily gave up their Volvo sales agency last year as they could not justify the cost to bring the showroom ‘up’ to the required Volvo glitzy standard so a deal was done so that they are now just official Volvo service and repair agents.
I did not need a courtesy car and so they made me as comfortable as possible in a small room while they serviced my car (there are ongoing works on a waiting/viewing lounge but that not ready yet)
It was interesting to hear the discussions with reception staff and customers which was all very professional and they obviously are a trusted well established dealer who know most customers well.
I heard several phone conversations with good advice given.
I then came to pay. Service was quoted at £275 and although i didnt ask a price i knew an MOT was about £50. My bill was £271 and a few pence - ‘you have forgotten the MOT i said’ and was told by the service manager that when they service and MOT Volvo’s the MOT is charged at £5 as the car is there, on the ramp anyway and many of the MOT test requirements were part of the service schedule anyway and they feel it is wrong to double charge their customers when there is no additional cost to themselves. I felt this was a most refreshing attitude. As a result my son will be taking is Volvo to them next month and they are Seat dealers too and my wife would like a Seat in Sept and will definitely speak to them post COVID.
The Aftersales Director came and introduced himself and acknowledged I had driven an hour to get there but assured me they are v keen to take over from my previous dealer.
All in all a good dealer experience.......so far!

Last edited by volvocamper; Mar 4th, 2021 at 19:33.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to volvocamper For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 19:38   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

That’s really good to learn. Well done to that dealership on fantastic customer service!

I really hope that they can continue this service and still turn over a good profit for themselves, would be sad if being this good to customers meant they lost money.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 23:08   #3
Bashy
Aged Member

good to know living in Weeting, Bury is only 20 mins away for me, then i also have the one near Kings Lynn too, the same distance i think
Old Mar 5th, 2021, 09:33   #4
GJB
Premier Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
good to know living in Weeting, Bury is only 20 mins away for me, then i also have the one near Kings Lynn too, the same distance i think
Remember the Kings Lynn dealer is owned by the Norwich dealer who is not know for good service IMHO
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 00:06   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Remember the Kings Lynn dealer is owned by the Norwich dealer who is not know for good service IMHO
Perhaps but surely not the same staff?
Old Mar 6th, 2021, 09:08   #6
GJB
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Perhaps but surely not the same staff?
Same attitude.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 18:23   #7
niva441

I'm not entirely surprised they've given up the sales franchise. I normally use the Bedford dealer, which is another smaller company. They've just had to spend a significant amount to update their showroom, including a electricity sub-station to facilitate charging electric vehicles. Given that Volvo have also announced they're going to fully online sales by 2030 and last year's drop in sales due to covid it makes a lot of sense.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 09:33   #8
davB

Five years ago I decided on a Volvo and wandered around local dealers thinking it would be a 'fun' experience. It was pretty horrible with various salesmen telling me lies (it was the 'last time buy' of the XC60 and 2 year interest free PCP) and basically them being unprofessional in trying to get a sale. Cecil and Larter was (and still is) different and I've been a loyal customer ever since. I like their truthful sales approach - and the servicing team act like a team. There has been various little incidents over the years to prove to me that they are a company to trust. It's a shame they decided to stop selling new Volvos - I would have happily gone back in a few years and bought another new one from them again.
davB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 11:18   #9
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davB View Post
Five years ago I decided on a Volvo and wandered around local dealers thinking it would be a 'fun' experience. It was pretty horrible with various salesmen telling me lies (it was the 'last time buy' of the XC60 and 2 year interest free PCP) and basically them being unprofessional in trying to get a sale. Cecil and Larter was (and still is) different and I've been a loyal customer ever since. I like their truthful sales approach - and the servicing team act like a team. There has been various little incidents over the years to prove to me that they are a company to trust. It's a shame they decided to stop selling new Volvos - I would have happily gone back in a few years and bought another new one from them again.
Interesting i was not the only one that found their attitude a refreshing change from the usual main dealer offering.
Ironically I rang them yesterday and booked my sons V40 in for service and MOT in a couple of weeks and I told them why he would be driving for an hour and that i liked what i had seen a few days ago - they seemed genuinely grateful for a ‘thank you’ and surprised that i had found my experience with them different to other main dealers.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 11:37   #10
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
Interesting i was not the only one that found their attitude a refreshing change from the usual main dealer offering.
Ironically I rang them yesterday and booked my sons V40 in for service and MOT in a couple of weeks and I told them why he would be driving for an hour and that i liked what i had seen a few days ago - they seemed genuinely grateful for a ‘thank you’ and surprised that i had found my experience with them different to other main dealers.
They would be I expect - lots of brickbats and very few plaudits from customers in general, no matter how good any company's service is.

I had occasion to complain to a large company the other week and the agent remarked on how kind I was being - and then proceeded to give me free stuff (which wasn't my agenda btw, just no point in giving that bloke a hard time as he was trying to help me).

But I'm also prepared to be a right P in the A if not met with helpfulness (I'm looking at you, EDFing useless!)
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote